Battle for the Brikipelago

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Killer Karetsu, Zupponn

Battle for the Brikipelago

Postby Carda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Well, it took longer than anticipated (mostly due to laziness) but my first BrikWars battle report is online at http://spacetime-d20.livejournal.com

I'll be posting some set reviews (unrelated to this battle) later today or tomorrow.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/
Carda
Officer

Postby piltogg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:02 pm

very nice game but I was slightly dissapointed that every single thing (that I saw) was from recent sets built to the instructions. Probaly was still interesting for the newbies though.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Carda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:06 pm

I subscribe to the theory that not everything needs to be invented from scratch. There are plenty of sets (such as the mechs, the castle walls, and the tower) that function perfectly well on their own without reinvention.

Besides, as you pointed out, none of us had played this before, so it was good to start simple.

Carda
Officer

Postby Smalex » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:12 pm

The only sudgestion I really have for you is that you might want to think about more custom built things rather than sets built by their instructions, even though it was your first time, everyone has to pop there cherry sometime. Also, do you have any older sets because all the ones I saw looked very recent.
TROLOLO
Smalex
Champion

Postby Carda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:22 pm

All the older sets I have are sitting in a sealed tub somewhere in my parents' house four states away. I'm going to see if they will be willing to ship them out here; once I have my old collection I'll be able to improvise a lot more.

Carda
Officer

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:55 pm

Very nice, decently detailed, well narrorated, so-on so-forth yata yata yata.....Nice job! :wink:
"One can never have enough miniguns my friend."
I hope I get to say that Someday.....
My Flickr
http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63149890&ref=flink
TROLOLO
Matt
Minifig

Postby jophfy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

It looked like a good battle. So you and everyone else playing that game was new?
TROLOLO
jophfy
Officer

Postby Carda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Yep, we were all brand new at it, though it's obvious that some took to the basic concept faster than others. The first player in the rotation invented the Rule of Nudge; it's like the Angry Inch for buildings.

Also I was the only one of the bunch who had even read the rulebook, though I'm looking into a way to print up the PDF of the 2005 Core Rules so that everyone can get a good laugh out of it.

Carda
Officer

Postby Moronstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Great battle, dragon-shooting mechs, rule of nudge, hero-crushing rocks, and snipers falling apart. Can't say what I liked most.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194
Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Postby jophfy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Yah the first battle I was in only Piltogg knew the rules. I think he used the rule of fudge allot because his dragon had a 42 dice roll for attack and about 20 for armor save.
TROLOLO
jophfy
Officer

Postby piltogg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

yup, muhahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
piltogg rules #1: if everyone is to lazy to read the rules before the game as the card stated punish them by makeing it completly unfair so they will lose!!
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Carrnevil9 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 am

A remarkable number of competing factions here. What really struck me is that last year's castle could be stretched out that far. I've managed to squeeze all my crownie stuff onto a single shelf, and I never really tried pulling it apart like that.

Also got a kick out of the Magic template cards.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby Houndis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 am

That looked cool, but there was one great mistake there. AN ALLIANCE. It's not BrikWars to make an alliance in the middle of the game. Other than that, the battle was great. I would have taken more photos, now it seemed kind of unclear what was happening.

Great one for the first BrikWars!
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><
Houndis
Officer

Postby Carda » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 am

Carrnevil9 wrote:A remarkable number of competing factions here. What really struck me is that last year's castle could be stretched out that far. I've managed to squeeze all my crownie stuff onto a single shelf, and I never really tried pulling it apart like that.

Also got a kick out of the Magic template cards.

Yeah, the thing about the King's Castle Siege set is that you build it in sections, and then click the sections together. So it's pretty easy to turn the castle into "ruins" (which are kind of inside out when placed around the edge of a table) by simply taking the separate sections apart again.

And yeah, I kinda liked how the cards turned out myself, although with only half a card's worth of space there's not as much room for stats and abilities. I'm going to play around with Magic Set Editor (the program I used) to see if there's a way to import template files, and if there is, I'll definitely be using the standard BW templates in the future.

Houndis wrote:That looked cool, but there was one great mistake there. AN ALLIANCE. It's not BrikWars to make an alliance in the middle of the game. Other than that, the battle was great. I would have taken more photos, now it seemed kind of unclear what was happening.

Two notes here: one, I was most certainly not part of any alliance, that was all their idea. Second, they established their alliance during the first round of turns in the game, so it really wasn't the "middle".

But yeah, I'm definitely going to try to discourage teaming up like that in the future; the poor guy between those two had his entire army wiped out twice.

And I definitely would have taken more photos had I remembered to do so. Thing is, for about half of each round of turns I found myself either taking my turn or defending against the attacks of the players to either side of me.

Carda
Officer

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Nice game! It seemed like your friends got a hang of the senseless chaos quickly, which is good!
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Next

Return to Reports From the Field