Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I suppose the way I approach the search depends a little on how much knowledge I've gathered about the city, it's layout, and it's social structures. I'm assuming that I'm still putting it together and my knowledge base is sketchy at best. I imagine I'm a fairly empathetic person, so I'll be using that when I speak to others.

I hit up the obvious places first, drifting from taverns and commonrooms to town square and wandering the main thoroughfares. I will do more listening than talking, bringing up the subject of the Lion Guard traitors only as a matter of discussing the news the heralds are shouting about town. I judge the responses of those I'm talking to but I prefer to watch and listen for the conversations to pop up on their own. I let my eyes drift over people nearby to gauge their responses as well, to see if they're taking any unusual interest in the conversations. I will also watch for guard movements and try to discern a pattern. Whatever I find in this regard, I will move in the opposite direction of, hoping to outpace them. I will be careful not to cross their path or follow them closely. I will also watch for others asking similar questions. I'm content to let them think I'm an amateur of no real threat, out for the prize. I will listen surreptitiously to their own conversations when I can but I will not follow them, save with my eyes. Lastly, I will actively seek out healers on the pretense that I'd like to trade knowledge, herbs, and other paraphernalia. In reality, I will be looking for telltale signs of recent healing. Dirty bandages, bowls of bloody water, empty healing potion bottles, the sense of magic lingering on the air, and so on. My hope is that these methods will at least lead me to some clue of real value, if not to the men themselves.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am

Sorry for the delay. I will update tomorrow.

Edit: Done.
Last edited by knolli on Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri May 31, 2013 2:19 pm

"Now we are talking," the prisoner answers. "First, I think this little hideout of yours is too well prepared and too well stocked not to have some coins lying around somewhere. I would guess this noble knight has them hidden in a secret drawer in the desk over there and is proud of this glorious and unconventional idea of his. *snort* Second, why I was guest in this very exquisite quarters: you have to understand that it was all a missunderstanding." "Yeah, sure!" one of the squires interrupts. "Yes, really, it was. I got tricked by this start-up of a wannabe crime lord. To make a long story short, I was promissed riches but he just used me and left me behind in a very compromizing situation. I was set up. And third: The healer's called Butch. That's short for butcher. And that's his official profession now. Don't give that look, he knows how to patch someone up. He was with the army before he settled down. His workshop is in the Perfume District near the Last Breath's Inn. Can I take off the shackles now? They hurt."
You feel the desite to punch this slick bastard. Eadmund nearly does so for real: "This arrogant fool will probably betray us the moment we turn our back on him." "But what other choice do you have?" he answers with a wide grin and holds up his wrists.

Eadmund has been very happy to show you around the city and be your tour guide through many taverns since you came to the city few weeks ago. In some of them you don't even attract attention. Dwarves are not that common, but not too rare either. The news is all over the city and everyone is talking about the incident. Everyone has an opinion and most are just stupid or even hilarious, if not very sad. At one point you watch a band of guards enter the sewers. Immediately a band of wannabe head hunters follows them. The healers you visit are of no help. Some are willing to talk to you and even tell you whose tooth they just pulled or that the blood on the floor belongs to an unlucky mason. Others are simply unfriendly and tell you to piss off.

What Kurgen can't know is that the fugitives have stayed out of sight since the morning and that they simply have not left any trails to follow.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

And what I can't know is that the guards are already checking the sewers...

"Your first point brings up an interesting, albeit rude, point. Eadmund, if you have coin to spare, now is the time to spend them. We'll need provisions to keep moving, because our prisoner is right - this hideous IS too well prepared. We've been here a while - how much longer before we're found? The amount of work that must have gone into this... surely there's a mason out there who can't keep his lips shut."

"What I've been trained in as a Necromancer is how to manipulate the forces of darkness, and evil beyond mortal control. I am a frequent visitor to the world of the dead. What my profession entails above all is that I must work together with the darkness. Like a shadow I follow, and because evil is so easy to predict and bait, I am the ultimate hunter. Many of my skills are untrained, but this crime lord who set you up would be a great place to start. His crime ring would be no match against the possessed lions guard, but if persuaded that they could take advantage of the confusion to attempt to steal the crown jewels, their deaths could be an excellent distraction should we choose to infiltrate the palace. But that is a long term plan. For now, we must trust this man. Eadmund, I also leave the decision to release this man up to you, but I feel we must deem him a friend. What is your name? We'll need to tell Butch we have your recommendations."

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Disappointed with my failure, I will nevertheless keep vigil for some sort of sign.

If it is unusual for persons to be walking the streets at night, even in this circumstance, I will find a good nexus to keep an eye on things. A high floor of an inn or even (if I must) posing as a bum in an alley.
I would definitely prefer to keep mobile though.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:28 am

IVhorseman wrote:"Your first point brings up an interesting, albeit rude, point. Eadmund, if you have coin to spare, now is the time to spend them. We'll need provisions to keep moving, because our prisoner is right - this hideous IS too well prepared. We've been here a while - how much longer before we're found? The amount of work that must have gone into this... surely there's a mason out there who can't keep his lips shut."
The rooms and walls of the hideout look ancient. At two places the walls are cracked and an makeshift pillar supports the roof in the storeroom. The few lamps cast long shadows in the corners and the furniture is made from planks and also has a certain makeshift look to it. This is definitifly no professional work. The supplies on the other hand are simple but plentifull. You would guess that a small group would need days to smuggle all that in here.
Eadmund asks you and Quanire to follow him to the next room. "Sorry, I forgot to mention this. Since you are stuck with us, I will tell you some of the Lion's secrets. This one is no longer a secret to you, anyway. This is one of the hideouts the Lion Guard prepared as a last resort if the city should be conquered. Every Lion has his own ones spread across the city and keeps them secret even from other members of the guard, just in case they get captured and interrogated. We should be safe here for some days or even weeks. Maybe you didn't notice in the dark, but we passed not one but two hidden doors on our way here. It is very unlikely that someone finds this place by accident.
This weasel over there just gives me the creeps. I had absolutely no idea where we are until I risked a peek outside, but his guess about our location is alarmingly accurate. He must be very familiar with the sewers to accomplish this feat. And that means he is most likely a member of the Mockers. That he willingly tells us that he tried to doublecross them in favor of an unknown foreigner,... I don't like it.
And about that healer he mentiones. I don't think it is a good idea to bring him here. Quanire, can we move Sir Brandon to neutral grounds?" The elf nods hesitantly. The Squire continues: "Maybe we should try other possibilities first. There are still free and uncorrupted members of the Lion Guard in the city. Maybe we can contact one of them. And then there are the dwarves. I know my Sire is good friends with them and they have a healer named Kurgen at the embassy. They are no subjects of the king and maybe they are willing to grant us political asylum? "

Usually the city never sleeps. But as a result of the recent tragedy the king decided to declare a dusk-to-dawn curfew until the traitors are found. The citizens are not happy with that. Words on the streets has it that the city guard had some clashes with bandits in the sewers. Now the Mockers will probably take revenge.
You rent a room in a tavern near the central plaza. Many streets cross here so it is a good spot to watch the guards down there. If something happens they will be the first to be informed, you think.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Nebul is very alarmed by the information he's just recieved. "If other lions have similar hideouts, then it can't take them long to guess where yours is. We'll need to get moving sooner rather than later. You are correct that we need to weigh all of our options."

"If working with a confessed traitor scares you, you would not last a moment in contact with the necromantic energies I must deal with on a daily basis. This man is like my magic: they both appear unsavory, and to the untrained, a surefire route to destruction. Right now, he's our contact to the criminal underworld, and if we can pit evil against evil, we can prevail. While it is unlikely that members of the guard we meet might be possessed, they have already been fed lies about our intentions - coming to them would effectively be turning ourselves in. I'd trust our prisoner who already knows too much before risking that."

"Who is this Kurgen? He sounds like a promising healer. The dwarves are neutral to our plight. Though they may have already been informed of our 'treason,' they might be willing to lend an ear and at least listen to our cause. Another healer would also allow Quanire to escape - the guards still don't know your face, and the sooner you get out of this mess, the safer you'll be."

"For now, our priority should be on stripping what we can from this hideout, and getting on the move. If we can procure some cloaks and disguises, we may be able to walk right up to the dwarves and seek their protection. I think that's our safest option."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Like I said there are chests full of various clothes. Just what you need. What a coincidence. Or maybe not, when you consider the porpuse of this place. I still don't see why you want to abandon the hideout, but it is your decision. There must be thousands of cellars similar to this one. Searching for them all will take ages. Even the thieves guild claims to know every corner of this labyrinth.

So what's your plan? Looting this place for all that's worth and move the whole group to the dwarves? Sending a messenger to the dubious healer? Asking the Mockers for help?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

The dwarves have what our hideout doesn't - legitimacy. I think it's just a matter of time before we're caught down here. The prisoner identifying it super quickly makes this fear even more real.

I'll probably be going towards the mockers later, but for now we need to pack up and move to the dwarves, yeah.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Ok, how do you do it?

What is Kurgen doing?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 pm

I stay at the inn throughout the night, watching the crossroads vigilantly. Though patience is one of my stronger virtues, the utter lack of information frustrates me. I tap my thick fingers against the window sill and wait, even as the sun rises. Stymied, I gather up my belongings before the innkeep can make the morning rounds and stump my way back to the embassy. Once there, I check in with Njalla and the others, find out what they've discovered, and make my way to my chambers for a long nap. I'll have someone wake me in approximately four hours so that I may resume my search, unless something happens before then. I drift off to sleep with bloody thoughts on my mind.

Wingnut
Hero

Post by Wingnut » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

This seems to be a very interesting story, and I very much appreciate the work you have put into it. That goes not only for knolli, but also for IVhorseman and Quantumsurfer.

If you are still looking for players, I've got an idea for one, but I don't know how best to fit him to the rules...

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:46 pm

I haven't done much but thanks all the same.

I'm enjoying the RP in this one. I'd welcome more of that. What's your idea? Maybe we can help. And knolli seems pretty flexible.

Wingnut
Hero

Post by Wingnut » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 pm

The idea was an apprentice/assistant to the Royal Treasurer. I thought it would be fun because, in the words of the Treasurer himself, "To tax something reasonably, you must understand it, and everything can be taxed." So as far as history, [name not decided] was the son of a noble, but his father was hopeless when it came to keeping accounts and drove the peasantry and himself deep into debt. In order to prevent a rebellion, the king had to remove him from power and replace him, but as his father had served the king well in a past war, he was allowed a small stipend and a place at court. [name TBA] is deeply ashamed of his father, and has become both frugal and meticulous as a result. He has some combat training, as a result of his father's martial background, but has had little time to practice since he joined the exchequer. He has a theoretical understanding of almost every profession (though he sorely lacks practical experience) and encyclopedic knowledge of the law (especially tax law). He has accompanied the Royal Treasurer on several inspections of various parts of the kingdom, and as such is aware of many of the tricks used to hide wealth or smuggle goods. He looks up to his boss, but only on a professional level; he does not seem to have a father-figure of any sort in his life. He is careful, organized, and precise, but can be a little OCD at times, and very much dislikes anyone messing with his stuff (not out of possessiveness, but because they'll leave it all disorganized).

I was thinking a scout, but all of the traits that seem to describe him are intelligence based. I really don't want to make him a spellcaster (though he understands the basics, he has no aptitude).

Any pointers would be appreciated!

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

As I unshackle the prisoner (who I never got a name for BTW), I make sure everybody has enough of a disguise on to hide their faces fully. I instruct Eadmund to keep an eye on our guest. "Don't let him our of your sight. I trust him, but if you don't I need you to catch him before he causes trouble."

I have everyone dressed as poor travelers - not so poor that they stand out, but ragged enough that their bundles of clothes don't seem out of place. I make sure the squires are able to keep their weapons readied, but still well hidden. Otherwise, we will be attempting to simply walk in a group straight towards the Dwarven Embassy in broad daylight.