Re: The Scythian Galactic Codex 80k VIEWS?! but 1 new moc

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Re: The Scythian Galactic Codex (20,000 VIEWS!)

Post by The Shadowscythe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 am

Zupponn wrote:
stubby wrote:I hope you learned your lesson and got a PC instead of another macbook.
He should just stop buying laptops altogether if he doesn't need the mobility they provide. They're much more likely to crap out on him than a desktop.
The Shadowscythe wrote:The macbooks where given to us for free as part of our universities provisions for students with learning disabilities mind, so now I have one 2000 quid paperweight and another macbook in need of another 40 quid hard drive so its no big loss in my eyes.
I swear . . . does anyone actually read the shit I post or not?
The macbooks where given to us for free as part of our universities provisions for students with learning disabilities
The macbooks where given to us for free
free
No money parted hands in the acquisition of the Macbooks, which where also loaded up with things like the complete adobe package, final cut pro, apple motion and a load of other software for our media degrees, but we never actually paid for them at all.
dilanski wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:The hard drive that died wad in MacBook no.2, which is seven years old itself from MacBook no.1 - and was in the process of being backed up just as it died, taking the deity with it..
Didn't you upload that? If it's the ship I'm thinking of (Wedge shaped base with a shaft, right?) Then It's part of your full fleet upload. http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/file/vie ... 0fleet.lxf

Dilanski wins, the Diety is saved - I can now return to my other projects.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 am

The Shadowscythe wrote:
You could've asked them for the money that a Mac costs, and instead built yourself a kickass Water-cooled i7 CUDA-core laden RAIDed desktop.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

The Shadowscythe
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:37 am

dilanski wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:
You could've asked them for the money that a Mac costs, and instead built yourself a kickass Water-cooled i7 CUDA-core laden RAIDed desktop.
Couldn't get away with it sadly, but the idea is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wI8JO ... ata_player

I'm just going to leave this timelapse here with you guys. Pictures to come later.
Spoiler
Show

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:18 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wI8JO ... ata_player

I'm just going to leave this timelapse here with you guys. Pictures to come later.
You should do this more often. Would you mind If I tried the same?

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:43 pm

dilanski wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wI8JO ... ata_player

You should do this more often. Would you mind If I tried the same?
Nothing stopping you old chap.
Spoiler
Show

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:51 pm

loved it. Your rambling background is more easy on the ears than the text is on the eyes. Do all your stuff like this and I can play PC games as I catch up with what's going on in your massive heid.

The Regent is awesome. I loved watching it evolve into a fucking huge weapons platform slugger. :tiger:

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 am

-- SCYTHIAN NAVAL CODEX --

-- RIGEL KENTAURUS SHIPYARDS --

-- REGENT CLASS FRIGATE --

As the Aging Savager class frigate has been the mainstay of the Scythian Empires Naval forces for over a century, we have no reached a point where the iconic but war weary design can no longer hold its own in modern engagements.

Its weapons where indeed powerful, but too slow to bear, targeting systems now woefully inadequate - the Armour tough but the shields growing weary in modern naval battles - and its lack of range forces what should be a combat patrol vessel to stick closely to carrier groups and home shipyards, so a new design was put forth to solve these issues and bring a modern, Scythian frigate into the field.

Taking notes from the unconventional design of the Kentaurus class destroyer - the Regent is a workhorse frigate based that now includes an internal an barracks, mess room and medical bay for prolonged deployment. Its twin-hull design now accommodates for an enlarged sensor suite and more adaptable resonance shield system - which are powered by the now staple multi-core antimatter generator system, which in turn then powers the hull mounted Lance-Laser cannon, the oblivious "big brother" to the Savagers spinal mounted laser cannon - capable of almost twice the damage output per blast.

For other other targets, it mounts 4 launch bays for Anti-matter missiles to anti-capitol ship warfare and four tri-barrelled laser cannons, taking their design ethos right out from the Monarch MK-III - high power output, fast reload and fast tracking speed - more than enough to make a bloody mess out of most fighters, bombers, corvettes and gunboats, and even enough to make most frigate class vessels have a run for their money.

This is merely the first of a new generation of combat ships - rumor has it that the Scythian Navy is retiring their older Carrier class vessels and replacing them with another set of untested designs, each more barbaric than the last.

With the declaration of total Genocide against the Immortals and these new found teeth - has the Scythian Empire started to walk down a darker path than they ever before imagined?
Spoiler
Show

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Scythe something I noticed in your video you said the whole crew of the vessel live in the 1 stud wide 'Arm'. I just wondered what scale you have in your head for this? Speaking with Colette, he believes 1 in micro space is about 3-4 meters, but I've always though of it being more along the line of 15 meters, what's your take on this?

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 pm

My guess: That Colette's a dick.

3-4 meters means even most small ships would end up being fairly large. However using this assumed Colette method would mean that Fighters would be as they already are (1x1 flat brik or similar). In reality we all know that fighters realistically would be less than the smallest of Lego parts and collectively accept that they are merely represented by Lego bricks in order to play the fucking game. This representation method also allows for smaller representations of larger ships and even the ability to include more ships in a smaller battlefield. Colette and other assorted assholes can not make this awesome jump of the imagination or leap of logic and are committed to trying to tell everyone that all Micro Ships should be referenced from the smallest unit as the rule. Utter gob-shite.

I do prefer Dilanski's 15 meter scale reference but do not subscribe to any such across the board measurement system since it's just a who has the biggest dick exercise. And don't tell me that shit of wanting to replicate another members work to scale for your own battles. Surely so long as the Micro ships used in any given battle are appropriately sized to each other then the job is done. Putting down constricting rules like these is an anathema to the Brikwars mandate.

Build awesome stuff, play imaginatively, focus on chaotic and hilarious outcomes, punish anyone that argues over rules or that gets overly rules orientated, pants, profit!

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Warhead wrote:My guess: That Colette's a dick.

3-4 meters means even most small ships would end up being fairly large. However using this assumed Colette method would mean that Fighters would be as they already are (1x1 flat brik or similar). In reality we all know that fighters realistically would be less than the smallest of Lego parts and collectively accept that they are merely represented by Lego bricks in order to play the fucking game. This representation method also allows for smaller representations of larger ships and even the ability to include more ships in a smaller battlefield. Colette and other assorted assholes can not make this awesome jump of the imagination or leap of logic and are committed to trying to tell everyone that all Micro Ships should be referenced from the smallest unit as the rule. Utter gob-shite.

I do prefer Dilanski's 15 meter scale reference but do not subscribe to any such across the board measurement system since it's just a who has the biggest dick exercise. And don't tell me that shit of wanting to replicate another members work to scale for your own battles. Surely so long as the Micro ships used in any given battle are appropriately sized to each other then the job is done. Putting down constricting rules like these is an anathema to the Brikwars mandate.

Build awesome stuff, play imaginatively, focus on chaotic and hilarious outcomes, punish anyone that argues over rules or that gets overly rules orientated, pants, profit!
TBH I just want rough numbers so I can slap "Bigger than a super star destroyer" on the packaging, if 15 odd meters is roughly right then It's doable before most LCAD programs become unresponsive. Also as a side note, the F35-B's that'll be flying from the Elizabeth are 15.6 meters long, and most space fighters are slightly bigger than modern jets, so they still fit in scale at larger sizes.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I personally think the bigger scale is not that bad for LDD microspace, since you are theoretically unbounded in the amount of pieces you can use and so more detail is better at a negligible cost (although computational power tends to limit it in practice, but this only becomes important for the largest of dreadnoughts or fleet groups).

For microspace engagements using real-life models I can see the logic of a smaller scale, as then there is a piece constraint and the reverse of the above happens: piece efficiency is favored over detail.

Another reason larger scales are more favorable to LDD microspace is that smaller microspace often tends to compensate for the detail by using clever NPUs and techniques which are not available in LDD due to the annoying unavailability of illegal connections and many useful pieces such as baseless-levers and minifig hands. I'm sure this could be overcome but the building repertoire would still be much smaller.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:54 am

I read like almost six words of Colette's reply before replying.

"D", LDDLDLDLD or whatever it's called isn't really Lego and is a sort of detraction from Lego so I therefore mostly ignore it. Shadow gets a pass cause, well, he's awesome and his stuff is awesome so...

Star Destroyer means nothing. There is no Scale system that Lucas conforms to. He just makes shit up. I suggest you let yourself go and do like wise. Anality holds you back when you should be awesome too.

"C", You've shown in the past, on many occasions, that you are incapable of using anything you say in this harmless way. You will at some point try to use your version of Micro Space as canon and force feed your Micro Space scale system down the throats of the gullible, easily malleable and new and uninitiated in the 5.6 second window of opportunity you have before they realize what a prick you are. I see this as nothing less than another attempt to become "Dah Big Shit" of the Forum. Now, I think I have suitably and eloquently butt-fucked your theory to volatile spunk death and you should never speak of it again.

The Shadowscythe

Post by The Shadowscythe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 am

dilanski wrote:Scythe something I noticed in your video you said the whole crew of the vessel live in the 1 stud wide 'Arm'. I just wondered what scale you have in your head for this? Speaking with Colette, he believes 1 in micro space is about 3-4 meters, but I've always though of it being more along the line of 15 meters, what's your take on this?
My personal take? Well you are about to hit a wall of TL;DR, but I will try my best to cross reference my arguments towards a personal scale with examples and images to keep stuff rolling.

First of all, lets have an old-as-balls image to show the scale of development.

Lets have a look at this, it was the very first frigate I ever built following Olonthors microspace ruleset, the "Bulldog" class frigate (no longer used due to being obselete in universe and due to other things to be discussed later on) - it is about 7/8 studs long, build on a plate base/flat level and uses very few parts to attempt to represent weapons and hull detail.

And now the Regent, my most current build - with a noticeable size increase, SNOT building techniques and multiple stud directions and layouts to mark hull detail.

The Bulldog I would consider to be everyone's "base" attempts at micro space, be it LDD or otherwise - most builders would start at this level, using antennae pieces as turret weapons and building on a single axis, completely ignoring the concept of combat in three dimensions and over all lacking in detail and functionality. Most builders starting at this level would be better off playing a classic naval game with the designs they have created - no concept of a "Z" axis, broadside weaponry and a very beginners viewpoint in how a space engagement would work.

BUT - it is a start, and all good things start from small seeds. Look at the modern design, the turrets actually look like turrets - with a defined motion of axis, it LOOKS like something a gunnery crew would be inside, crampt in tiny chairs and crawl spaces, breathing each others sweat and fear as they get hurried orders and targets from the sensors and bridge crew - the turret turns, the barrel levels and the weapons open fire, inside the turrets of the Regent it is easy to imaging three guys getting sweat ridden through fear as the laser weapons vent for the next volley and that is needed to fully immerse the mindset of a builder - if you are playing microspace you NEED to imagine how the crew would be inside - so the old antennae/ball guns are fantastic for a beginners point of view - but as time goes on, the better the building skills become and the better the mindset of how what you are building would work becomes, scale increases to suit.

So lets move onto Warheads first chunk.
Warhead wrote:3-4 meters means even most small ships would end up being fairly large. However using this assumed Colette method would mean that Fighters would be as they already are (1x1 flat brik or similar). In reality we all know that fighters realistically would be less than the smallest of Lego parts and collectively accept that they are merely represented by Lego bricks in order to play the fucking game. This representation method also allows for smaller representations of larger ships and even the ability to include more ships in a smaller battlefield. Colette and other assorted assholes can not make this awesome jump of the imagination or leap of logic and are committed to trying to tell everyone that all Micro Ships should be referenced from the smallest unit as the rule. Utter gob-shite.
3-4 meters per stud would work fantastically for skirmish scale games, where something akin to most "frigates" would be 30-40 stud long table hogging monsters and most engagements would be between fighters and bombers that would fit on a scale fairly similar to befitting our frigate class vessels now, representing something larger than a destroyer would be nigh-impossible and most games would be better run using actual SHIP scale SHIP's and using minifigs to boot - but that defies the point of Microspace, we are making our stuff smaller to fit more awesome on the table, which is a point Warhead most elegantly covered in the post above.
Warhead wrote:I do prefer Dilanski's 15 meter scale reference but do not subscribe to any such across the board measurement system since it's just a who has the biggest dick exercise. And don't tell me that shit of wanting to replicate another members work to scale for your own battles. Surely so long as the Micro ships used in any given battle are appropriately sized to each other then the job is done. Putting down constricting rules like these is an anathema to the Brikwars mandate.
dilanski wrote:the F35-B's that'll be flying from the Elizabeth are 15.6 meters long, and most space fighters are slightly bigger than modern jets, so they still fit in scale at larger sizes.
Now these two posts alone define a rough sense of scale, most modern fighter craft are big, bigger than most of us thing because the minds eye expects something that flies to be small - most birds are small creatures with a large wingspan to body weight ratio and biology defines this far better than my short as shit explanation.

Fightercraft however, are fucking big - and most of them would never be able to fly by their design without considerable computer support. The Eurofighter would never be able to get off the fucking ground without the onboard computer making constant flight adjustments to the crafts wings and thrust ratios to keep the fucker in the air, let alone things like the Harrier or Vulture.

With a space fighter? You need multi axis controls - fuel lines throughout the craft and control systems to operate them, and then the computer systems to translate pilot controls into actual fucking motion to stop the thing from gyrating out of all fuckery - then you need your main engines to provide thrust, then the fuel tanks or power generator (or most likely both), the cockpit and life support systems - then the weapons, then the Armour. Most space fighters will be larger than modern craft which stands to point that representing them on the table would be difficult and so simplifying them on the table makes for a much easier way of playing the game - if we get too bogged down in creating something as "simple" as a fighter, larger craft become impossible to play without needing a fucking spreadsheet of data for something you should be able to fit on one side of a single business card.

15 meters makes sense, but should not be the rule - I personally work on the basis of a single stud being between 10-20 meters with a little leeway for the sake of the minds-eye, I can point out on the model roughly where everything should be so why do I need an exact weight/height/tonnage? I can clearly define which craft are fighters, bombers, gunboats, corvettes, frigates, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, battlecruisers, carriers and dreadnaughts - with enough room to wiggle in such variations as "Light" "Heavy" "Assault" "Support" and enough to work in things like "Super" before that - so why bog things down with further naysaying and debate when two players at a table can agree on rough terms and throw themselves into apocalyptic combat with enough firepower to level a small moon?

Watching the engagements from the forum so far, I have seen skirmish scale games with 3-4 ships a side, and titanic battles with multiple fleets and eldritch horrors from beyond, LDD is a decent base for people on the forum who would otherwise be unable to battle to throw their sides together and get something going without the need for spending money on bricks they may not be able to afford.

I would love to host a battle of my own eventually, but time contraints are an issue for myself, as they always have been before.

Now, despite past dickeries and obvious bullshite - can we all agree that George Lucas is a twat and get back to building more spesssheeps pwease? :studgod:
Spoiler
Show

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:Now, despite past dickeries and obvious bullshite - can we all agree that George Lucas is a twat and get back to building more spesssheeps pwease? :studgod:
Someone make this man Poet Laureate. Now back to Lego.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Warhead wrote:"D", LDDLDLDLD or whatever it's called isn't really Lego and is a sort of detraction from Lego so I therefore mostly ignore it. Shadow gets a pass cause, well, he's awesome and his stuff is awesome so...
I suspect you haven't seen mine, since I posted these while you were away.

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 31&t=11291

I got more of the throne done, but its not finished yet.
http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 31&t=11306