Mods and maps

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians

Mods and maps

Postby Gorchek » Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Mods are a great way to make Minecraft even more fun. Why not share your favorites?

BIOSPHERE

By Risugami (the same person who makes ModLoader), this mod replaces the terrain generator. The image above was a test to see what happens when you install that mod and use it on an already started world.

Each large sphere holds a separate biome, while the smaller sphere hold deep-earth ores, like diamonds. It's an interesting mod if you like to play classic survival with just a small twist.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v166-risugamis-mods-updates/
Gorchek
Officer

Postby RedShirt » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 pm

The yogscast did a video on that! I wish I knew how to use mods.
Brik-Hed will rule you all!!!!!!!
RedShirt
Officer

Postby Robot Monkey » Tue May 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Reminds me of the testing spheres from Portal 2...
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby knolli » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 am

I started playing Survival Island while I couldn't log onto the server.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=117731

It's slightly harder than nomal SSP because the initial resources - most importand: wood! - are strictly limited. But once you found some coal and dirt underground, killed some skelettons and used their bones as fertilizer for the trees, it gets quite easy. The challenges are interesting. Most of them are not bound to Survival Island and could easily be used to improve any other map.

I had and still have fun and I think its worth a look.

I am going to make some sceenshots of my achievements. I have cleared 6 of the 10 main challenges and 2 of 5 bonus quests I found so far. Do you know a good blueprint for a fire trap that still works in 1.6?
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Gorchek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 am

For those who don't know how to install mods, go to the paulsoaresjr channel on YouTube, and watch his Minecraft Mods playlist. That should get you started easily enough.

Also, if you like the Survival Island, try Adrift!

http://digitalmonkeyshines.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/adrift/

You are the last man on a drifting ship. Can you survive, and make your way back to land?
Here, it's not wood you're lacking... it's land.
Gorchek
Officer

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Well... I'd count lava as fire, honestly. You might have to actually go to the nether to get netherrack in order to make that fire trap.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 am

Ross_Varn wrote:Well... I'd count lava as fire, honestly. You might have to actually go to the nether to get netherrack in order to make that fire trap.

The problem is not the natherrack (see below), but the design of the trap. In my opinion, using a lava trap is to avoid the challange. So I want do build a trap that uses burning natherrack to kill the mobs and flowing water to move the drops to a save area. The main problem is that the last update fixed the glitch that allowed water and fire to effect advactent fields and made water ladders and some firetraps possible. Now the mobs have to walk into the fire. Standing next to it no longer does any damage. But as long as they are standing in the fire, they drops will burn. When they are standing on solid ground, the drops will remain there and I have to go into the dungeon to collect them. But if I try to use water to flush the drops out, I will save the mobs from burning to death.

Comming up with a good design is the real challange!
I am open for suggestions.

SPOILER ALARM: You can find natherrack in the Treasure of the Lost Curator. Not much but sufficient.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Rody » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 am

using a small ledge of lava (kept in place by signs or ladders) you can also kill them, with a higher chance of the drops surviving.
Code: Select all
Sort of like this (side view):

LLLLLL                         L=lava
~~~xBBBBB                         B=Block
BBB~                              ~=Water
BBB~~~~~~                         X=Ladder

with the lava source block being far enough from the ladder that only a small sliver of lava stays there.

I don't know how well it would work with spiders, though and it may need a bit of redesigning for that.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Killer Karetsu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:56 am

Hey guys, can many mods be active at once when you play on singleplayer?
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:21 am

Rody wrote:using a small ledge of lava (kept in place by signs or ladders) you can also kill them, with a higher chance of the drops surviving.
with the lava source block being far enough from the ladder that only a small sliver of lava stays there.

I don't know how well it would work with spiders, though and it may need a bit of redesigning for that.

What you discribe is a lava trap. I know what a lava trap is. But I don't want to build a lava trap. I want to use a fire trap. Read my last post.
knolli wrote: In my opinion, using a lava trap is to avoid the challange. So I want do build a trap that uses burning natherrack to kill the mobs and flowing water to move the drops to a save area.

@Killer Karetsu:
There are different kinds of mods:
Some are only specially designed maps. These are technically not mods but save games.
There are texture packs, which do nothing else than change the looks of the blocks. Some are really good. I also put character skins in this class.
The real mods influence the gameplay by introduceing new items or new rules. A good example is the PRG-mod we had installed on the server. You can use as many of the gameplay mods as you want but you must watch carefully how they interact with each other.
Last edited by knolli on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Killer Karetsu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm

knolli wrote:You can use as much of the gameplay mods as you want but you must watch carefully how they interact with each other.

Thanks. Looking forward for the monster mod to be upgrated to the current minecraft version.
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Postby knolli » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 am

The modders definitely have a hard time keeping up with all the updates, bug fixes and new bugs recently.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Gorchek » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 am

MoreCreeps & Weirdos v1.99, updated for 1.6.6!

Now includes undead lawyers, trophies, and the letter G!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/100514-166-morecreeps-weirdos-v199-hotdogs-lawyers-from-hell-jail-hippos-letter-g/
Gorchek
Officer

Postby Rody » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:53 am

knolli wrote:
Rody wrote:using a small ledge of lava (kept in place by signs or ladders) you can also kill them, with a higher chance of the drops surviving.

What you discribe is a lava trap. I know what a lava trap is. But I don't want to build a lava trap. I want to use a fire trap. Read my last post.
knolli wrote: In my opinion, using a lava trap is to avoid the challange. So I want do build a trap that uses burning natherrack to kill the mobs and flowing water to move the drops to a save area.

as far as avoiding the challenge goes, I disagree, but I suppose you could do things as alternating cacti and fire to make sure that the mobs don't stand dead center on the fire, wasting the loot (in a way that doesn't reduce the killing potential)

or build an eleborate mob sorter to go with your trap just for kicks.

in any case fire traps that rely on some south-west rule quirks to prevent item-loss are probably fixed.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Killer Karetsu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Gorchek wrote:MoreCreeps & Weirdos v1.99, updated for 1.6.6!

Now includes undead lawyers, trophies, and the letter G!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/100514-166-morecreeps-weirdos-v199-hotdogs-lawyers-from-hell-jail-hippos-letter-g/

:wtc:
EDIT: Woah, awesome!
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft