Local Gaming store WIN

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby Rody » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am

muffinman42 wrote:And anything devided by infinity is always 0.

you....*twitch* have... no... idea...
∀ x ∈ ℝ: x/∞ = 0 ⇔ x ≠ ∞
(might have made a small mistake in that)
∞/∞ is undefined, as it can take the value of any positive real number.
Last edited by Rody on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby muffinman42 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:30 am

if you have an infinate number of pebbles, and an infinate number of people, and each person keeps takeing pebbles.
How many pebbles could each person have?
But if each person takes infinate pebbles then surely the pile should run out
In logic it makes sence, but using maths it just creates a head ache.
So infinity devided by infinity isn't 0.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Rody » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:48 am

ah, I see, so you view infinity simply as a ridiculously large number.
it's not quite as simple as that.
and in your example, it would depend on the relative sizes of the infinities whether the pile runs out
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Warhead » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:29 am

Hmm, I always though Infinity was an ever growing never stopping number that just keeps adding to itself like a counter without limit. I think existence is infinite, as we understand it in linear terms. If not then the number could be going backwards in ever decreasing increments. I wonder what happens when it gets to zero? Better not be like Independence Day, stupid bloody American movie... :? Although, I've always wanted to meet Jeff Goldbloom... uh, what were we talking about again?
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:34 am

*throws hands up* I have no idea! I swear, this went from DnD to cost of games to infinity to movies. Derails of this forum has taken the form of a compulsion, I think.

And look! Now it's moved to why threads get derailed! AAGH!
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Warhead » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tuefish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Infinity itself is pure hypothesis, a representation of humanities shortcomings in the area of absolute and specific knowledge. :godwin:
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds
TROLOLO
Tuefish
Dimmy

Postby kiemaster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 pm

my head doesn't feel to....
kiemaster
Dimmy

Postby muffinman42 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Rody wrote:ah, I see, so you view infinity simply as a ridiculously large

Nope.
The pile couldent excise i know but its a meterphor and i don't have to make it to use it in writeing! It's more of a diffrent way of showing the grand hotel idea, instead of rooms its rocks. Lets just leave it to the mathamaticans, because even they are still trying to get it too work.

So should we return to the original topic or...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eNoSV8EZ2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKVtHK3 ... re=related
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby stubby » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Tuefish wrote:Infinity itself is pure hypothesis, a representation of humanities shortcomings in the area of absolute and specific knowledge. :godwin:

No more or less than any abstract concept; the number three is just as much a pure hypothesis as e or i or negative seven or the letter F or the word "and." Doesn't make any of them less specific or less useful.

muffinman42 wrote:
Rody wrote:ah, I see, so you view infinity simply as a ridiculously large

Nope.
The pile couldent excise I know but its a meterphor and I don't have to make it to use it in writeing! It's more of a diffrent way of showing the grand hotel idea, instead of rooms its rocks. Lets just leave it to the mathamaticans, because even they are still trying to get it too work.

The grand hotel problem depends on the number of people and the number of hotel rooms matching up to the series of natural numbers, which is a very specific type of infinity. If the people matched up to natural numbers and the hotel rooms were the irrational numbers, then each of the infinity people could have infinity hotel rooms without any trouble at all.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby muffinman42 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm

"Hilbert's Hotel: A puzzle developed by the mathematician David Hilbert to illustrate infinity.

Imagine you arrive at a hotel late at night that prides itself on its infinitely many rooms. To your disappointment, however, you are told that there are no vacancies.

Astonished, you ask the receptionist: "But don't you have infinitely many rooms?"

"That's right," he replies, "and we would love to offer you one. Unfortunately, we also have infinitely many guests at the moment. Thus, every available room is currently occupied; even the broom closet is taken. There are absolutely no rooms available at this hotel."

You consider his reply thoroughly. How in the world could you still manage to get a room at Hilbert's hotel without having to share it with some other guest?*

And if you are a travel guide for an infinitely large group of tourists (having arrived in an infinitely long tourist bus), how could you possibly accommodate all members of your group in this fully booked-up hotel?**

* Here is the solution: You talk (or bribe) the receptionist into moving the guest from room # 1 to room # 2, the one from room # 2 to room # 3, and so on like Bonn-o-Tron. Since there are infinitely many rooms, all guests can be moved and room # 1 will be available for you.

** Here is the solution: You propose to the receptionist that he assign all guests currently at the hotel to rooms with even room numbers, thus freeing up the infinitely many odd-numbered rooms for your group. ."
taken from: http://unendliches.net/english/

SO, how many of use now have headaches from thinking about this?
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Tzan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Number of the beast ^
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 pm

No, that was in Blocktales signups.

I've encountered that puzzle before and clawed my way through it. I can kinda wrap my mind around infinity, but not quite.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 pm

I like how all this came from a DnD book.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby Ross_Varn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 am

Cpt. Zipps wrote:I like how all this came from a DnD book.

I already said that...

DERAIL
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games