The Military of Nyphilis United

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Who would win in a fight?

BoB
9%
A Triangle
11%
Brikthulu
49%
a nuke
31%

Total votes : 45

Postby Warhead » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Blame the people who don't research properly.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:10 pm

...oh hey that's me! :)
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Cpl. Halan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:11 pm

ikensall wrote:
PS: before somebody makes this mistake, the calibre on a big gun (like a warship's) is how long it is, not how big the projectile/barrel are.

Huh? I thought that all guns were measured by the diameter of the shell they fire. The biggest guns were 18 inch cannons on the Musashi and her sister and no gun is only 18" long(unless you count pistols but we are talking about naval guns). Or were you talking about brikwars?
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby Hoboman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Warhead wrote:I think WWII convensions suit space navies best IMO.

Sounds good to me. :D
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby Swordsalmon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:I do it too. Blame Star Wars.

But aren't Moncal Cruisers larger than the Imperator Star Destroyer? Though Star Wars ship classifications are a lot different than contemporary ones. A 'Star Destroyer' is classified as a general purpose star ship, able to conquer a star system by itself. The ISD classes actually resemble carriers more than destroyers or cruisers, especially the Super Star Destroyers like the Pelleon class SSD.

Though for contemporary ship classes (Commonly used in Sci-Fi), the largest to smallest goes:
Super Carrier; centerpiece of a United States task force
Carrier; largest for all countries but USA
Cruiser; combat support and limited carrier capacity
Destroyer; destroys stuff (Of course), no notable carrier capacity
Frigate; anti-submarine support, no notable carrier capacity

Remember, Destroyers and Frigates are support ships, whereas Carriers and Cruisers are generally main combat ships. Carriers typically get replaced by Battleships in Sci-Fi, however.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.
Swordsalmon
Dimmy

Postby Warhead » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 am

Star Wars ship classification: How can I explain in such a way that this will never be brought up again by anyone, ever. Don't ever bring this shit up again or I will eat your face. Worth a try.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Bragallot » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh. It's on the wiki. So it can't be anything too serious. *moving on*
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Well, since it's been mentioned twice, I went ahead and linked it. http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/Immortal+Ship+Class

It appears that I've been thinking the Tantive IV was a Cruiser, while it's obviously a Corvette. Blame Empire At War, not Star Wars. Gah. Excellent chart Warhead.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Warhead » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks, it's based on a Star Ship construction and battle game from when people used pencils, paper and cantadulators.

As Stubby made clear the last time Ship Classes were discussed some ships classes blur into heavier or lighter ship types depending on how they were made and their purpose. I don't think that lends itself to any sort of fixed chart so I dropped/ignore this fact so that there is something that I can work with. I'm still working on it.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Cpl. Halan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Warhead, did you transcribe the tech from In Death Ground to brikwars?
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby Warhead » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:41 am

Nope, Weber used the template and background for Imperial Starfire the game for In Death Ground. :) Love that series of books though. His fleet engagements work to my mind better than the stupidity displayed (for example) in Star Wars that makes for great eye candy for the kiddies.

I have the original rules and since I'm privy to such ancient knowledge then it means my Empire has some serious hardware advantages that you yung uns with your Halo and 40K saturated minds can only ogle at. Where did you think my HIVE solid core missile launchers came from? It's almost a direct copy + paste straight out the book. I even used the Warp Hole Assault rules for my first Micro-Space Battle. :lol:
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby BFenix » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:35 am

Warhead wrote:Nope, Weber used the template and background for Imperial Starfire the game for In Death Ground. :) Love that series of books though. His fleet engagements work to my mind better than the stupidity displayed (for example) in Star Wars that makes for great eye candy for the kiddies.

I have the original rules and since I'm privy to such ancient knowledge then it means my Empire has some serious hardware advantages that you yung uns with your Halo and 40K saturated minds can only ogle at. Where did you think my HIVE solid core missile launchers came from? It's almost a direct copy + paste straight out the book. I even used the Warp Hole Assault rules for my first Micro-Space Battle. :lol:

Thats true old one :wink: but don't generalize, I've taken much inspiration from non-mainstream stuff, I can't think of much right now, but I recall reading lots of Michael Moorcocks work, the Homeworld VGs and DUNE.
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 am

Indeed, this is good news, however I was speaking to the Generic ones, those who have yet to become alive.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

If you look at most ships built for wargaming purposes, they're only about half the size of your average "model" microscale vessel, the kind of ship that Non-Brikwarriors post on Mocpages and Flickr. These ships, used in a forum battle, would generally be considered cruiser class or larger. Pedo's ships are slightly larger than average, but still all of them fall well within the "frigate" or "destroyer" class. (If anyone hasn't mentioned this before, frigates and destroyers are in real life about the same size, but optimized for different missions) Build something bigger, sorry.

Also, too:
beluga wrote:Image

The Shadowscythe wrote:Image

(Found Here)
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby beluga » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 pm

LoL, all this argument about ship classes, it's ridiculous.

Theblackdog, the whole idea was to plagiarize Scythe's cruiser design, then mass produce it. It was supposed to be a ridicule that, though he has a vast empire of 400 systems, I have yet to see him build one model of that ship outside LDD.
  ▲
▲ ▲
Hail the Triangle!
TROLOLO
beluga
Minifig

Location: On a really small, bicycle-sized chunk of Pandora after I nuked it to bits

PreviousNext

Return to The Armoury