Forum Battles Thread (NEW RULE #5) (defunct)

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu May 28, 2009 2:40 am

I'm glad you like what I've done Benny. You should see my older ones as well.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 am

hmm a forum battle thats updated everyday, if orders arent sent the troops sit on there back sides.
i like that idea.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Thu May 28, 2009 11:00 am

yeah, I might have to ask people to submit blanket orders for 2 or 3 turns if they aren't going to be able to send daily ones. So like, rather than "move 5 inches toward tower and attack that guy" it would be "advance on tower".

Then I'll keep sending them daily updates of the moves I've fudged until they send more orders

The battlefield isn't quite big enough for 3v3v3, so I might make it 2v2v2. There will still be 9 armies to choose from, though. The idea is that since it's a CTF game, it may take a lot of turns, so it would be nice to have one round per day so we aren't battling for 6 months
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:yeah, I might have to ask people to submit blanket orders for 2 or 3 turns if they aren't going to be able to send daily ones. So like, rather than "move 5 inches toward tower and attack that guy" it would be "advance on tower".
I don't know why everyone doesn't just use the 2-3 turns rule in their battles instead of individual turn ones. It's faster, harder to misinterperet, and less rules-mongering and more fun.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu May 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:yeah, I might have to ask people to submit blanket orders for 2 or 3 turns if they aren't going to be able to send daily ones. So like, rather than "move 5 inches toward tower and attack that guy" it would be "advance on tower".

Then I'll keep sending them daily updates of the moves I've fudged until they send more orders

The battlefield isn't quite big enough for 3v3v3, so I might make it 2v2v2. There will still be 9 armies to choose from, though. The idea is that since it's a CTF game, it may take a lot of turns, so it would be nice to have one round per day so we aren't battling for 6 months
you have to make blanket orders for forum wars anyways since you don't know where the enemy will move.

these are my turn two orders for project reeve:

have the airship hover next to the wall and the troops which parashuted last turn get back on.
attack everything that isn't allyed that comes into range.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 pm

oh, well I had planned on sending each person an image per turn of their troops and everyone within range, as well as areas they can move to

So I guess the best way to do it would be to receive blanket orders from everyone and just keep them updated after each turn. If they want to change orders, they will have a 24 hour period in which to do so before the next turn

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 am

Almighty Benny wrote:I thought these forum battles were going to suck, but after reading NatalyaAF's (the only one I've read so far) I'm starting to realize what a good idea this is. Cheers, pesgores!

As a result, I'll be hosting my own battle in a few days. I have room for up to 9 armies, so I'm thinking it's going to be 3 v 3 v 3 capture the flag.

Once I finish the battlefield I'll post a time to sign up for teams for anyone who's interested. Hopefully we'll be able to do one turn per day via private messages.
Yay, Benny, Yay.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

RJ
Galidor
Galidor

Post by RJ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Um - did you forget, do you only have 3-5 entries per list or do you have something against Conflict for the Crown - it is a ongoing battle with 9 factions - shouldn't that be noticed?

EDIT:
I didn't notice that you haven't updated it yet. I just wondered if it was one of the first 3 - im not saying it couldn't be one
dilanski wrote:Have your imaginary balls exploded all over the keypad or something?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Argh, prizes and contests are boring to do. I'll update it Saturday, if I can.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

i am almost done building my waste land terrain but am some what at a lose as to what kind of battle to host on it (its being build on two gray base plates and is 85% done) if any one has ideas please PM me
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I too am almost done building my newest battlefield

Once it's finished I'll make a signup thread

Should be room for 5 or 6 players, depending on how close together I decide to make the starting locations

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:42 pm

5 or 6 players is really the best size for online games. That way you have enough teams to make it interesting but you don't have to wait forever for everyone to send in orders.

In fact, the sheer nausea of having to deal with 12 players is the main reason I keep putting off my microspace battle.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:I too am almost done building my newest battlefield

Once it's finished I'll make a signup thread

Should be room for 5 or 6 players, depending on how close together I decide to make the starting locations
By almost, do you mean something like later today, later this week, or next week? I want to be ready when this comes so I can get a spot.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 pm

um...

Well, I work on it whenever I have free time, but I haven't had much of that recently.

The terrain and the main base are all finished, so hopefully by the beginning of next week.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:39 pm

MasterEcabob wrote:5 or 6 players is really the best size for online games. That way you have enough teams to make it interesting but you don't have to wait forever for everyone to send in orders.

In fact, the sheer nausea of having to deal with 12 players is the main reason I keep putting off my microspace battle.
If you stick to a short limit (Brikspace's limit was 48 hours) and show that you ARE going to enforce it, then you won't have many problems. Since your battle will probably have multiple players cooperating, it's easy to find seconds -- if one squadron commander doesn't give orders, someone else on his team will be able to do it for him.