Fort Venturion Construction Log

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

Fort Venturion Construction Log

Postby Olothontor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm

If I'm going to continue updating and posting lots of pictures, the Property thread seems like an inappropriate place for it all. So here I am.

The goal here is to create a castle that breaks the traditional mold of "Minecraft castle," which immediately brings to mind either the very simple, flat-walled cobble abomination or the truly extravagant, overly large FyreUK megabuild style fortresses. Something reasonable for Survival, but also aesthetically pleasing- something less like a castle and more like a community palace, if you will. I also wanted to add fantasy elements to the castle- again, building a straight up medieval castle, while cool, would still not look great.

So, that said, I popped into a new flatlands Creative world to scribble some ideas, using what I already have and improving upon it while taking into account the rough guidelines. The original walls were decently textured but too short- the new walls are more than twice that height, taking into account the wooden palisades. Also, they're significantly wider now, with both an interior and exterior walkway- part of the idea also being that the inside is comfortable and homely while still functioning in terms of defense. The new wall design features 4 different walking paths, on various levels, and each appearing differently so you can remain aware of where you are on the wall. Passage between walkways will depend- some may have frequent ladders to access upper and lower areas, while others will only have access from corner towers and gatehouses.

Another part of the overall plan was that the interior of the whole fort would contain all of the amenities of Survival living- a farm, stables, ironworks, shops, houses, some aesthetic and others utilitarian, but all fitting into the theme of the build as a whole. I have not yet decided whether these structures will be built into the walls themselves at various points, or remain separate.

The other idea I was tossing around, since this will take so many resources, was simplifying the big picture into just a small fort- one gatehouse, one tower, and the walls enclosing a well and a farm field. This seems like a likely option.

Also it looks pretty neat at night.

Now for a raft of images.
Spoiler: show

And for reference, the original wall design that I made without testing first. Silly me.

UPDATE: An example of a modest house or shop built right into the space beneath the interior catwalk.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Re: Fort Venturion Construction Log

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

How does your texture pack know where to put up the banners and fliers?
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Olothontor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 pm

badagle wrote:How does your texture pack know where to put up the banners and fliers?

They're paintings. Also, it's Conquest resource pack, in case you're interested. I highly recommend it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Olothontor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 am

Update for the night before bed- finished translating the wall onto the server, with a few slight changes. The top on the inside still bugs me, it's just so flat and boring. Tried doing a wavy bit like the level below it and it just looked weird as hell, and a few other ideas didn't work either, so it stays for now I guess.

The rest of it I'm fairly happy with. Now I just need the corner connectors, main keep, courtyard, and gatehouse.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Falk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 am

Olothontor wrote:

Maybe add some sort of murder holes to the alcove thingys? If you're planning on using it like a survival fort then the mobs will track you and be under there where you can get at them without breaking the wall.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."

Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
Falk
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:52 am

Falk wrote:Maybe add some sort of murder holes to the alcove thingys? If you're planning on using it like a survival fort then the mobs will track you and be under there where you can get at them without breaking the wall.

After a little bit of testing, here's what I've got. It looks kindof ridiculous, but it's practical I suppose.

You can kindof see the sea of zombie heads in that last shot. Kindof.

I'll implement the change when I get on today. Should be a quick fix. I didn't screenshot it, but I also adjusted the bottom of the arches so that there's less space for them to hide down there. If they're pressing up against the wall to get at you, then they're in plain sight of the murder hole.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby BFenix » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 am

That texture pack looks like something out of Quake. Impressive. Image
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Some more faffing about in the Creative world to create the corner towers. It's going to be a royal pain to get this one done in Survival, but I'm feeling up to the challenge. After this, it's just the Keep (blessed asymmetry) and the gatehouse.

@BFenix: I'd never thought of it that way, heh.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby SIR_WHO » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Hey Olothanator, could I post pictures of my Mage Tower here? Its the concept for my mage-tower on the server :D
~~Who
TROLOLO
SIR_WHO
Hero

Postby Olothontor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:38 pm

SIR_WHO wrote:Hey Olothanator, could I post pictures of my Mage Tower here? Its the concept for my mage-tower on the server :D

You're welcome to, though I don't know why you wouldn't just go ahead and make your own thread.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby SIR_WHO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Less forum clutter, seeing as this is basically where all the creative-made concepts are. Also, gonna be posting the pics in about 2 days, I've got an 8110 Unimog to build atm.
~~Who
TROLOLO
SIR_WHO
Hero

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:51 pm

SIR_WHO wrote:Less forum clutter, seeing as this is basically where all the creative-made concepts are. Also, gonna be posting the pics in about 2 days, I've got an 8110 Unimog to build atm.

*glances over as tumbleweed rolls past*

Really don't think we need to worry about clutter, mate.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Olothontor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:56 pm

SIR_WHO wrote:all the creative-made concepts

That being, uh. Mine. Which I made a specific thread for because I didn't expect any others.

Also the only clutter on this forum, as Ross pointed out, are all of the old dead threads. Really no concern at all.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby SIR_WHO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Well, I just saw no reason to post a new thread for 3 pictures :P
~~Who
TROLOLO
SIR_WHO
Hero

Postby Vami IV » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 pm

:necro:
This is pretty very nice.

I wanna use this in the future, as I am still learning (but ask WHO, I can build).
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft