DM'ing

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby Olothontor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Talking as in discussing what to do next, or talking as in "What's going on next Friday night" or "Did you see that one movie with the cool guy in sunglasses?"
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby thade » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:36 pm

definantly the second one
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.
User avatar
thade
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: permanantly trapped in my own twisted imagination

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Raise the stakes somehow.

Often times my games involve small XP awards in the form of Snickers Minis (each Snickers wrapper can be cashed in for about 100xp at the end of each session). That encourages relevant roleplaying, and not just random blathering.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby stubby » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Olothontor wrote:Often times my games involve small XP awards in the form of Snickers Minis (each Snickers wrapper can be cashed in for about 100xp at the end of each session). That encourages relevant roleplaying, and not just random blathering.

:house: genius
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 am

stubby wrote:
Olothontor wrote:Often times my games involve small XP awards in the form of Snickers Minis (each Snickers wrapper can be cashed in for about 100xp at the end of each session). That encourages relevant roleplaying, and not just random blathering.

:house: genius


Agreed. :myth:
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:05 am

Keldoclock wrote:
stubby wrote:
Olothontor wrote:Often times my games involve small XP awards in the form of Snickers Minis (each Snickers wrapper can be cashed in for about 100xp at the end of each session). That encourages relevant roleplaying, and not just random blathering.

:house: genius


Agreed. :myth:
:godwin:
Image
User avatar
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Mangled, inside Audrey II

Postby thade » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:06 pm

That's an interesting idea, but I'm pretty sure my group would just try to steal eachother's candy. :roll: Why do I get stuck with the weird ones?
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.
User avatar
thade
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: permanantly trapped in my own twisted imagination

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:27 pm

You just gotta be semi-strict about things. Don't be a bitch about it, but don't laugh with them, either. Just make sure the rules are clear, and have minor consequences for those that ignore you. They've gotta know that you're in charge. It's kinda like house-training dogs, if you think about it. That's a crappy analogy, but that's kinda what it is.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby thade » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:46 pm

that reminded me of my favorite quote from the session:

(My group kept talking)
Me: (picks up d20) "This is a d20. Notice that it has many sharp edges. Also notice that it can fit in your eye socket." (awkward silence)
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.
User avatar
thade
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: permanantly trapped in my own twisted imagination

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Well done. We actually have a big plushie D20 lying around, that the family uses to chuck at players who won't shut up. Great minds think alike.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Robot Monkey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Olothontor wrote:Well done. We actually have a big plushie D20 lying around, that the family uses to chuck at players who won't shut up. Great minds think alike.


D4's are painful as well.
Image
User avatar
Robot Monkey
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Weed land

Previous

Return to Lesser Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Silverdream and 2 guests