A few quick questions

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

A few quick questions

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 pm

I've recently redownloaded LDD for the first time since it came out, so I can work on building the Frangerian Fleet (I'd like to have a few more elements of them to present, since the main army is at best a month or two away, and likely far longer...bloody job market). However, I've also been inspired by Kaplan's new Super Super Heavy Genocide Tank to try and build a SHDT of my own (which will likely be along several months after the Frangerian army gets put together), and while I'm currently in the "dig through the parts bucket and think 'hey, this might be a cool part to use on the tank' "stage, I'm considered prototyping the tank on LDD. My main question is, how suitable is LDD to doing wok like this?

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Re: A few quick questions

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 pm

In my limited experience, it's pretty damn useful for what you suggest. Depending on the complexity of the build, and here I would say it needs to require highly specific parts or unusual connections, you may have to find temporary workarounds in the program that you'll replace later IRL. But I haven't come across this more than a couple of times. Also, when converting LDD to RL, be sure to watch your colors. LDD allows any piece to be painted from a palette. Many piece/color combinations do not exist IRL.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:In my limited experience, it's pretty damn useful for what you suggest. Depending on the complexity of the build, and here I would say it needs to require highly specific parts or unusual connections, you may have to find temporary workarounds in the program that you'll replace later IRL. But I haven't come across this more than a couple of times. Also, when converting LDD to RL, be sure to watch your colors. LDD allows any piece to be painted from a palette. Many piece/color combinations do not exist IRL.

Well, I'm hoping that palette issues won't come up all that often, since I'm going to building the bulk of the tank out of standard bricks. I'm pretty sure that I'll have some workaround problems, since I'm planning on using a pair of these these as the windows covering the control room, and I know from previous builds that they're a pain in the ass to work with.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Colette » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:36 pm

I would say LDD is not the program to use to prototype an enormous Apocalypse Tank. Firstly, treads are a miserable pain in the arse to work with in LDD, which could be a problem for tank creations. Secondly, some of the biggest considerations when building big things IRL include stability and weight, which LDD tells you nothing about. You may produce a beautiful design which turns out to flimsily collapse in real life.

Microspace is probably the best application- the pieces don't look as off as the mini figures, the LXFs can be shared and pitted against each other from across the world, and finally space is zero-gravity anyway, so unstable and unorthodox designs are not only possible, but encouraged.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Good points. I had to find a template to get my treads to work.

I suppose weight could be a problem if you don't have a head for that sort of thing. I'd guess that any prototype ever is going to have a conversion difficulty you should probably be prepared for.

Colette wrote:Microspace is probably the best application

For? Real life conversion? Eh, its as viable as anything else, I guess. Smaller scales mean less weight and balance issues. Less parts means less conversion difficulty.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Return to LDD Forum