An Inquistadores' worst Knightmare (Updated with more Dakka)

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Postby Paco » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:06 pm

:shock: I saw the pictures of the frame you posted last year, but seeing the completed model is completely different!

Great work Brag, I'm a huge fan of Code Geass, and its great to see another Knightmare frame on the forum. (Is there an armory post of piltogg's Siegfried?)
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.

Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?
Paco
Jaw-Jaw

Postby piltogg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

just in the akkadian army thread. It's a lot smaller than this one though.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Re: An Inquistadores' worst Knightmare

Postby Brikboyz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Falk wrote:
Bragallot wrote:...should the Gekka be defeated and blow up.

Is that even possible? Also, you should add some bigger guns.

Not what I'm betting on like Bonn-o-Tron. :wink:
Kill the Peach, Burn the Heretic, Purge the Nega!
Spoiler: show
TROLOLO
Brikboyz
Officer

Postby Ex_Bajir » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:30 pm

@Bragallot, I hope the commanders/gunners of any of the tanks the 'knightmare' faces are not smart enough to aim for the one structural weakness every mech ever has...THE GODDAMN LEGS!

seriously
The Ex-Bajir, the last Commander of the Legio Mortis.
Ex_Bajir
Officer

Postby Bragallot » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:50 am

Ah, there was bound to be someone who hadn't seen Code Geass :)
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Ex_Bajir » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Bragallot wrote:Ah, there was bound to be someone who hadn't seen Code Geass :)

I haven't seen code geass but is it safe to guess its one of those shows set in the future where mechs have replaced all other military vehicles?

Also a successful leg-shot can bring down any mech of any size easily,from a hardsuit, to a gigantic armored core...

DEAL WITH IT
Ex_Bajir
Officer

Postby Silverdream » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Ex_Bajir wrote:I haven't seen code geass but is it safe to guess its one of those shows set in the future where mechs have replaced all other military vehicles?

Also a successful leg-shot can bring down any mech of any size easily,from a hardsuit, to a gigantic armored core...

DEAL WITH IT

Nope. There are still Airships, submarines, helicopters, tanks, trucks, Battleships, Carriers and every other military vehicle.

Also, because of the thinness of the legs and the speed at which they travel, it is hard to take down a knightmare frame just by shooting at the legs.

Nice try though.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby BFenix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Ex_Bajir wrote:
Bragallot wrote:Ah, there was bound to be someone who hadn't seen Code Geass :)

I haven't seen code geass but is it safe to guess its one of those shows set in the future where mechs have replaced all other military vehicles?

DEAL WITH IT

We are talking about a highly agile war machine that has the weaponry to pwn any other average military vehicle before it even has a chance to aim at it.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Oh god, it's the AC thread all over again. This thing wasn't built to be invincible and I'm not saying it is (nothing's stopping anyone from building a more powerful mech either), but it has no exploitable weaknesses that make it completely easy to destroy either as in, taking it down before it could dish out a lot of punishment. Rather, the tank's own weakness would make exploiting that weakness very difficult; It also has added armour on the thighs and a full hit on the legs powerful enough to blow one off while it's moving and evading would be difficult, and even a legless Knightmare can fly... There are things that would be good at taking it out but a standard tank's not one of them, by the time it got the necessary shots in to hit (considering the tank's heavy weapons have a high UR which will only be higher because of the Gekka's evasion and it's not going to get a lot of shots in) the OT sword would have already done its work in most cases. If I was on the other side of the battlefield from it air strikes, heavy ramming vehicles, guided missiles and ultimately massed fire coming from a wide formation would be my counter, but above all I'd like to have my own huge mech so I wouldn't have to bother 8)

The thing is, simply, melee is the basic of all combat and real modern armies are lacking it completely, so if there were to come something that could use melee and get close enough to do it, they'd be having a lot of trouble.

That said the Prussian army does need some lighter support vehicles / mechs as well, just this and the Mobhunter isn't enough, right now I'm feeling a bit uninspired though and unsure if I still have the bricks to pull something off (as you can imagine the Gekka used up a lot of specific parts), but we'll see.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Ex_Bajir » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Bragallot wrote:Oh god, it's the AC thread all over again. This thing wasn't built to be invincible and I'm not saying it is (nothing's stopping anyone from building a more powerful mech either), but it has no exploitable weaknesses that make it completely easy to destroy either as in, taking it down before it could dish out a lot of punishment. Rather, the tank's own weakness would make exploiting that weakness very difficult; It also has added armour on the thighs and a full hit on the legs powerful enough to blow one off while it's moving and evading would be difficult, and even a legless Knightmare can fly... There are things that would be good at taking it out but a standard tank's not one of them, by the time it got the necessary shots in to hit (considering the tank's heavy weapons have a high UR which will only be higher because of the Gekka's evasion and it's not going to get a lot of shots in) the OT sword would have already done its work in most cases. If I was on the other side of the battlefield from it air strikes, heavy ramming vehicles, guided missiles and ultimately massed fire coming from a wide formation would be my counter, but above all I'd like to have my own huge mech so I wouldn't have to bother 8)

The thing is, simply, melee is the basic of all combat and real modern armies are lacking it completely, so if there were to come something that could use melee and get close enough to do it, they'd be having a lot of trouble.

That said the Prussian army does need some lighter support vehicles / mechs as well, just this and the Mobhunter isn't enough, right now I'm feeling a bit uninspired though and unsure if I still have the bricks to pull something off (as you can imagine the Gekka used up a lot of specific parts), but we'll see.

Fair enough,at least you aren't saying its superior to a STD or something...

Anyhow its a pretty awesome creation and makes me wish my as of yet to be posted faction had any mechs or even the parts to build them...

..or if for that matter it would probably help if I knew how to build mechs...
Ex_Bajir
Officer

Postby Bragallot » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:34 am

In a one-on-one situation it'd win (after I finish adding some stuff to it), but their 'base value' on the field should be comparable, it just depends what / on what terrain you are fighting. If the enemy has a lot of large, slow vehicles with high UR guns and a lot of firepower a Knightmare would be preferable but if they're a well-entrenched infantry army with many small to medium support vehicles I'd prefer having a super tank as well for its sheer firepower and armour. In code geass it is also shown that Knightmares often have trouble attacking well-entrenched armies especially if they need to cross terrain where they can't use their speed and the enemy combined firepower is just too great to avoid.

As for building mechs, it probably helps if you know exactly what you want first. I used a picture for this, if you're not going with an existing design drawing out the basic shape at first and thinking up front how you're going to connect stuff would not be a bad plan. I threw a bunch of parts I thought could be useful together based on that (which saved a lot of time), and also worked segment per segment. I started out with the legs but I'm not so sure if that's a good thing to do as I had to change them later. Having a lot of 'joint' pieces and picking the right ones from these is crucial, in general the bigger the mech is the smaller the chance you're going to make him very mobile. The first creation could move his legs in 3 different ways, shift his body up and down and even move it independently from his legs, but that just wasn't so sturdy as you can imagine.

If you're going to build a mecha, I'd advise you to start out with the head. It'll give you an immediate idea of how big the thing is going to become and will keep it from growing over your head ;)
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby BFenix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 am

:protip:
Bragallot wrote:In a one-on-one situation it'd win (after I finish adding some stuff to it), but their 'base value' on the field should be comparable, it just depends what / on what terrain you are fighting. If the enemy has a lot of large, slow vehicles with high UR guns and a lot of firepower a Knightmare would be preferable but if they're a well-entrenched infantry army with many small to medium support vehicles I'd prefer having a super tank as well for its sheer firepower and armour. In code geass it is also shown that Knightmares often have trouble attacking well-entrenched armies especially if they need to cross terrain where they can't use their speed and the enemy combined firepower is just too great to avoid.

As for building mechs, it probably helps if you know exactly what you want first. I used a picture for this, if you're not going with an existing design drawing out the basic shape at first and thinking up front how you're going to connect stuff would not be a bad plan. I threw a bunch of parts I thought could be useful together based on that (which saved a lot of time), and also worked segment per segment. I started out with the legs but I'm not so sure if that's a good thing to do as I had to change them later. Having a lot of 'joint' pieces and picking the right ones from these is crucial, in general the bigger the mech is the smaller the chance you're going to make him very mobile. The first creation could move his legs in 3 different ways, shift his body up and down and even move it independently from his legs, but that just wasn't so sturdy as you can imagine.

If you're going to build a mecha, I'd advise you to start out with the head. It'll give you an immediate idea of how big the thing is going to become and will keep it from growing over your head ;)

Don't forget that the KM is cheaper to field, so you could probably have two KM's for the cost of one STD, and in numbers, a mech like this would defeat an STD easily.

Oh and try to determine its size before starting construction, it would be a shame if you ran out of bricks while building. Also, browse the web for mech designs, there is pretty amazing stuff out there.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 am

Well, I don't know, I rate the odds of me building another rather low ;)

Anyway, I finished adding some dakka to the Gekka. Dakka to the Gekka! Now that sounds funky. Aaanyway, first off...

Head Laser. Long ranged and useful against aerial targets.

Also useful for owning little shits who think it's fun to jump to the heads of mechas with explosives strapped to them (j/k Zahru ;)).

You may have already noticed it on the previous pics, but I added the slash harken! It's a unique Knightmare weapon used for smashing, grappling, throwing stuff over or scaling difficult heights.

See the missiles? There's the anti-vehicle weapons you've been asking for.

They're guided and will typically be fired before the Gekka charges into range for obvious reasons. It's optional equipment but he has room to carry 2-4 more, I haven't decided yet.

Finally there's a minigun on the hatch to mow down infantry encroaching from behind. It can turn in any direction.

The Gekka has also been equipped with a shield generator, just to be sure.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby BFenix » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am

Hell to the Yeah! Nice add-on's Brag, the Gekka is now a tough bastard to take down. I just spot one more little thing, the studs on top, like on the shoulders and upper cockpit area. Despite that, good job!
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Robot Monkey » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Gotta love the ass gun. :lol:

Anyway, amazing mecha! You can feel free to join the Third Alliance at any time. :wink:
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to The Armoury