Pocket Dungeon

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby ForlornCreature » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 am

If you knew what you were doing i think everything except room generation would be pretty straight-forward. I bet Notch could do this!
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

Contact/hire the Newgrounds community!

I've got a bit of pull there as a member since like '06
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 am

Well, interestingly enough my friend Hlbeta and I have been tossing around the concept of a Java-based computer version of PD (although honestly it would be simplified Nethack, but who gives a shit, it's good practice).

Also, that means the forum-battle PD has one spot left. Call it while you can, guys.

(P.S. Different tilesets would be pretty interesting. Loads more work, but potentially worth it. If I find myself with some excess time on my hands, I'll see what I can do for you.)
Last edited by Olothontor on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 am

Oloth, after a night of playing Pocket Dungeon-

-I love this game.

Please run a forum style version of PD.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:39 am

CALL SPOT!

I've been playing PD in class today, it's good.
my grand Hero steve got all the way up to room 16!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 am

Alright, all four spots are called. kidko called the first privately, since I went to him first, and that's followed by me (since we decided the DM would actually be more like the "manager" and not the "master"), then Ross and Keldo.

Looks like we're all set! I'll get the top thread up late tomorrow or early Sunday, and we'll get this show on the road.

P.S. I realize everyone probably plays this game a little bit differently, forgive me if I do it my way and it is- in fact- not the same. I apologize in advance for any confusion this causes.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 am

Excellent. 8)
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby ForlornCreature » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:34 am

Whatabout a circuit board tileset? That would be cool. Will the players start in different places or together?

I started my second game today as a warrior, I got lucky and found some Mithril armor about 6 rooms in.
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 am

Ah, interesting idea, ForlornCreature. I honestly don't know.

What do my players think? I'm leaning towards the same starting point for all players, but I could definitely coordinate different starting chambers.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby ikensall » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 am

Perhaps they could start in adjacent rooms or atleast quite close to each other.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby ForlornCreature » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 am

Why not have several entrances, one each side (or in just random places, like a hole they dropped through into a random spot on the map, much cooler), and roll a die to determine each one's entry point (or just have them all start in seperate places) on the overall map, but not show where exactly the players are adjacent to each other by only showing the a 6x6 square around each player on their turn. This means that each player should be motivated to regroup by whatever means (finding the edge then all going to the center or something).

Also, with dungeon generating, scale up rooms and number of foes by adding each player who is entering to the rolls, either that or make room sizes bigger by default and only do extra rolls for monsters for consistency in room size.

I think I will have a go at a circuit board tile pack tommorrow, the idea is that you are a computer program fighting through a circuit grid to defeat the master control (boss). *cough*tron*cough*

Do you have a blank tile pack? I guess it probably easier for me to make my own blank over the top of the set you posted though.
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:59 am

Yeah, not blank, but feel free to save what I have and sprite over it. You'll find there are some "wall portions" missing, but those shouldn't be too hard to hack together from what's already there, so no worries.

If you need any spriting help, please ask me, I'm happy to help out.

In terms of your ideas, I like them, I'll mix-and-match some of those concepts until I'm happy with it. Anyone object?

(P.S. Currently working on a HUD for the game window that will show player stats and room stats for the current room.)
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby BFenix » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:30 am

Olothontor wrote:Alright, all four spots are called. kidko called the first privately, since I went to him first, and that's followed by me (since we decided the DM would actually be more like the "manager" and not the "master"), then Ross and Keldo.

Looks like we're all set! I'll get the top thread up late tomorrow or early Sunday, and we'll get this show on the road.

P.S. I realize everyone probably plays this game a little bit differently, forgive me if I do it my way and it is- in fact- not the same. I apologize in advance for any confusion this causes.

w8, so you are the "manager" ross, keldo and kidko are the players? or do you also play? And besides myself, robot and forlorn asked for a spot early...

@Keldoclock: To ask a Flash Programmer in NG to make us PD in flash support it would cost us money. Unless he is also a major fan and would do it for us for free. I would say we could make it ourselves in Flash but making animations is nothing compared to game programming, it is far more complicated...

About the party issue, I think one way to do it would be placing all players in different parts of the dungeon, keeping in mind were the Boss room is supposed to be in order for everyone to stay away from it. For that we could roll (flip) for directions like when placing doors or chests. Since it will be a party playing and not a single player, I say the monsters should maintain their standard level of difficulty until all the players regroup, once they do that, we buff the critters up.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby ForlornCreature » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 am

Why not just put up a thread asking if anyone (with decent skills) would like to program it, and we can provide textures and the rules so all they have to do is translate and compile it in flash.
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Postby thade » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am

It's not flash, but I've been meaning to try something like this, so I've begun messing with dungeon generators in GML. Still a couple glitches, but it's going well.

It asks for a number of rooms, then picks a number of tiles based off the table in the manual, and draws them randomly. It should repeat this until it uses all the rooms. The doors may be tricky, and the boss room might as well.
thade
Cannon Fodder

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games