Civ World

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Civ World

Postby stubby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Sid Meier put out a call for alpha players for the new Facebook version of Civ. I don't know if anyone's interested after the debacle of Civ V, but I thought I'd put it up here for you all to consider:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/civilizat ... 1587224561

Sid wrote:We’re also happy to announce that we intend to launch the Closed Alpha test version of the game on January 12th, and you can sign up to become part of our development testing team starting today! Would you like a chance to join the test? Then we’ll need you to form a team with your friends, and sign up for the alpha test as a team. Why a team? Because to win in Civ World, you’ll need to collaborate with your friends in order to do well in the game and become ruler of the world, so in our early Alpha testing, we’re grouping people together to simulate how the game will work when it’s available to the world at large. In the final game, you’ll be able to sign up individually (although we’ll love it if you invite your friends), but to participate in Closed Alpha, you’ll have to enter as a team. It’s up to you how you organize your testing team. Your team can be anywhere from 5-50 people.

What we’ll need from each team will be a team name and a team captain. Each team member will need to register on our sign-up page www.2kgames.com/civworld/alpha and enter their team name and captain’s name, along with some other information. Teams will receive their acceptance confirmations beginning January 10th.

In any case, it's got to be better than that game pesgores was pimping. What's a good team name? The Deadly Spacemen?

EDIT: I'll probably be barred from playing this myself, judging by the "Please list any and all Game Industry/Company Affiliations (of any type, including but not limited to PC, console, casual/web, social network, or mobile games) and related positions" question in the signup. But we'll see.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm

I don't see your current job as competition so maybe it wont matter.
I see questions like that in some applications. If anything it means you will give better feedback than random noobs.

Count me in.

"The Deadly Spacemen" sounds fine.
We need the captain name still.

Krap, I need to make a Facebook account.
I just made a Twitter account to get in on a chance to win a free pro version of Unity. I feel dirty.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm

You should. Tweet.

I'd follow but my PC won't have it. Maybe soon though. A PC is being constructed to spec as we speak. (Do not ask me what type or any of that shite, I don't really know or care i just want one that works, ok).
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 pm

*tweet*

My Twit name

@Tzan_DAB
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:31 pm

If we do want to give this a shot, we need a team leader and at least five people.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Ham701 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Personally, I enjoy playing Civ V. The graphics are wonderful and getting rid of the stacks of doom+the hexes have made gameplay a helluva lot better. The only downside is getting rid of some of the units, but that's modable.

I'd love to be part of the team. Sounds interesting.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Thats 3.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:11 pm

I feel like Civ V is more like Civ Wii. The choices seem meaningless, I don't feel like a world leader, every building or social ethic gives me the same 1% bonus to a random stat as every other building or social ethic. Now Civ IV on the other hand, every choice changed the game completely.

I like the hexes and tactical gameplay, but they're elements that should have gone into an actual game rather than into a rendering tech demo. If they could just turn it back into Civ IV With Hexes then I'd be all over it.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm

The last Civ I played was the first one.
Just busy with other games I guess.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

If we can't get 5 by tomorrow morning we should ask "others".
I know 2 guys that I have played MMOs with since '99. They both do RPGs and strategy games.

There is a deadline.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Uhm seriously? nobody else has ever played a civ game?
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Apollyon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

I played the first to death. Never tried the new ones. And i do not want to sign up to Facebook.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Well neither do I, but this is a persistant Civ world, sacrifices must be made.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Elmagnifico » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

I'd be interested in this.

Last Civ I liked... Well, I hated IV, and V was awful, so it must have been III. II is still my game though.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Well thats four. 1 more at least.

I hope you people realize that my "other" friends email address is on my backup computer. So I have to

6. shut this one down
7. unhook 1 monitor,
8. move it over to the old machine
9. hook up the monitor,
10. get the address
11. put the monitor back

Seriously... you guys are going to make me do that?
Tzan
Pooplord

Next

Return to Lesser Games