Bukkitcontrib now required!

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians

Bukkitcontrib now required!

Postby 501stCadians » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:02 pm

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit ... ost-430567

Please install this to gain all the wonderful benefits me and Olothontor will be putting on!
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
My Little Pony

Postby knolli » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Will there be conflicts with other mods I may have already installed?
I use ModLoader and some others that I need that to play the Aether mod. Which rocks, btw.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:54 pm

knolli wrote:I use ModLoader and some others that I need that to play the Aether mod. Which rocks, btw.

I'm sure you meant whitch rocks. You know, because they float and everything.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Zupponn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 pm

stubby wrote:
knolli wrote:I use ModLoader and some others that I need that to play the Aether mod. Which rocks, btw.

I thought he meant witch rocks. :wink:
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby OREMAWESOME1234 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:00 pm

does it work for mac?
OREMAWESOME1234
Dimmy

Postby 501stCadians » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

OREMAWESOME1234 wrote:does it work for mac?

Yes.

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
My Little Pony

Postby knolli » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 am

Zupponn wrote:
stubby wrote:

I thought he meant witch rocks. :wink:

I meant "which rocks". What are you talking about?

On another note: I tried to install Bukkit, but I got a Severe Error messege and the installation was canceled.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Rody » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:19 am

knolli wrote:Will there be conflicts with other mods I may have already installed?
I use ModLoader and some others that I need that to play the Aether mod. Whitch rocks, btw.

looking at it, it might just overwrite all of you mods such that you'd need to reinstall those.
as for conflicts? I have no idea.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 am

knolli wrote:On another note: I tried to install Bukkit, but I got a Severe Error messege and the installation was canceled.

I had the exact same problem.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Pooplord

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby 501stCadians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 am

Modloader, as a tool, is meant to reduce/eliminate incompatibilities between minecraft mods for the client and server. By this respect, it is a complete failure. Client mods are often incompatible, and frequently modify dozens of internal minecraft files to achieve their desired effect in game. Further, modloader mods must be rewritten to work with MP, and are often incompatible with other MP mods and are incompatible with popular server wrappers, like Bukkit. Special efforts by individuals of dubious credibility have to be made to get any semblance of compatibility. Every up and coming mod that uses modloader feels inclined to rewrite the wheel and break compatibility with other established mods. Worse, for every custom mod you add to your server, your players must each manually download them and install them themselves, a daunting task for many players, or server admins are forced to distribute copies of pre-made minecraft jar's, illegally.

With this in mind, I call the modloader project a complete failure. While initially helpful in managing simpler mods that just add new blocks or items, it's long outlived it's usefulness and now serves to hinder more than it helps.

A much broader, seamless solution for managing client modifications must be sought. Such a solution should be as easy for users to use as possible, compatible with multiplayer servers, and easy for developers to utilize and expand on, while being more secure than blindly trusting unknown developer. This is where BukkitContrib comes in. It will eventually bridge the ever-widening gap between servers and clients, and allow safe, non-invasive, client modifications with minimal user interaction.

Eventually, BukkitContrib will allow server plugins to add custom blocks/items/entities/vehicles to the game, without users having to manipulate or corrupt core game files. After users have installed the initial BukkitContrib modification, no future changes will be needed, since everything will be done, per-server. Players will be able to jump from a highly modded server with hundreds of new blocks and a custom texture pack to a vanilla server without exiting the client, or changing the way they already use the game. Server admins will be able to add plugins that have diverse and much more advanced capabilities - including, but not limited to custom items, custom textures, custom blocks, custom entities/vehicles, etc.

In the meantime, BukkitContrib will continue to break compatibility with existing client mods. This will mean that all client mods will eventually be incompatible with BukkitContrib

501stCadians
My Little Pony

Postby knolli » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 am

Good to know. So basically you are telling me that I have to deinstall Modloader and every single mod that utilizes it, like the Aether. That's a real pity.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Postby 501stCadians » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

knolli wrote:Good to know. So basically you are telling me that I have to deinstall Modloader and every single mod that utilizes it, like the Aether. That's a real pity.

Or just swap out Jars, and move .minecraft to somewhere else, like documents where you can easily do it.

501stCadians
My Little Pony

Postby Olothontor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 pm

This is actually a huge pain in the ass, and I'm suddenly beginning to feel like it isn't worth all of that trouble.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Pooplord

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Ham701 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Remove this shit, the people have spoken. That's bullshit if you have to remove every mod you have for this.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby knolli » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't see a problem there if I can actually toggle between two different minecrarft.jar's. In fact I thought along this lines earlier, too. And multiplayer with you lot beats singleplayer by far.

So stop bitching guys.
knolli
Jaw-Jaw

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft