LDD, We need a group chat

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

LDD, We need a group chat

Postby dilanski » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 pm

This is important, but it's also going to be very ranty, if you don't like rants, then tough luck, as this is important, if you don't build LDD spaceships, you can leave, this isn't for you, and you probably don't want to hear this, but if you have ever built a single LDD space ship then park it and zip it for 5 minutes.

Let's get something straight right here and now, the time and effort put into a build should scale not linearly with size, but near exponentially. The point of building these big lovely space-pricks is to sink hours of our time into them, days even, to be truly invested in your build turning out how you want it. this will mean you will make false starts, this will mean time spent before hand getting details right before the first bricks are placed. It will mean putting the kind of effort into LDD that you'd put into a real build, LDD is supposed to be convenient, not low effort. If at that point you'd rather play with real Lego, then go on, no one is keeping you from placing physical bricks together, for fear of being called a hypocrite, yes, I'm going to drop LDD like a rock when my dark age ends, LDD exists here with these people making these builds on this forum purely out of convenience and circumstance, and there is a lot more joy to be found building with the genuine article.

But to keep it on track the problem I'm bringing up is that as we go bigger in this weird LDD spaceship contest we have going on, we're coming to a point when exponential effort theory is reversing. people seem to be using the fact the scale now being worked on is so large, that we have to put less effort in to get larger models. that if we put effort and detail in, then part counts will swell, and models will become unworkable, that if we don't simplify the design of our models, then we'll never build bigger, to this I say, 'DON'T build bigger', if you can't keep the effort up, or don't have the time to make something that shows your skill as a builder, then simply don't build that big, skill doesn't come from building big, and good models don't come from going big, good models come from time and effort, regardless of how much skill you have, god knows I've built some piles of shit while trying to go big, and he knows I don't look back on them with rose tinted glasses, as they were truly awful, that is what came from trying to push scale without the effort needed.

I've never laughed at a model here because it's small, quite the opposite, some of the best models ever made here were nothing special size wise, there is no shame in not competing in the size war, as frankly it's silly, and it's ruining any kind of shared universe for our builds and factions we had going on, as at this point we're becoming more elitist on how big people build. As a quick example:

<Quantum>: I also have no interest in the penis measuring contest. I appreciate good builds.

<Quantum>: That's one of the reasons I haven't begun a SD yet. I refuse to build a big copypasta.

I think it's more than Quantum who's looking away from the LDD group on here, and if you are, then please speak up and knock some none sense into people.

I will never tell people how to use there lego, digital or otherwise, this post is just me trying to make some noise, and getting you to ask yourself the question "If I can't build big and good, then should I just build good instead, and leave big until later". This isn't directed in anyone in particular, as I can point all sorts of fingers, and have just as many pointed back at me, but what I am seeing is that pretty soon, the big builds will be less interesting, and lower effort, than the small builds.

So am I going mad? Am I being a trouble causing prick? Is this actually all true? I haven't a clue, but I'd rather bet on the latter of those three questions, rather than the former two.
ImageImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Re: LDD, We need a group chat

Postby Silverdream » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Well said. We also want to be able to run battles in LDD, so it's better if we scale back. For now I'm don't building big ships, and I'm building mostly smaller stuff.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

As an aside, I really believe that LDD has a quality all its own. I'm broke ass and I don't currently have extra income. I have a reasonable collection of bricks but nothing I could build too much out of. I certainly don't have many of the specialty pieces I would need to build anything interesting. LDD provides me with a way to build things I never could in real life, and thus explore new avenues of creativity. Unless I can put my degree to work and find a really good job, this is an indefinite state for me. What's more, even if I do land a nice job and have some extra income to spend on one of my favorite hobbies, I'll still use LDD because big damn creations are always, always going to be beyond my capabilities. There is also the fact of the shared universe you mentioned. Any space battles or other large scale stuff is going to require the use of something like LDD if multiple people want to take control.

I wouldn't say I'm looking away from our LDD group here. In fact, I'm looking to become more a part of it. Hence the forum battle. I have a few other ideas as well. It's one of the best ways I can contribute visually to the BW community. I enjoy exploring multiple avenues of creativity.

I tend to agree with the general sentiment, though. Building big for the sake of building big just doesn't interest me. If some folks want to do it, that's fine if they enjoy the copypasta. I just don't. And, of course, as you said, as a natural consequence of building too big, builders won't be able to participate in the shared universe because of LDD crash. Neither way is inherently wrong by itself, though.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby transformerj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Well said indeed.

I agree with Quantumsurfer that building big for the sake of building big is uninteresting.
If there is purpose to it's size that's different.

Yes I built the Caretaker for the sake of building big, mostly to have something big.

LDD was made so people could express their creativity without the limitations of available parts.
transformerj
Officer

Postby Colette » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 pm

dilanski wrote:This is important, but it's also going to be very ranty, if you don't like rants, then tough luck, as this is important, if you don't build LDD spaceships, you can leave, this isn't for you, and you probably don't want to hear this, but if you have ever built a single LDD space ship then park it and zip it for 5 minutes.

Let's get something straight right here and now, the time and effort put into a build should scale not linearly with size, but near exponentially. The point of building these big lovely space-pricks is to sink hours of our time into them, days even, to be truly invested in your build turning out how you want it. this will mean you will make false starts, this will mean time spent before hand getting details right before the first bricks are placed. It will mean putting the kind of effort into LDD that you'd put into a real build, LDD is supposed to be convenient, not low effort. If at that point you'd rather play with real Lego, then go on, no one is keeping you from placing physical bricks together, for fear of being called a hypocrite, yes, I'm going to drop LDD like a rock when my dark age ends, LDD exists here with these people making these builds on this forum purely out of convenience and circumstance, and there is a lot more joy to be found building with the genuine article.

But to keep it on track the problem I'm bringing up is that as we go bigger in this weird LDD spaceship contest we have going on, we're coming to a point when exponential effort theory is reversing. people seem to be using the fact the scale now being worked on is so large, that we have to put less effort in to get larger models. that if we put effort and detail in, then part counts will swell, and models will become unworkable, that if we don't simplify the design of our models, then we'll never build bigger, to this I say, 'DON'T build bigger', if you can't keep the effort up, or don't have the time to make something that shows your skill as a builder, then simply don't build that big, skill doesn't come from building big, and good models don't come from going big, good models come from time and effort, regardless of how much skill you have, god knows I've built some piles of shit while trying to go big, and he knows I don't look back on them with rose tinted glasses, as they were truly awful, that is what came from trying to push scale without the effort needed.

I've never laughed at a model here because it's small, quite the opposite, some of the best models ever made here were nothing special size wise, there is no shame in not competing in the size war, as frankly it's silly, and it's ruining any kind of shared universe for our builds and factions we had going on, as at this point we're becoming more elitist on how big people build. As a quick example:

<Quantum>: I also have no interest in the penis measuring contest. I appreciate good builds.

<Quantum>: That's one of the reasons I haven't begun a SD yet. I refuse to build a big copypasta.

I think it's more than Quantum who's looking away from the LDD group on here, and if you are, then please speak up and knock some none sense into people.

I will never tell people how to use there lego, digital or otherwise, this post is just me trying to make some noise, and getting you to ask yourself the question "If I can't build big and good, then should I just build good instead, and leave big until later". This isn't directed in anyone in particular, as I can point all sorts of fingers, and have just as many pointed back at me, but what I am seeing is that pretty soon, the big builds will be less interesting, and lower effort, than the small builds.

So am I going mad? Am I being a trouble causing prick? Is this actually all true? I haven't a clue, but I'd rather bet on the latter of those three questions, rather than the former two.

The monster I showed you in chat that probably set off this thread is a likely one-time use plot device more than anything, which doesn't really incline me to make it beautiful. What I'm most grateful about with regards to LDD is the ability to build things even in my constricted schedule, which wouldn't be possible with normal bricks. Of course I do my best to try to make my permanent navy ships pretty, and I've halted progress on my third-gen in an attempt to bring the rest of my fleet back up to spec (such as in the case of the Eirene replacing the older Peacekeeper-class cruiser models).
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Zupponn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Tldr
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby dilanski » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Zupponn wrote:Tldr

TL;DR: Good is primary, big is secondary.
ImageImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Zupponn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:00 pm

dilanski wrote:
Zupponn wrote:Tldr

TL;DR: Good is primary, big is secondary.

That sounds like what the guys with small penises say.
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Return to LDD Forum