Dragon Lancer Squad

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Dragon Lancer Squad

Post by Kaplan » Wed May 16, 2012 3:22 am

Hello again! After my first fantasy style brikwars squad "werewolves" (http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... =17&t=9531)
here it is my second one with filesheet and cards. This time I represent you a heavy cavalry unit for the human forces. The Dragon Lancers.
Well trained and well equiped knights royal to their king.I hope you like it.

SQUAD FILE SHEET

STAT CARDS:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

I actually printed them and put them into small plastic foils.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Re: Dragon Lancer Squad

Post by Falk » Wed May 16, 2012 6:48 am

Nice! I like how you have squads of pretty much the same guys.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 am

They look awesome indeed. However, i think they are quite overpowered. Successful cavalry charges are devastating already in Brikwars and with those bonusses... i don't know. Since you took the effort to make stat carts i assume you have already played some battles with them. So i wonder how your house rules work out. Looking forward to a battle report.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

tymon555
Officer

Post by tymon555 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:21 am

superior quality and well organized troops. I also think they are powerful in battle.

Apollyon wrote:They look awesome .......Looking forward to a battle report.
Oh, He's here.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Their charge attacks may be devastating, but with every unit taking their extended actions to help the fight, they're only getting +1 skill and +2 damage, with one lucky officer getting +4. The skill makes a pretty substantial difference, but with 14 charge attacks on horses (because remember that two guys gotta be bannering and musicing), and at 4d6 damage PER CHARGING UNIT, +2 damage isn't really that big of a deal.

But yes, in a completely successful charge, this squad would deal a total of 56d6 + 30 damage. Since they'd only have to make a use of 3 (against minifig-sized targets, of course. This squad would be murderous to anything horse-sized or larger), approximately 1/3 of them will miss, being something more like 36d6 + 18 damage, plus or minus 2 whether or not the officer hits.

Yeah. Squad Combat is fun. 8)

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Their charge attacks may be devastating, but with every unit taking their extended actions to help the fight, they're only getting +1 skill and +2 damage, with one lucky officer getting +4. The skill makes a pretty substantial difference, but with 14 charge attacks on horses (because remember that two guys gotta be bannering and musicing), and at 4d6 damage PER CHARGING UNIT, +2 damage isn't really that big of a deal.

But yes, in a completely successful charge, this squad would deal a total of 56d6 + 30 damage. Since they'd only have to make a use of 3 (against minifig-sized targets, of course. This squad would be murderous to anything horse-sized or larger), approximately 1/3 of them will miss, being something more like 36d6 + 18 damage, plus or minus 2 whether or not the officer hits.

Yeah. Squad Combat is fun. 8)
Apollyon wrote:They look awesome indeed. However, i think they are quite overpowered. Successful cavalry charges are devastating already in Brikwars and with those bonusses... i don't know. Since you took the effort to make stat carts i assume you have already played some battles with them. So i wonder how your house rules work out. Looking forward to a battle report.
Since this is a quite big squad those damage point seems normal to me. On the other hand almost my all squads have smilar bonuses like the banner and the musician so there is not a big difference between them.

I'm planning to post some battle reports in future. In the meantime i want to post more similar squads in this section if you people like them.

Brikwars is really fun to play. On the other hand i really enjoy creating units and squads by customising and combinng parts and creating custom stuff like banners, capes and other elements. Deciding for the background-stories and the stats of units is also very fun.

Sometimes i totally agree with your ideas sometimes i disagree a little bit but most of you are more experienced than me in Brikwars so your critics and comments are really helpful and important for me for improving myself and creating better balanced units in future. Thank you all for that.

EDIT:
IVhorseman wrote: ...but with 14 charge attacks on horses (because remember that two guys gotta be bannering and musicing)...
Musician is unableto attack but Banner Bearer is able since its banner bearer speciality:
Banner Bearer: This unit has the special ability to use a weapon while carrying a banner on the same hand.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 16, 2012 8:27 pm

But bearing the banner is an extended action, right? Unless the guy has 2 actions, he technically can't.

Of course you can just say the ability lets him negate that action cost because that's obviously what it's supposed to do.

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 am

IVhorseman wrote:But bearing the banner is an extended action, right? Unless the guy has 2 actions, he technically can't.

Of course you can just say the ability lets him negate that action cost because that's obviously what it's supposed to do.
Yes, Exacly
Maybe i have to add the statement "the ability lets him negate that action cost" in the specialty description.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 am

Honestly as long as everyone else on the table can agree on it it doesn't matter.

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 am

Firstly when i looked to the rulebook i thought that maybe I have to change the term "extended action" because the rulebook is stating:
"Extended Actions use up the minifig’s entire Movement and Action;"
The banner and the musician should have an effect while they are moving.

Than i see that the banner has it's own effect and not moving by itself. (It is carried by the Banner Bearer). So there is no problem with the extended action of the banner. The banner bearer has already the ability to carry the banner without losing his action.

On the other hand, the +1 Skill bonus is an effect of the musician and not the instrument and it should be like that because a regular minifig simply can not play a musical intrument to affect their brother-at-arms. So it will remain like that but i will add to the specialty of the musician this statement:
"This unit ignores the movement penalty that comes from the extrended action." So the problem of movement in extended action is solved.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 pm

bw2010 wrote:In a combined Charge Attack (5.4: Charge!), the attackers combine their Damage and, if they're all striking from the same direction, they can combine their Knockback roll as well. The target must be big enough for all the attackers to Charge into at the same time; otherwise, they're prone to disrupt the Charge by all crashing into each other.
bw2005 wrote:When calculating Momentum and Damage for a Cavalry Charge, only the units in the front row of the Formation are counted, and of those, only those whose path will actually carry them into the target. The rest of the units are unable to participate, and are primarily along to provide moral support and to help resist against KnockBack Damage.
Don't forget stuff like this. The effectiveness of a heavy cavalry charge is limited by the size of the target they're charging against. You probably only get one joust attack per minifig target, for instance, although there's not really any limit to the number of horses that can trample him if they're all running in single file.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

They're also on horses, and not moving themselves. They can still ride around all they want. I still think the musician should be able to trumpet around on foot though, because that'd be hilarious. Is that a trumpet? I can't really tell...

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 pm

IVhorseman wrote:They're also on horses, and not moving themselves. They can still ride around all they want. I still think the musician should be able to trumpet around on foot though, because that'd be hilarious. Is that a trumpet? I can't really tell...
Yes it is a trumpet. It came from the clown minifigure of the 1. Collectible Minifigure Serie.

It makes sense for a musical intrument for a cavalary unit since it is used in real world for centuries:

Image Image Image

Ofcourse in medieval times there were probably no trumpet. But i can imagine that similar instruments (e.a horns) were been used by military forces.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Lego had real cavalry bugles back with the old west sets, they were chrome and everything.

You don't want to limit the musician perk to guys on horseback, because there are plenty of examples of squad musicians on foot. Consider the drummers in Napoleanic marching forces, for instance.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?