What is your favorite battle size?

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Favorite battle size?

Tiny (no more than 3v3)
1%
Small (platoon vs platoon, maybe a small vehicle)
12%
Medium (more than 15 troops, some vehicles)
38%
Big (more than 40 troops, big battlefield)
29%
EPIC (no less than 100 units on each side, gigantic battlefield, lots of vehicles)
20%

Total votes: 131

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Anybody ever done a capaighn,.. say like 12 battles, where resources from one battle can affet the next battle?

Zahru
Officer

Post by Zahru » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:40 pm

I prefer medium size battles (though I never played bigger ones). I'm also experimenting with small-scale skirmishes which would affect upcoming bigger battles. Maybe if I won the lottery, I'd advance to big or even epic scale warfare.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:42 am

I voted medium. My battles have been of the EPIC size category with a bit over 100 minifigs per battle, and it's just too fucking time intensive. I'm going for medium for the next one whenever I hold it. Maybe I'll actually finish it on time that way. (One turn for my battles takes approx. 3 hours of playing it out, photographing it, editing photos, uploading them, and posting the report. I'm not doing that shit again.)
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 am

Pvt Expendable wrote:Anybody ever done a capaighn,.. say like 12 battles, where resources from one battle can affet the next battle?
I did something like this at the last skirmish I played, the "Five Times Fought Battle". It was pretty cool to be the last man standing, and then be utterly annihilated by a heathen horde of clone bricks or a massive army an hour later. And of course, the armor, weapons and bodies left as litter from the last matches make pickup games pretty good.
Were it that simple...

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 am

I've always wanted to do a campain with like 3 teams and each team has like 7 figs and each stage in the campain has a objective like get the create or take as much objective tokens(gamers my know this as loot) before turn x something like that.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:29 am

tahthing wrote:I've always wanted to do a campain with like 3 teams and each team has like 7 figs and each stage in the campain has a objective like get the create or take as much objective tokens(gamers my know this as loot) before turn x something like that.
Most of the times I've tried this, it degenerated into a smash fest with the treasure all but forgotten. Looting is always second to the joy of combat; beating down the other guys is a lot easier than absconding with the goods!
Were it that simple...

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 am

Professor Ken wrote:
tahthing wrote:I've always wanted to do a campain with like 3 teams and each team has like 7 figs and each stage in the campain has a objective like get the create or take as much objective tokens(gamers my know this as loot) before turn x something like that.
Most of the times I've tried this, it degenerated into a smash fest with the treasure all but forgotten. Looting is always second to the joy of combat; beating down the other guys is a lot easier than absconding with the goods!
yeah but if you have a team of 5 your not gonna want to waste them just killing especlly if theres 3 teams and you smash one so they are out but you now have 1 fig hes gonna die soon since the other team is at full strengh, also if everyone smashs each other in the first round then they might all loss since there objective isn't gonna be kill it will be things like "find the parts of (insert thing here) which are scaterd on difrent areas(you might start in area 1 find the piece move on to area 2.... but if you waste your guys killing then you might find your down to 2 and theres a task that requires 2 buttons in diffrent areas to be pushed to open a door on the other side of the door theres a button to open the door, this task needs 3 (2 people to hold the buttons down, one to go though the door and then to hold the therd button down for the other two to get though).
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"

Jaye Tea
Officer

Post by Jaye Tea » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:43 pm

I prefer a medium sized battle to balance things out.
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:09 pm

tahthing wrote: yeah but if you have a team of 5 your not gonna want to waste them just killing especlly if theres 3 teams and you smash one so they are out but you now have 1 fig hes gonna die soon since the other team is at full strengh, also if everyone smashs each other in the first round then they might all loss since there objective isn't gonna be kill it will be things like "find the parts of (insert thing here) which are scaterd on difrent areas(you might start in area 1 find the piece move on to area 2.... but if you waste your guys killing then you might find your down to 2 and theres a task that requires 2 buttons in diffrent areas to be pushed to open a door on the other side of the door theres a button to open the door, this task needs 3 (2 people to hold the buttons down, one to go though the door and then to hold the therd button down for the other two to get though).
I reserve my devious strategies for Axis and Allies and Star Wars Minis. I prefer not to get too invested in such paltry things as victory in Brikwars, and instead focus my attentions on achieving as much general destruction and hilarity as humanly possible.
Were it that simple...

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Professor Ken wrote:
tahthing wrote: yeah but if you have a team of 5 your not gonna want to waste them just killing especlly if theres 3 teams and you smash one so they are out but you now have 1 fig hes gonna die soon since the other team is at full strengh, also if everyone smashs each other in the first round then they might all loss since there objective isn't gonna be kill it will be things like "find the parts of (insert thing here) which are scaterd on difrent areas(you might start in area 1 find the piece move on to area 2.... but if you waste your guys killing then you might find your down to 2 and theres a task that requires 2 buttons in diffrent areas to be pushed to open a door on the other side of the door theres a button to open the door, this task needs 3 (2 people to hold the buttons down, one to go though the door and then to hold the therd button down for the other two to get though).
I reserve my devious strategies for Axis and Allies and Star Wars Minis. I prefer not to get too invested in such paltry things as victory in Brikwars, and instead focus my attentions on achieving as much general destruction and hilarity as humanly possible.
ah but if you die in the corridors of indestrucable concreate you can't move on to the coredors of highly exoplosive stuff!

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 pm

That is what reinforcements are for, my friend. Who says the violence needs to stop when you can just spawn (or REspawn) a new squad?
Were it that simple...

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:04 pm

i just solo play-tested my idea it ended with one teams machnic escapeing in a vtol he repaird the layout was two small tables with lego pices on them to have minifigures be able to hide or half hide(makes them harder to hit) and two downed vtols(hummingbirds are great for broken vtols since there fluff matchs this) as well as some rasied areas and a small brige(most deaths happend when the brige was blown up by a grenade-launcher) it was supriseingly funny aspecly when the mechnics(one on each team, the teams had a mechnic and a grenade launcher as well as some more genaral units) finised the hummingbirds and duked it out while the ground forces fought on some stairs leading up to a higher level(ill take pictures of the field to give you lot a better idea).
since the mechnic escaped he can reform a group of the size it started, the other team can do the same and so will start with more than the others next time.

basically there are two five man teams,
they are in a highly cluterd area that normally is compact with multiple levels.
they have to achive an objective (collect ten jellybabys,capture the jaw,jaw poo-on-a-stick and be the last person holding it,etc)
the game ends when:
1 all of one team die/everyone dies!
2 the objective is achived (all of one team get thought the gate of brikthulu,the heart of zompotupus is stabed)
3 if a team is reduced to 1 person they can retreat/runaway by leaveing the battle area,the scores are then counted(who had the the most jullybabys/poo-on-a-stick) and the winner might even be the rereater

if all of your team is killed your out the campaine since there no one in your team to become a leader for a new group
if there you retreat with transport then you can reform the team, this can be by makeing new figures or rebuilding your previous team
if you won and theres transport which works (or if you have a mechanic one thats repairable) you can get 1d6 -2 more people (if you get -1/-2 then you reroll)
if your left on the field since theres no transport then you can loot the dead on the field (there hats,body armour,weapons).

the rest is brikwars rules.

RJ
Galidor
Galidor

Post by RJ » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 am

I think it depends on the type of army you have

If the army is full of independent troops with personal names its best to have a tiny or small if u have millions of faceless, friendless,nameless, personalityless troops have a big or EPIC

NOTE: For ultimate Brikwarring
You Will Need:
*EPIC scale armies(have to be mainly melee or it wont be cool :()
*Small battlefield so the troops have no personal space
*A couple of vehicles per side(flying only)
*Mage/Knight Style Hero
Result:
Massive Lord of the Rings scale battles that take up nearly no space don't take long and make you end up with your entire blood brik collection empty.
dilanski wrote:Have your imaginary balls exploded all over the keypad or something?

dcl32
Minifig
Location: In Afghanistan providing supressive fire with an M60

Post by dcl32 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Obviously the smaller the battle gets the more important every soldier is. Even though there is almost always no reason to win, bragging is always fun

Shadow Metagross
Hero

Post by Shadow Metagross » Sun May 17, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm going for big, it's realistic and achieveable.
~40ish guys, some vehicles and a big battlefield is fine as a standard.
Stop Laughing and contribute to society.
~SM