BrikSpace

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Good points. I'll get on those when I have my brain back (A.K.A lemme go steal a Red Bull from my parents fridge in the dead of night and I'll be good to go).
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Korwinblue
Champion
Champion

Post by Korwinblue » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Nice, can't wait 'till the rules are worked out.
Finally could put this site's,
http://www.ozbricks.com/battlespace/ , ship designs into use.
I like Vangaurd(and Battlespace), but the horror of teaching my brother, and the next door 5th grader the rules, plus it'll take over 30 mins to design the specs, is... too much.(Plus I could never figure out a good scale to play on!)

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 am

Olothontor wrote:That it is. Oh, and as for IV Horseman's mention of Damage Rating, no, it's not a set number of damage, it's a set number of DICE. D6's, to be exact.
woahwoahwoahwoahwoah. WOAH. WOAH. slow down buddy. are you telling me that the lowest amount of damage that anything can do is 4d6 damage? that is TOO MUCH, MAN. i'm really sorry, but to make this viable and easy, you need to downsize this a LOT. most of us don't even HAVE 45 d6s that your ion cannons require (another misnomer made famous by command and conquer. ion cannon literally means that charged particles are fired at an object. you'll short out electronic components much like a concentrated EMP wave, but no real... damage will be done).

know why brikwars is fun? you're generally rolling 1 to 3 dice at a time. you'll go up to ten in only the rarest situations. now you're saying that you've got all these weapon classes with damage ratings (and i'm assuming firing ranges) that need to be memorized in such a grand scale? not to even mention the lack of a difference between lasers and phase weapons.

Flashhawk
Champion
Champion

Post by Flashhawk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 am

Just to get you in the mood for the scale:
http://www.io.com/~skw/epic40k.htm
Fh
First things that die in a Battle?
* Innocence
* Truth
* Honor
* Loyalty

kidko
Officer

Post by kidko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 pm

What hath Oloth wrought?

Seriously. I'm toning (toneing? tone-ing? something like that) it down a ladder's worth of notches. I only own 9d6... no way I could handle this game!

I'm going to go ahead and say 10d6 is the most you'll need to roll. Average should be 1 to 3 d6.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Okay, yea. Down-sizing the amounts there was a good idea. Okay. That's what beta testers are for, right?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Korwinblue
Champion
Champion

Post by Korwinblue » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I'll try to play this tommorrow, or later tonight. What are the range for the weapons? I'll probably make up my own for now.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:28 am

Let us know ho it works out so far. If it's total crap, I'd like to know, as well as how you counter-acted the fact that it was crap during gameplay.

The damage values on the weapons were fixed.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:24 pm

The great thing about the pure V-Space rules was that you only need 2d6 for most rolls, and percentage for hit locations.

Simple formulas, simple table, manages to represent everything beautifully.

My Muffin and kidko's Hellglass should be going up against each other soon.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Flashhawk wrote:Just to get you in the mood for the scale:
http://www.io.com/~skw/epic40k.htm
Fh
that is NOTHING!
see this ? http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=93472
(plz do it took 5 mins to find the link)

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:45 am

Those look good!

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 am

It was only two weeks ago, people were grumbling and groaning over how complex the vanguard rules were. Oh noes, the Newtonian physics. Oh noes, the whatever other specific thing. I told them all at the time that once people got into it they would in fact complain it was not complex enough and we would see countless rule variations and additions.

Now look, look how soon I am right! Deliberations galore, an entire board and google site dedicated to Brikspace, a mishmash of brikwars and vanguard rules.

I love being right... and this developement is beautiful...

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 am

Have we learned our lesson? This is why we introduce new games to Brikwars; so that we can make it that much more glorious! Now all we need to do is work on it a bit more...
-=[ Visage ]=-

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:28 pm

I believe the easiest way to do this would be to convert the tons into pieces. Keep all the rules same as vanguard since they are in fact very simple. Very different from Brikwars, but very simple.

Interactions between a Vanguard ship and any character level rule-set are very unbalanced. The damage a 100 ton fusion powered ultraviolet laser can do is immense. Lobbing ICBM nukes at each other across the stars as a standard attack is incredible. Filling the space in between your ship and your enemies with a cloud of hypersonic metal is devastating.

Now imagine a minifig standing in front of the aperture of one of those 100ton lasers... him and the entire field behind him shall be toast.

This would definitely have to be on a scale that minifigs do not share. You used a good example describing the difference between Warhammer 40000 and Battlefleet Gothic. Brikspace, if it is to use a brik variation of vanguard rules, would end up the same way.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I would agree with most of that, except for the fact that Vanguard IS simple, it's not the same as Brikwars, and we (I) wanted to give it a very Brikwars feel. Thus, we're trying to use some of the same rulesets, and to use the same rulesets, you kind of need that feel to it, the feel that allows you to build, measure, and deploy your ships against someone else who has done the same. So, tons have basically become obsolete, instad being replaced by inches. The weight of the weapons doesn't matter so much, just how big it is. Same is true for engines and armor. Weight is not a factor in the equation. We only use inches. Now, unlike Brikwars, there is no weapon equation to figure out what it does based on how many inches it is; you simply give the weapon(s) one of the templates we offer. Because of the Brikwars style, however, we would make it okay for you to make your own weapon templates, giving you the equation we used to calculate those and everything.

I think I'm done rambling now.
-=[ Visage ]=-