Homeworld 2

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Homeworld 2

Postby BFenix » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 am

Image

The best space RTS ever made IMO, the whole series actually. I loved the campaign and decided to play it again. Also I logged in for some multilayer action but the lobby is completely empty... So, any players out there that would like a good old armada engagement?

Anyways, Im back into big space warfaring and me and a friend of mine are making a tabletop one. Also been playing BrikSpace alot.
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Hrm. I remember seeing this when it came out. I'll have to get my hands on a copy.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby BFenix » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Hrm. I remember seeing this when it came out. I'll have to get my hands on a copy.

You definitely should, its really a great game, with a fun campaign thats usually hard to entertain in this type of game, yet Relic and Sierra did quite a good job.

I got my copy when I traveled to London. Found it on sale, 2£ only
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Olothontor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 am

I've been lusting after this game for AGES.

Oh, wait, I have a huge sum of money coming my way from the tax return! Maybe I'll purchase it.

Once I get the hang of it, I'll be happy to play you, BFenix.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:56 am

Olothontor wrote:I've been lusting after this game for AGES.

Oh, wait, I have a huge sum of money coming my way from the tax return! Maybe I'll purchase it.

Once I get the hang of it, I'll be happy to play you, BFenix.

Ahah, excellent, Im absolutely sure this is your type of game Oloth :)
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Olothontor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 am

BFenix wrote:Ahah, excellent, Im absolutely sure this is your type of game Oloth :)


Of THAT I have no doubt. My only worry is that my poor computer will decided that it's too much. I may have to play it without anything else running in order for it to work properly.

Edit: "Properly" actually meaning "without lag."

Edit II: I've begun looking into modding with a partner of mine. Any updates that come of that (albeit slowly), I'll post to you guys. Thus far, we plan on making this little concept ship of mine into a test model, a small freelance science and exploration frigate (with a color scheme more adjusted to Homeworld style, so as not to set it off too much. It'll probably be mostly dark grey/rust brown metal with blue painted stripes and designs.

Image

Anywho, that's that.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, to increase performance you could just lower all the video parameters like special FX and some lighting features, that game is quite simple graphically

About your test ship, I like its design, it is very uncommon so see round shaped ships in HW2 but Im sure a good modeler can get it right. About the color schemes you can make it editable in-game when choosing players
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Ham701 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Looks like a dog. Or a pig.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Image
User avatar
Ham701
Galidor
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Watching DS9

Postby jmatthew » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm

OMFG I love this game! It's funny; I actually just re-installed my copy not more than 2 weeks ago. I think I preferred the first title's slightly slower pace in some of the missions. I also don't like the way the enemy scales each mission based on your fleet size, opening up a cheat where you just scuttle your fleet at the end of a mission, starting the next one off against a weak enemy while you have tons of cash. I miss too the fleet formations from the first game... *sigh*
Cataclysm was pretty fun too.
Even though I own and have played all three games extensively though, I have actually never played online against another real person....

I think the thing that got me back into this game recently was picking up a copy of Sins of a Solar Empire, which is an altogether fantastic game which you should definitely check out if you haven't already. It's more about strategy than tactics, and much different in terms of gameplay than the Homeworld games, but is truly epic in my opinion.

<img src="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CqPXN1_5w4k/TJQSh9Vm-5I/AAAAAAAAAJA/XPEH41NW6Pg/s400/Weblog+17+-+Sins+massive+fleet+escapade.jpg">

This is a good <a href="http://theinquisitiveloon.blogspot.com/2010/09/strategic-depth-and-sins-of-solar-space.html">review of the game</a>, if you so desire.
Image
User avatar
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:09 am
Location: R'lyeh

Postby BFenix » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 pm

jmatthew wrote:OMFG I love this game! It's funny; I actually just re-installed my copy not more than 2 weeks ago. I think I preferred the first title's slightly slower pace in some of the missions. I also don't like the way the enemy scales each mission based on your fleet size, opening up a cheat where you just scuttle your fleet at the end of a mission, starting the next one off against a weak enemy while you have tons of cash. I miss too the fleet formations from the first game... *sigh*
Cataclysm was pretty fun too.
Even though I own and have played all three games extensively though, I have actually never played online against another real person....

I think the thing that got me back into this game recently was picking up a copy of Sins of a Solar Empire, which is an altogether fantastic game which you should definitely check out if you haven't already. It's more about strategy than tactics, and much different in terms of gameplay than the Homeworld games, but is truly epic in my opinion.

This is a good <a href="http://theinquisitiveloon.blogspot.com/2010/09/strategic-depth-and-sins-of-solar-space.html">review of the game</a>, if you so desire.


I've heard alot about SoaSE but somehow I wasnt convinced to try it out, but Ill do now, thx for sharing matt!

As for HW, I must agree the first one was, different, but not better nor worse than HW2. And about fleet formations you still have the basic three, although not as varied as the old formations of course, but the main ones are there, Capital Phalanx, Frigate Line, etc...
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby jmatthew » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

But seeing all your ships form a sphere around an enemy capital was so much fun!

I would highly suggest SoaSE for a nice change of pace and strategic depth--just know that (other than being set in space) it is absolutely nothing like HW. It reminds me almost of a real-time board game, with the different gravity wells around planets being adjacent spaces on a board. One reason I think I enjoy it so much is that it reminds me of my favorite board game, which is Twilight Imperium.

But hell, at the price, you get more than what you pay for. I've already bought the download of the first of two "micro expansions" for it as well.
Image
User avatar
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:09 am
Location: R'lyeh

Postby Olothontor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:53 am

Aaaah, SoaSE... another game I wish I had played before now.

Might buy it, too. Hah!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Olothontor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:35 pm

So I definitely found a deal on Amazon that bundles the original Homeworld, Homeworld 2, and something else called Independence War 2 for only $24 and change.

Also, as to the technical worries... I figure if I can run Minecraft without too much lag, I can probably run Homeworld without a ton of worries.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby BFenix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Olothontor wrote:So I definitely found a deal on Amazon that bundles the original Homeworld, Homeworld 2, and something else called Independence War 2 for only $24 and change.

Also, as to the technical worries... I figure if I can run Minecraft without too much lag, I can probably run Homeworld without a ton of worries.

Awesome! You probably can, try this just to make sure: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
User avatar
BFenix
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: City Of Ravens (Lisbon)

Postby Olothontor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 am

Hmm, that site doesn't work for me, BF. I'm not sure why, I'll figure it out when I get the chance.

While I was waiting for it to work itself out, I foundthisand figured it was worth sharing. There's a whole MOCpages community based around the Homeworld universe.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Image
User avatar
Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Next

Return to Lesser Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests