Pocket Dungeon

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Walk-in Closet
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4980
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 am

"Pocket Dungeon"

"Concealed Carry"

Hmm....

This looks awesome Oloth. I'm going to have to try it.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby Arkbrik » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 am

Tzan wrote:Walk-in Closet

Oh that reminds me, I was celebrating New Year at some friends' place and they had a walk-in pantry. It was awesome.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
User avatar
Arkbrik
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2536
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Sweden

Postby ForlornCreature » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 am

The guy developing this game doesn't seem to have posted in his forum about the game or done anything at all since July.
Image
User avatar
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am
Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

Postby BFenix » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 am

stubby wrote:Listen guys, this has been bugging me the whole time. I don't know what pocket dungeon is, but it sounds like a euphemism.


It is named like that due its extremely simple game system. It is supposed to be a "stealth" or "ninja" game, where you can play anywhere without people noticing it is a game, mainly in your working place where you do stuff you don't want and are bored to death most of the time.

The game itself is like a super easy D&D, way simpler. You simply start making dungeon rooms and crawl them until you reach the Boss who has the key to the exit of the dungeon. And thats it...

@Oloth: Thats great dude, keep us updated on that matter then plz. Also, I've read through the rules, and Im enjoying this immensely. Its so easy to make new stuff, Im probably also going to mod a few professions, overall gear and monsters up, perhaps also some quests. Thx for sharing this :)
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4736
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby ForlornCreature » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 am

Olonth, what are all those Sk and Ch or whatever marks on your game, and do you have any tricks that you use for gameplay? Like how you keep track of damage and AP and stuff? I played the pocketmod version for a couple hours, and got a bit bored because my guy was still stuck with MM as his best move, although I had a decent sword (although I had low strength because I was lazy and just used the example one in the manual) and Mithril armor (I later realized I wasn't supposed to be able to use it) so I was stuck in a stalemate with the boss because I couldn't land a blow and neither could he. Anyway, I was playing with my own quickly made up minecraft set, so maybe the fact that it was Herobrine was what was making it unbeatable. I also kept losing track of my AP. [/ramble]
Image
User avatar
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am
Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 am

To be completely honest I have never played the PocketMod version, but I know the Deluxe version has places to keep track of AP and the number of Monsters you've killed. As for Monster HP, I usually have a separate index card where I jot down the health of each critter in any given room and go from there. There's never any more than 6 of them in a room, so normally it's pretty easy to tell (this is #1 Critter, this is #2 Critter, etc).

The Sk and Gh were Skeletons and Ghouls respectively (I used the Undead set for my first runthrough). That's just how everything moves around, but I didn't have a terribly good eraser, so it came out looking kinda messy.

Also, check out my second post (the big green block of text) for some more tips, I guess. There are a few in there that aren't in the rules.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:23 am

Oh my God! You know what just occurred to me?

I use Macromedia Fireworks, and each image I use can be a separate movable bitmap (which is how I do all my spriting, since it's convenient). You know what this means, of course.

I could test my multiplayer rules ONLINE!

There would need to be rules, obviously, about what role the Dungeon Master plays, but I think it could work! The DM would generate the rooms and manage the monsters in any given room, as well as generate the treasure. A skilled DM could even make it seem coherent and not just linear dungeon crawling through the careful use of Fudging.

The player role would be the same as it always has; make a character, bust heads, steal shit, and kick open doors (and engage in plot aspects if they exist).
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:27 am

That would be awesome Oloth! :D

One question though, you can rool for the # of monsters and their type but you can't have various monsters of different types in the same room, that kinda sucks, Ill make a list for that. Because otherwise, you would only have a room of goblins or a room of trolls only...
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4736
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:28 am

Well, right, BF. That's how it works. Because all the rooms from #-# are just for whatever first-tier monster, followed by the next series of rooms being second-tier, and so forth until you reach the Boss room.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 am

Olothontor wrote:Well, right, BF. That's how it works. Because all the rooms from #-# are just for whatever first-tier monster, followed by the next series of rooms being second-tier, and so forth until you reach the Boss room.

Ah right, I got it now
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4736
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

Your point remains valid, however; there's not a ton of variety, but adding more variety would mean another roll (or *flip*) while generating a room's monsters. So I guess if you don't mind more flips to room generation, you've got no problems.

Anywho, y'know how I mentioned an online version of PD? Here comes some ART!

Image

I'm getting a little carried away with this forum battle-style PD run idea. Oh well.

Top thread coming soon to the Lesser Games forum! Stay tuned!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby ikensall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:38 am

http://www.kongregate.com/games/LordTim/great-dungeon-in-the-sky
One of the best pixelated games ever, I even tried drawing some of my own characters for it.
User avatar
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am
Location: England

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 pm

ikensall wrote:http://www.kongregate.com/games/LordTim/great-dungeon-in-the-sky
One of the best pixelated games ever, I even tried drawing some of my own characters for it.



Fun
Necromancer is overpowered
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4980
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby ikensall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Tzan wrote:
ikensall wrote:http://www.kongregate.com/games/LordTim/great-dungeon-in-the-sky
One of the best pixelated games ever, I even tried drawing some of my own characters for it.



Fun
Necromancer is overpowered

Hence being my favorite, but eventually it gets tiresome with so many levels.
User avatar
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am
Location: England

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests