Dungan Swarm

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Postby MasterEcabob » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Nice work, I really like how you incorporated the alien wings for your flying units.

Although you've already got it covered with the blasters, one thing you could do to make things interesting is have all the units have a chance of exploding in a pillar of dung upon death if they get a 1 or a 6 on a roll or something.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:18 am

I loved this so much i made my own:
<<>>

The Ajax Swarm:

My version of the Blaster

My version of the Ripper Image

The both of them together
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 am

I never found the Starship Troopers books, I should probably order them some day, 'cos the movies kinda leave you wanting. The last one does, at least, that whole G-Bomb thing was just kinda... meh.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Zupponn wrote:I hope to offend everyone.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Location: Trying to find something else to put here now that I have a new custom rank.

Postby HAL-9001 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:54 am

Ooh, using the big robot legs! I like it!

Although I'm having trouble seeing what you did for the Ajax Ripper (does it have seven limbs, or am I miscounting?) and Blaster; those close-ups are rather blurry.

All glory to the Swarm!

Regarding Starship Troopers: I've heard the TV show (Roughnecks) is a good adaptation, but I have yet to see it myself.
Heuristic ALgorithmic AFOL.
T6281: Solar Federation (Rules T6588)
T6777: Dungan Swarm
T6783: Space Pirates
T7349: BrikWars Vehicle Datasheet
T7402: Imperium Constructor
TROLOLO
HAL-9001
Officer

Postby enders_shadow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 am

nice, rwl, I like the ripper, though, in my mind, the blaster should have more spindly legs, b/c it's so clumsy. otherwise, good job!
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am

HAL-9001 wrote:Although I'm having trouble seeing what you did for the Ajax Ripper (does it have seven limbs, or am I miscounting?) and Blaster; those close-ups are rather blurry.

All glory to the Swarm!].

Sorry about the blurry, and yeah, the ripper has three legs, two sything limbs in front and two stabbing limbs in back.

the blaster has Grievous' guard's body as a base, three robot legs, a cylinder attached the head, and a tan brik put on top with some trans gubinz
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Swordsalmon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:54 pm

HAL-9001 wrote:Okay, sci-fi history lesson time! :rtfm:

1959: Starship Troopers (never read, though I hope to fix this)

1987: Warhammer 40,000 (read the books, never played)
1998: Starcraft (never played)
2011: Dead Space 2 (never played)

I have the most experience with the WH40k fluff, but ultimately, all "bug war" sci-fi can trace its roots back to Mr. Heinlein.

I'm glad you all enjoy the Dungans. Believe me, I'd build more if I had the parts to do it.

I included Fleebnorks and Jaw-Jaws in the army because (1) the "revealed to be part of a bigger threat" trope is part and parcel of the whole "utterly alien threat from beyond known space" deal (see: Genestealers), (2) they don't get enough attention (especially seeing as Fleebnorks have a stat card already), and (3) I thought the name "Dungan" was too cool to go to waste on a minifigure based on Jar Jar Binks. Honestly, if it bothers you that much, I could just say that certain strains of Fleebnorks and/or Jaw-Jaws have been "adopted" by the Swarm.

Starship Troopers didn't have the diversity that the Tyranids brought to 'bug wars'. There were only three primary castes in the Bugs' system- worker drones, warriors, and brain bugs. And of course, they were advanced and intelligent, especially compared to more modern Tyranids, Zerg, and Buggers.

You have to read Starship Troopers. It's one of the finest novels around, and it required reading if you're military. In the case of the Marines, literally. ^_^

I guess the Fleebnorks fit a bit, then. I think adding more Jaw-Jaws and possibly Insectoid figures would help fill out the swarm.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.
Swordsalmon
Cannon Fodder

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Oh hey! A use for my droids! Thanks.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby HAL-9001 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Dungan Coordinator wrote:Yesss...the ssswarm multipliesss...sssoon, there will be broodsss on every world...all glory to the Ssswarm!
TROLOLO
HAL-9001
Officer

Postby OREMAWESOME1234 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Infested Terran marine wrote:LLIVES FFOR TTHE SSWARM!!
OREMAWESOME1234
Dimmy

Postby HAL-9001 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:02 pm

I've added a new creature to the Swarm (the Warrior), as well as a group photo.

Also, a thought of mine: instead of having a dedicated "queen" (i.e. a unit which boosts the skill of the Dungans around it, and causes issues when it is dead or not present), I was thinking it would be neater to have a sort of "swarm network":

Swarm Network (+2xSize CP): The Dungan Swarm has no single directing intelligence; instead, it consists of a distributed control network that becomes smarter when more nodes are present. Each Dungan creature with this specialty projects a Swarm Network equal to its Effective Size; Dungan creatures within that field are said to have joined the Network (whether or not they have this Specialty), and Networks which overlap are said to join together (e.g. a Dunglet within five inches of a Hauler within five inches of a Sky-Hauler are all part of the same Network). Sum the Effective Sizes of each creature in a given Swarm Network; for every ten inches, each creature within the Network receives a +1 Skill Bonus, up to +5.

So, by sticking together, Dungans get smarter -- but on the other hand, they also become vulnerable to explosive or template weapons, and the more damaged they are, the tighter they have to stick together.
TROLOLO
HAL-9001
Officer

Postby White Nun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:20 pm

(feeling itchy and reaching for bug spray......) Yes you are right there aren't enough swarms here on Brik Wars. BUT you've certainly made a great start and I think we're going to see more swarm armies in the future.

:ftw:
White Nun
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Nitewatchman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Wait, the Warrior has an electric organ?

Shouldn't it look more like this:

Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby HAL-9001 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Hmm, maybe I should create an organism like that...using cheezy synthesizer tunes to sonically attack large numbers of enemies.
TROLOLO
HAL-9001
Officer

Previous

Return to The Armoury