Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Re: Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:14 am

Guys, are you still with me? It is so boring to play this game all alone.

Nebul: You barely notice that Quanire drags you further away from the graveyard and the crypt. Your mind is still assaulted by strange visions that feel so disturbingly real. Who are you? Where are you? Have you won the Last Battle? What happened to your wedding gown? Who is that boy? It is so hard to think.
He pulls you through a dark alley before he finally stops and motions for you to sit on a wooden crate.
"Nebul? Hey, Nebul! What's the matter with you?"
Nebul? Yes, you remember. That is your name. Slowly your mind fights its way through the haze of foreign images back to what you know as your reality.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm still in. Just been pretty busy recently. Alas, the pace of a forum rpg. Still, most of the posts are ones of substance, so there's that.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Same. I keep typing up something to form a reply to Nebul's situation, but I keep dismissing it as either too convoluted or not creative enough.

Frankly, it's hard to tell where the boundaries are in this type of a cooperatively-managed RPG format. I'm used to a DM that gives me strict boundaries of what is and isn't possible, and applies situations where my character has to react accordingly. Here, I'm not sure what is and isn't "okay" for my character to do, since I can't tell where the line is between DM authority and player liberty. Obviously Nebul can't just acquire a plasma rifle out of nowhere and start obliterating his enemies, but it's hard to find the in-between.

Now that my character's fighting between figuring out what's real and what's not real, it's much harder for me to come up with a satisfactory explanation for what happens to him next - generally because when roleplaying, I'm more used to deciding what my character decides to do next instead of the results of those actions.

Usually, I end up saying "eh I should probably get back to work" when I encounter this situation, but don't take that as a sign that I'm not scratching my head over what the hell Nebul should do next.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Do you want me to give you clearer boundaries and present you with simple options in every scene like in those single player roleplaying adventures? If you choose option A reqd on at page 137, for B on 64 and for C on 42.
I never liked those because I felt so confined in my choices. I usually wanted option G or Z, which was not something the author intended.

If you are intimidated by all the freedom, don't try to guess what I will or will not allow you. Just ask me. Or go wild and see what you can get away with. Be creative! Make use if loopholes - maybe not the ones in the game rules, but in the laws concerning the empire, the world, its magic.
Basically that's exactly what I hope for. If you can persuade me, you can pin your enemy to the ground with an inverted Flight spell, make crops grow rapidly with a decelerated Whither spell, abuse a Portal spell to spy at your enemies from high above or enchant paper swords with Reinforc reinforcee until they cut through solid steel. Maybe you can even come up with a plan for a plasma rifle. ... You would need a finely tuned combination of a Forcefield, a very strong Heat or Ignite and probably something to purify the gas you want to use as ammunition. Then you would need a power source and a trigger mechanism. It would probably take an experienced artificer and some weeks in the workshops, a huge pile of gold and a lot of test dummies (or servants, slaves, prisoners, apprentices or whatever is available), but the result would definitely be a devastating tool of pain and destruction that can be operated by any fool. See, it's simple. :rtfm:
Another example: The simple parlor trick Nebul learned has so many possible applications since it basically gives you control over ANY kind of machine. Automatic lock pick, magic screw driver, drill or any other tool. You got captured and tied up? No problem. Just enchant the rope and make it unknot itself. Of course you can use the spell for the intended purpose and move robotic prosthetics, but why stop there? The next logic step? Power Armor! :mrgreen:

Sure, right now your characters are in no position to indulge in meta magical experiments. But I hope that the time will come. I have big plans for you. :twisted:

If you can't decide what action to take next, don't stress yourself. Take a step back and just tell us how Nebul feels. OK, he is confused, that is a given, but what else? Now that his mind finally clears does he panic and freak out or does he analyze the situation calmly? Is he curious what the visions mean or does he maybe imagine himself to be chosen by destiny or something?
As soon as you know the answer to that question, his next actions will be clear.

Soon it will be time to jump back to Nebul's present and for him to get involved in the action. We can continue the flashback another time. Or have both story lines run parallel.

This game is not about being perfect and always making the right choice. It is about character play and every character has flaws. Good role play to me means staying true to the character and all his flaws even if it causes him trouble. Maybe I should reward this somehow? Offer you tokens every time you do so which you can then exchange for a bonus?

Again: don't stress yourself. This game is supposed to be fun.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:59 pm

A nearly perfect victory, I think to myself as I round up and patch up the wounded. So why do I feel so crummy about it? Everytime I feel like I have a handle on this situation, there develop deeper and darker layers. I take Eadmund aside and explain my feelings. "I sense that we've only scratched the surface here."

"I sense it, too," he says quietly.

"Then, we must continue to be cautious. Keep our eyes open and our mouths shut as much as possible. If this is the work of the Necromancer or his allies, his reach is even further than we previously assumed. Let's trust to ourselves for now, until we can reconnect with our friends topside."

He nods in agreement and we rejoin the others. "Thorin," I address him as he moves away from the other Dwarf to evaluate the situation, "What next?"
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Does Kurgen only tend to the wounded on your side, or also to the guys you have been fighting? Some of them are still alive, but won't stay that way for much longer without medical attention.

Kurgen: Thorin turns to face you. His face is even more grim than before. "Good question. This is not just one group of curious idiots. This is a bloody invasion. The sergeant here tells me they are only part of an even bigger army and were send to intercept my brothers here. He has a message for the surface. These bloody intruders know their way around here far too well. They know our tactics. They even bypassed most of the traps. That smells of treason. My boys will go to reinforce our troops down below. I will accompany the sergeant and his men back to the surface and see to it that the Stonebrow will send more axes. You are a skilled healer. Your talents will be needed with the main force."
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 pm

I'll be tending to them as well, yes.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:48 am

Kurgen: After you have made sure that none of your allies is seriously wounded, you focus your attention on the poor humans you have so brutally battled just moments ago. Now that you take a closer look in better light you see that they all are quite young, not older than the boys under your protection. Many of them still alive are hurt beyond your abilities and all you can do for them is to grand them the last mercy. There are two, maybe three whose life you can probably save, if you hurry. But you still see the traces of magic on them. Whatever it was that controlled the boys may still have an effect on them. What exactly you cannot tell: They could go berserk again or their mind could be gone leaving only an empty husk behind.
The casters are a completely different matter. They are older and three seem to be female. Of the five hooded invaders three are most definitely dead and the fourth one will die, too. But the fifth one is only playing dead. You pull back the hood to look into an elegant but very pail face with a straight nose. You wouldn't be surprised to find pointy ears hidden under the long white hair. The broken leg won't kill her (at least not now), but it's impossible to run from you.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby knolli » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:07 am

Nebul: A very worried Quanire is talking to you. His voice slowly goes from concerned to frantic. You take some deep breaths to clear your head. The cold air is clean and smells of salt. The sea is not far away.

"I'm… I'm fine," you manage to say. You try to make sense of your surroundings. A dark alley, some wooden boxes and barrels. Dense, white fog. A man in a black hood. More crates.
Wait, what?
"Took you long enough to notice me, Nebul, apprentice magician and white necromancer."
Once you hear the words you… wake up. You remember. Or rather you realize that you are dreaming. This is a memory from your past. That fateful day should change your life. The scene, the fog and even the memory of Quanire are frozen. But the hooded man in the black robes is not. He is not part of your dream.

"Surprised to see me? We had an appointment, remember? When you didn't show up, I started searching for you. How you ask? Priest of Boron, the god of sleep and death?! People tend to forget the first." In a quite amused voice he continues: "What an interesting memory you have here. We will have a talk about robbing graves, young man! " Then in a harsher tone: "but not now. We have more urgent business to attend to. Thanks to your information I could do some inquiries. The situation is far more dangerous than we anticipated. So listen!

First: That necromancer, Morten or whatever his real name is, is not only very powerful, but he has prepared for this day for years, spun his web and made preparations. And we can't even be sure that he is the mastermind behind all this. He has created at least one, maybe more unholy entities called Reincarnates. Evil ghostlike demons that take possession of their victim's body and eat his soul. Thus they learn everything their victim knew and can copy them, their mannerisms, everything perfectly. They are extremely dangerous. Beware: when the host is killed the Reincarnate is set free and will try to possess the next victim.
I fear that means that there is nothing we can do for poor King Leopold. In the contrary: the King must be killed as soon as possible. … I can't believe I said that.
But that is not the end of the bad news. It is not even the worst.
Second: My brothers and I fear that control of the palace is not the final goal of our mysterious enemy. More like the means to meet the end. Just one element in a far bigger plan.
For two months now we have observed slight disturbances in realm of the dead. That is the same time when the new thieves guild showed up and a series of unexplained murders began in Krandor. That is also when a new guild, the Treasure Hunters opened their gates. Coincidence? I don't believe so.
If what we fear us true, we all - the whole world - is in great danger. Unfortunately I can't tell you much more.

Go to the dwarves! Warn their leaders of the conspiracy. Tell them that we fear that the enemy is after 'the Great Price'! They will understand. Go now! You are the only messenger who can reach them in time. And let us pray that it is not too late! Wake up NOW!"

And you do. You are back in the untidy workshop of the crippled dwarf. It is still dark outside. You still feel exhausted from last night's exercise and your muscles ache. On the other hand you are bright awake and remember the dream and the message perfectly.
knolli
Dimmy

Previous

Return to Lesser Games