Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

Postby knolli » Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi guys. After five months of silence I'm finally back. I hope you missed me?

Last week inspiration struck me and now I am all eager to continue where we stopped nearly half a year ago. What do you think? Are you interested and do you want to find out what will happen to Kurgen and Nebul? What are the Necromancer's plans? What is the crippled dwarf trying to teach the young mage? Where is Master Lorenz and what is so dangerous about the catacombs below the city?

Of course I'm asking IVhorsemen and Quantumsurfer first but new players are still welcome.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Re: Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu May 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Well, sure, I'll rejoin.

Edit: Just putting this here so it's on the first page.

First part of the game
Last edited by Quantumsurfer on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Fri May 23, 2014 5:07 am

Cool. OK, here it goes.

Together with a small group of dwarves and humans Kurgen descends further into the darkness. The stone staircaseis in a far better condition than you would expect if you consider that no one lived in this halls for centuries. Then you leave the remains of the buried building and step into a tunnel that looks like it has been a street in ages past. With each step you leave the stench us the sewers further behind you.

`That doesn't seem so dangerous.' Just as you think that you stumble across the remains of a battle. Human bodies, at least a day old, broken weapons, burned out torches, spilled lamp oil. There are no survivers and nothing of use to plunder.
"Either treasure hunters or bounty hunters. Judging by the wounds and how the bodies are slammed into the walls I'd say they ran into a cave troll. Stange. They usually don't go that near to the surface." There is no trace of pity for the victims in his voice. If anything you think you saw a look of distaste for a second. Did he just mouth the words 'stupid fools'?

After another slow half hour's walk in silence through the dead ruins you reach your destination: the ruins of a sturdy stone building of dwarven origin - you can easily tell by the desingn.
From the (relative) outside it appears as deserted as any other building but once you enter the halls you notice signs of recent activity.
"Oh no!", your guide exclaims. " That door shouldn't be open."
Carefully you move on and sneak into the living quarters. The rooms are clean and obviously in use. Supplies are stored along the walls and the smell of burned food stream from the kitchen but no living soul welcomes you.
"That is not right. Absolutely not good", the seasoned warrior says more to himself then to anyone else. For a while he stands there uncertain how to proceed. Then he addresses the humans and you: "Okay, that's it. Bring the supplies over there and then I will see that you get back to the surface."
knolli
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Awesome! Am I in this scene or is Nebul still training with the other dwarf?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri May 23, 2014 3:27 pm

I'll have to do a refresher, go back and reread some. I'll come back here soon.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Nebul: Grimbold is watching your progress with the simple lesson and your growing boredom. You are still sitting in the mechanic's workshop between cases, gears skrews and bolts, tools and wires, cans and boxes full of stuff. Some half finished projects clutter the benches. One looks like three crossbows bolted together, another like a boot or the foot of a puppet with gears, wires and axles attached.
"Too easy? You surely ask yourself: 'Why is this old geezer boring me with this stuff?' Let's move on to the next lesson, shall we? Now take some of these little discs, put them on the back of your hand and make them rotate."
He hands you five tiny metal discs, none bigger than your finger nails. You do as he asks, still not sure where this will lead you.
"Yes like that. Now make them turn one at a time. Good. Now counterclockwise. Mhmm. Now two at once."
Usually it would be a difficult task to controlled two spells simultaneously, even if they are identical. But this trick is so simple you succeed at first try. Even moving all four discs at one at different speed is manageable after a while. You feel like a gleeman juggling colorfull balls in complicated patterns. Slowly it dawns on you. Whatever the purpose is, it is all about fine control on the most basic level. Neither gesture nor incantation are needed, nor a big amount of magic power. You marvel at the simple efficiency.
But you still see no useful application. You look at your teacher hoping for a hint, but all he does is smile encouragingly any then look around his workshop demonstratively.
"I see you are on the right path. Do you see it now?"
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sat May 24, 2014 12:06 am

Aren't we supposed to be hiding down here for a time? Or has much time already passed?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Sat May 24, 2014 6:14 pm

To unite your two groups and bring the squires and the rouge Mattrim to dwarven territory, they and Kurgen accompany Thorin and a small group of dwarven Defenders on a supply run to the lower levels of the catacombs below the city. The streets on the surface are too dangerous with all the city guard and bounty hunters searching for them. Even the sewers are not save, but no human should be down on the second level. Rumor has it that out of hundred treasure hunters brave or stupid enough to go there, only one survives, usually crippled, mad or both. Whatever this mysterious menace is it is the Defenders' job to contain it.
The plan was simple: go down to the Defenders' outpost, deliver the supplies and go back up the dwarven district at the surface to meet Nebul and the wounded knight who hide at Grimbold's. Then you can try to contact Nebul's mentor Master Laurence and come up with a plan to fight the Necromancer and save the kingdom.

Unfortunately things don't go as planned. The outpost is deserted. That can't be a good sign.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Sun May 25, 2014 2:09 am

The discs dance across Nebul's hands, and he begins to show off. They stand on end, and roll in circles across his wrists, between his fingers, even leaping for brief moments into the air. "Yes, I believe I am learning... Normally I would need to spend hours pouring over my tomes to reach this level of control over my own magics, yet this energy seems to flow through me with almost a will of it's own." The discs roll up into a neat stack in the palm of Nebul's hand. "What more tricks can you show me?"

Nebul glances around the room, his eyes landing on the crossbow - could it be a triple firing weapon? Creating a bolt of force to launch from a standard crossbow required concentration enough on its own, but here it would be impossible. Of course, with the proper training in technomancy, he could create a conduit for channeling more bolts, or perhaps even stronger bolts. His mind races with the implications.
IVhorseman

Postby knolli » Sun May 25, 2014 4:42 am

Nebul: Grimbolt notices your interest in the triple crossbow. He sighs.
"Do you know why I started my research? Not for the money. Definitely not for fame. Neither out to of pure curiosity."
He uses his contraptions to move over to the workbench. But instead of the crossbow he picks up the boot/foot thingy.
"I wanted to walk again."
In a display of deep anger and frustration he slams the mechanical prosthetic to the floor.
"I don't have much magic talent. But I figured I could make it, if I only found a way to make the best of what I have. I can wear the damn things, I can move the joints one at a time. After months of training I could operate three simultaneously for a few minutes. But to walk I have to operate them all at once. To you it's all so easy and all you think about is how you can turn it into a weapon. You disappoint me. The lesson is over."
knolli
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue May 27, 2014 11:24 pm

"Sir, with all respect, I am very aware that I am only finding these initial lessons easy because they are the starting point. I admit that I have no idea what further lessons I have yet to learn, but I have no expectations that these could be anywhere close to the same level. I am only moving discs, which is hardly more than a parlor trick. True magic is an art and a science, blended into willpower."

"Did my eyes wander towards the crossbow? Of course. I have friends to protect. I am still shaken from the violence I have been witness to, and I fear that the only way to save our city is through further violence. As you know, I am a white necromancer: my duty is to use evil to combat evil. To fight the enemy with itself, and protect the righteous."

"I agree that my lesson for the day should be over, you need your rest and I am but a guest in your workshop. I may only have a fleeting understanding of your powers, but perhaps my understanding of life force energy can help? You have done much to help me, and as a sign of gratitude and respect, I would love to help you in return. Even if we are not successful, I would love to at least try and help you walk again."

OOC: major feels - I know what it's like to re-learn how to walk. I figured that the boot was a prosthetic he was working on, but Nebul would have thought it rude to ask.
IVhorseman

Postby knolli » Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 am

Nebul: Your words seem to apease Grimbold some. His aggieved eyes wander to the stumps of his legs that end at the knee.
"My legs are gone for good. Noone can give them back to me. All the Healers I asked 've said so. And I will not be tainted by any dark magic. ..."
A brief smile flickers over his face.
"Maybe there is time for one more lesson: Technomancy is the art to transform magic Essence (or Mana or however you want to call it) into mechanical power in a direct and finely controlled manner. Of course there are a lot of spells that do that: levitation, telekinesis and such. But these spells are highly specific in their effect and usually require complicated gestures and incantations.
Now, instead of your coins, we use cogwheels. Put one at the tip of each finger. Make them spin! Hm hm. Now imagine them to be part of a bigger mechanism. Each wheel controls a different part of it. And by directly controling the spin of each wheel you have ansolute control of the machine. That is the whole trick. From there you can go as complicated as you like.
Now there are three factors you have to always consider: Power, Control and Complexity.
The more power you use and the more complicated the application (say: the more gears you use simultaneously) the harder it is to control.
You could tie a string to the first cogwheel and by turning the wheel you could lift a weight or pull a lever or ... bend a knee."
He picks up the prosthetic leg from the floor with some effort and pulls a wire. The foot wiggles obediently.
"This machine is quite complex: I have to keep control over all at the joints at once. It feels like trying to draw a picture with both hands at once. But you get better with practice.
The next problem is control. The first time I used too much mana and the wires snapped.
The last thing is power. I can't channel much mana - most dwarves can't - it's not even enough for the simplest of spells. So I can't use my magic directly to power the legs for any noteworthy amount of time.
And even with practice that won't change much.
I might as well give up now. "

Again Grimbold mood swings and becomes dark and depressed once more.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Wed May 28, 2014 1:45 pm

"I think I may see part of the problem... you seek control as an ultimate goal, yes? I would imagine that it far outweighs a need for power in such a contraption, yet you need greater complexity to compensate for a lower level of power."

"You say you will not be tainted by dark magic, and I understand your fears. Black magic can become quite ugly in the wrong hands, but I think I can help with your equation. I may be able to channel a small amount of lifeforce through your tendons, re-awakening the nerves and the humors within your legs. With more direct routes of power, I believe that we can reduce the complexity of this machine together. Fewer gears and fewer moving parts could be manipulated by a stronger life force, which would bring you the control you so desperately need."

"I may be a necromancer, but my gift is to bring life to where there is little or none left. I can't guarantee success, but I believe that it's worth a try. You don't have to give up quite yet if you don't want to."
IVhorseman

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed May 28, 2014 11:50 pm

On our way past the dead humans, I take my own time examining their wounds. I trust Master Thorin's judgement, of course, as I'm sure he's seen his fair share of battle wounds, received and dealt. But so have I...and what's more, I've fixed them. In short, Thorin may know what something looks like but I am more familiar with the inner workings of anatomy and thus I know what something actually is.

If my findings are similar to his own, I'll just nod and move on like Bonn-o-Tron.
If I discover a small discrepancy, I'll keep it to myself until I have more evidence.
If I discover a large discrepancy, I'll inform Thorin as soon as I can get a moment alone...presumably around the time we find the abandoned outpost and particularly if any of my findings can be linked to this mystery.

"Of course, Master Thorin." I turn and move to obey. Once the supplies are in the proper place, I'll have a look around. I have a distinct eye for detail and I hope very strongly to find anything out of the ordinary. As I'm investigating, I strike up a conversation with Thorin. "Have we been gone long enough to return, do you think?" I can see the look he's giving me out of the corner of my eye and hastily add, "Don't get me wrong...I've no great desire to face whatever beastie is down here but nay do I wish to return too early and risk capture." I shrug helplessly as I continue to peruse.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Nebul: "Well, ... I promise you I will seriously consider your offer. That are some interesting concepts you propose." Scientific ambition reawakened, he dives into theoretical discussion. "But don't you forget about Kalvin's Law of equal Energy: 'Energy can never be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form into another.' To achieve a specific mechanic affect of given Energy you need at least the same amount of magical essence. And I just don't have the essence to power my prosthetic for longer than a few minute. Even with optimal efficiency I could stretch that by only one, maybe two minutes." He looks over to a big clock on the wall. "It really is getting late. And I have much to think about." He pulls a rope that is hanging from the ceiling. His strange moving seat hops a few feet forward, then stops.
"Darvit!", he curses (an old dwarven curse that has no translation). "Why does the stupid thing do that to me now?! ... Nebul, could you do me a favor? In the next room there is a to set of counterweights. All you have to do to pull them up is to turn the crank."

IF you do as he asks: In the next room you find a chaotic construction of axles, pulleys, ropes and chains, going through holes in the walls and ceiling. A enormous block of stone hangs in the middle of the room, nearly touching the ground, a relatively small crank near it. Turning the handle should lift the block, but you soon realize that this will be an exhausting task. Not because the handle is hard to move but because you have to turn it several times to lift the weight just by the width of your small finger.

Kurgen: You don't have much time to examine the bodies, but enough to learn this: The wounds are severe, armor shredded, limbs ripped off and without doubt deadly. But a fast spell tells you that these are not the only ones. The victim suffered from a sore tooth, a long but thin scratch along the neck and two small but deep holes in the back, probably from a dagger or an arrow.
You decide to talk to Thorin privately as soon as possible. But you reach out he deserted outpost before an opportunity arises.
The rooms here are stuffed with supplies of all kinds. Mostly what you would expect: lamps and oil, food, armor and weapons of all kinds, ammunition, kegs with the markings of the mechanics' guild, ropes, tools and much more. A bunch of medallions hang from a peg at the wall.
Thorin answers your question: "Long enough? What are you talking about? I don't know what's going on at the surface. And I don't care. I have enough trouble on my own down here, now that the ... Oh ehm, never mind. Let's get ready to move!"
Just when you tell him of your disturbing findings you notice the faint smell of blood. It comes from a table near the left wall. On it: two thick purses, one spilling it's contents, a few piles of coins, pen, paper and a candle, some medallions, a small treasure chest. Next to the table a small pile of empty purses lies on the floor, some stained with blood.

I will try to make Nebul's part as interesting as possible while we wait for the events to move on on Kurgen's end.
Alternatively we could blend in a little flashback of how he first met his mentor and one of the first lessons.
knolli
Dimmy

Next

Return to Lesser Games