Brikwars General Server Set-Up/Research

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Re: Brikwars General Server Set-Up/Research

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Olothontor wrote:Image

Oh wow. I know how to do blobs of land in World Painter, but this takes the biscuit.

This was more what I was thinking of, a set of inner spawn islands, and then (When I had got round to painting them) multiple incredibly resource rich outer islands, and then a impassable boundary at the end of the world. This would mean we could just have a community rule of no PVP on the inner islands, but lawless outer islands.

I think I now know enough for what you all kind of want, but I don't think I could make the kind of map necessary, it always seems to end up with a very glitchy void boundary. Olothontor, if you have any ideas on how to get it seamless into minecrafts terrain generation, I'd be happy to use any map you could create.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Dilanski, that tends to be the trickiest part about it. While theoretically possible, it does take some extra tweaking. The simplest option, based on my experience, is setting it to just generate normal world past the limit of the map you've made, and then going in on the server with WE and VS to make it more seamless. You generally end up with weird biome stuff going on, but since the concept is isles, it's all Ocean biome so it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing you'd be doing is getting rid of the regular sheer cliffs on the seafloor, which would probably be a really quick procedure, depending on the diameter of the world. If we're using your world, lanski, that would take a hell of a long time. Then again, it's necessary to get the effect you want, of the inner and outer rings of islands. So, there is that.

World falloff is a lot easier, but does mean that there's no infinite world, which does seem to go against what a lot of people want out of the server map.

All of that said, between last post and now I've been doing some work on the central island- and since I really like Shadowscythe's idea and I wanted to put what I had learned from the crater tutorial to test, I kinda ran with it. We don't have to use it if you're adamant about the extensive island world, I'm just doing practice stuff.

Obviously in WorldPainter the water from the crater would be removed and would be all open. The interior of the crater still needs some more realism to it, but I'm relatively happy with everything else. Also, this obviously isn't an MC map yet, so it's not entirely representative of what you'll see in the world proper, but it's pretty close. I love the Coastal Overlay macro, it makes the map preview all shiny.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you all might ask about scale. I have options on that point, I could make that island huge or really tiny, though that messes with the resolution of the thing. As it stands, I'll probably leave it standard resolution, maybe slightly higher, so the island itself will end up being between 550-650 blocks wide. Plenty of space- that's roughly equivalent to far view distance, so while you're in the crater you should be able to see the edges of it on all sides, and on the outside edge you /should/ be able to see the other side of the crater if you've got the render distance pumped all the way up and a decent computer.

EDIT EDIT: Got rid of that odd banding on the crater walls. Looks a lot better.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Well, I think the infinite generation trumps the custom map. With a custom map, it will take a lot of work, and the entire point of this server is that It could be up and running by this weekend. So, while I way everything we've discussed up, there are a few little questions to fill the time until I get it sorted:

World Name (For the story writers)? Initial 'Project'? & Server Name (I'm thinking 'Brikwars' has a ring to it)?
ImageImage
o/
dilanski

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Holy fuck I could build an awesome fishing village on stilts in that crater.

I think I just jizzed a little in my shorts.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 pm

So we should decide whether we want to keep the lake in the crater or not, I guess. I can go either way. I personally like the original idea of a city scaling the walls of the crater, but a neat little fishing town sounds awesome too.

I think I know what shadow's vote is; anyone else want to weigh in?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Olothontor wrote:So we should decide whether we want to keep the lake in the crater or not, I guess. I can go either way. I personally like the original idea of a city scaling the walls of the crater, but a neat little fishing town sounds awesome too.

I think I know what shadow's vote is; anyone else want to weigh in?

I think it should be used, just so we can make scythe happy. What if you didn't make it an island? just a chunk of land, then we could weave into the terrain as it spawns? Actually could you do that and export it to me when you are able?

Edit: The decided plan. Once I get a working map, write a main post here, and move the old white-list over, stuff will get real
Last edited by dilanski on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd vote for the lake, though since I'm not planning on building their, I really don't care all that much.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Alright, here's a rough of the map. I did away with one of the radial gradations in the node network since it wasn't going to be an island anymore. The result is rockier terrain with lakes. I also left the lake in the crater for now, though I can do a re-export and remove it later if that's what we decide on like Bonn-o-Tron. The created map is about 670 blocks wide. For the world border, I set it to none, so standard Minecraft map will generated beyond the boundaries of crater territory. It'll be tricky and take longer to incorporate it into the map this way, since we have to deal with both land and lake borders, but you asked for it, so here it is. The water height is at least the standard 62, so there's no madness there. I made sure of that.

Here's an idea of what the created map looks like:

And here's the world file in case anybody wants to tinker with it/check it out in engine.

It's worth pointing out that with the island version of the map there's almost no incorporation to be done. I can set the world seed to an oceanic spawn and we can plop it in with almost no effort, and the map would still have infinite boundaries.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Hhhngh, either map is awesome - just get a damn server up already.

The Shadowscythe

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:05 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:Hhhngh, either map is awesome - just get a damn server up already.

If the map works, I'll go for it.

Umm, spawn is lethally under water.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Then non-lethalise it dammit!

The Shadowscythe

Postby Arkbrik » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Are there ores and such in the crater part of the map? (No worries if there aren't, just want to know before I start digging)
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 pm

dilanski wrote:
Umm, spawn is lethally under water.

Can you insert the crater into a different part of the map near spawn, rather than having us spawn in the crater itself?

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby dilanski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Minecraft just crashed. I think it may be the generation, if not, IDK. Edit: It was the generation, there's a good 30 block void. I'm going to load up a new world, find a good sized ocean, and plop the island version in that. Is it possible if I could have said island version?
ImageImage
o/
dilanski

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Sheesh, so many problems.

Yes, ores should be generated and scattered a la the standard algorithms.

Not sure why you crashed. Also, yep. Forgot to move the spawn point to somewhere less dangerous. My bad. Try this one.

EDIT: Just caught your edit. Going to get the island version ready to go, few minutes.

EDIT EDIT: Here you go. Didn't do anything with trees or other special stuff, so it's rather plain.

EDIT*3: Mine is crashing every time. Damned WorldPainter update probably has something to do with it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

PreviousNext

Return to blah blah minecraft