Brick wargame in production

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Egor_Redcloak
Battlefield General

Brick wargame in production

Post by Egor_Redcloak » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am

I've been working for a while (on and off) on a brick wargame its fairly long but in a similar vain to brikwars it discourages following the rules to the letter at the expense of fun.

The main point of the game is to encourage creativity and for players to build interesting armies where every army not only looks different but fights different.

I also aim to fix my pet peeve that is the awful ranged weaponry rules in 2005ed which virtually make ranged weapons just a crappy gimmick.

Its almost exclusively sci-fi too, though I do intend to make fantasy rules.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Need a new army, can't find any more insectoids

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: Brick wargame in production

Post by Tzan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 am

Egor_Redcloak wrote: Thoughts? Suggestions?
Hard to have any without more information.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Egor_Redcloak wrote:I also aim to fix my pet peeve that is the awful ranged weaponry rules in 2005ed which virtually make ranged weapons just a crappy gimmick.
How so?
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Egor_Redcloak
Battlefield General

Post by Egor_Redcloak » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Blitzen wrote:
Egor_Redcloak wrote:I also aim to fix my pet peeve that is the awful ranged weaponry rules in 2005ed which virtually make ranged weapons just a crappy gimmick.
How so?
Long range weapons shoot only 12 inches and they all fire the same, short range are similar but fir 6 inches, makes melee weapons far more viable than they should be. At the scale most minifigs are the effective range of a rifle should be around four foot at least.
The reason I am making my own rule set it to simulate warfare more realistically (i.e far more destruction and long range firefights)

To describe the game, its a lot lie any other in the basic way it works although players take to turn to move, then shoot, then fight. Shooting is more accurate than in brikwars albeit the accuracy is dependent on distance ( a flaw in most wargames is how it is just as easy to hit at twenty four inches away as it is at four inches.

My asking for suggestions was if you think my approach is a viable and worthwhile one, is their an audience for it?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:25 pm

ah! you're in the same boat as i was for a long time. but i finally figured out why most weapons have such "short" ranges: incredibly long ranges are no fun. i also fight with an exclusively sci-fi style, and used to use weapons that shot 28" average. eventually, i switched over to the 12 and 6 versions, and noticed how much more fun the games got.

biggest flaw with massive range? unless you're converting your living room into a sprawling city that you plan on having a firefight in, any one minifig with a rifle can shoot from just about any point on the map to any other point (unless of course, there's something in the way). at this smaller scale, you have to actually move your troops around the map to get within range of firing at a guy, and they're scurrying left and right trying to get in just the right range and level of cover, which is a tactical thrill.

as for viability of melee weapons, there's still not too effective in a battle where everyone's got guns. long range weapons do less damage (you slash a guy with a sword and compare that to a pistol shot and tell me which one's more likely to kill him), but you still have to actually get within range to attack. at 5" of movement, your minifig can be fired at twice by the same guy before he gets a chance to attack (at a 1/3 chance of missing with UR of 3, that brings you to 1/9 odds of not being shot before you get a chance to attack), and THREE times with a long-range weapon (that's 1/27, homes).

and then for distance shooting, keep in mind that the range given is the VIABLE shooting distance of a gun. 2001 rules had a way to get at what you're talking about, but i'm not sure what 05 says about this. regardless, 01 rules say that minifigs can fire outside their range at -1 damage per every inch past their firing range. yes, i know it's "just as easy to hit, lol", but -1 is to account for the fact that regardless whether you hit a guy, at farther distance, the likelihood of a shot being accurate enough to KILL diminishes. also, taking -1 to skill for each inch actually decreases how far you'll be able to hit (on average)(EDIT: i would explain why this is true with math and whatnot, but it's 96 degrees outside).

Tarren
Dimmy

Post by Tarren » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Remember, brikwars is with BRICKS, not BULLETS. sure, in real life a bullet fired out of a gun would go several hundred feet. But a toy Brick?
I.
Think.
NOT!
Silverdream wrote:As you can see the majority of sex workers in BC are not only children, but aboriginal children. It's mostly because we treat them like shit.

CreatioNZ
Hero

Post by CreatioNZ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 am

I know where you are coming from, but what makes brikwars great (comparing to others such as warhammer) is that it is reasonably simple and it is totally unrealistic and crazy (No intended offence Mr rayhawk). Close quarter fighting is <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> more fun as anything can happen, you could end up in close combat or get you head blown off. Being forced to move because enemy are too close, adds suspense and you actually have to think carefully as to where you have to move to get an advantage and overcome your enemy (assuming thats your mission). And I agree with IV horseman in that you can move and shoot so as they move closer, you mave away and still shoot. :D

Egor_Redcloak
Battlefield General

Post by Egor_Redcloak » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 am

A lot of good points, maybe its not so bad afterall. Given me a few good ideas.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:13 am

Well, one thing you could do is hawk some DnD rule-type things. Say, each weapons range is an increment, and it can shoot 5-10 times it's range. Each incomplete increment adds a further +1 to the Use of your wepaon.

Were you so inclined, of course. :P
It's a secret to everybody.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 am

I seem to remember that the 2001 rules seemed to have a system in it where you're UR depended somewhat on range, or cover speed, etc..
but I'm not sure.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Rody wrote:I seem to remember that the 2001 rules seemed to have a system in it where you're UR depended somewhat on range, or cover speed, etc..
but I'm not sure.
nope. in all honesty, the 2001 rules are basically the same as 2005, but with extra modifiers and crap.

also, i totally hadn't thought of the DnD version of ranges! not something i'd be using, but it's still an interesting thing to play around with. regardless, i really like my comparatively short ranges.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Rody wrote:I seem to remember that the 2001 rules seemed to have a system in it where you're UR depended somewhat on range, or cover speed, etc..
but I'm not sure.
It was +1 UR per +1" range. Handy when an opponent was just barely out of range, but the UR penalty piled up pretty quickly.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu May 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Egor_Redcloak wrote:I've been working for a while (on and off) on a brick wargame its fairly long but in a similar vain to brikwars it discourages following the rules to the letter at the expense of fun.

The main point of the game is to encourage creativity and for players to build interesting armies where every army not only looks different but fights different.

I also aim to fix my pet peeve that is the awful ranged weaponry rules in 2005ed which virtually make ranged weapons just a crappy gimmick.

Its almost exclusively sci-fi too, though I do intend to make fantasy rules.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

you should definetly fix brikwars main problem with ranged weapons
....all shooting should be done at the begining then movement then close combat

dosen't make any sense from a real world perspective but in a game it comes along mutch smother (depending on how in-depth you are playing)

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 pm

Or you could just hack something together and worry about fun instead of realism. You know. Just to make it fun.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 pm

uh... piltogg, it says right in the rules that you can do any of those things in any order you want. you're not forced to do any turn things in any order, so long as the same guy only moves once and preforms one action.