Fall of the MoJ: The ORACLE...

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

Scribonius
Cannon Fodder

Fall of the MoJ: The ORACLE...

Post by Scribonius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:56 pm

T-Minus 6 hours before the Exterminatus of Menagerie...
Agent M looked around in shock. "The gate is open. Since when does the ORACLE leave the gate open?"
Sword at the ready, Agent L looked into the shadows, but the only motion were from the trio of blinking yellow lights on the black screen at the far end of the room. "Doesn't look like anyone else is here..."
**Speech detected**
**Welcome to the Temple of O.R.A.C.L.E. What question would you ask of...**
**Oh, its you two morons! About time you got here! Do you have ANY idea what is about to happen?!?**
Rolling her eyes, M waved her arm, indicating the emptiness of the chamber. "Gosh, no! We just happened to be in the area and were wondering why it was so quiet in here!"
**Your sarcasm is not necessary, nor is it appreciated. You're late.**
"Late for what?" L shot back irritably. "Other than the end of the world?
**Exactly that.**
"Is there anything we can do to stop it?"
**I am sorry, Agent M, there is not. Ever since the Magocratic Council began to track the Negaverse energy on this planet, we knew this was a possibility. There are very specific guidelines in place for what to do should we fail to contain them.**
"But they've sentenced us - all of us - to death!" M shouted in protest. "They didn't bother planning any kind of exit strategy to get anyone off the planet before they destroy it!"
**Incorrect. They left me in place here.**
"How are you even functioning still?" L demanded. "Every other piece of advanced technology on this rock within five hundred miles of the Nega-gate stopped working when those pylons went up!"
**I am more magic than technology,** O.R.A.C.L.E. explained in a dour tone. **Now kindly SHUT. UP! We don't have a lot of time to discuss things! I already took care of the evacuation. I have been waiting for you two morons to show up so the three of us can get the fuck out of here before everything blows to hell, and you've left things down to the wire as usual!**
"Well excuse us for not having access to things like cars and aircraft!" M snapped back. "We had to walk most of the way! It was sheer luck that we were close enough to your Temple to even attempt the trip in the time allotted!"
"What do we need to do?" Agent L asked as he tried to keep focus on what was important.
**Wait until I am done talking to do these tasks. First, go behind my screen. You will find my main housing back there. Remove the black box from the center. It should slide out. Place it - gently mind you - into a case of some kind. Once that is done, all you have to do is walk through the dimensional gate.**
M and L cast each other confused looks. "Dimensional gate? What dimensional gate?"
**Look to your right.**
**THAT dimensional gate.**
"I see. Where does it go?"
**I do not know. I sent out techno-magical devices to all the loyal factions on the planet weeks ago. I have the ability to create such things, but I cannot control where they go. Could be paradise, could be hell. We won't know until we walk through the gate. But if we stay here, we will all be destroyed in five hours and twenty-one minutes.**
"Understood." Sheathing his swords for a moment, Agent L stepped around O.R.A.C.L.E.'s screen. It was a moment's work to remove the black box and stash it in a safe place on his person. As he turned back, he saw Agent M staring sullenly at the gate.
"I wish we knew where it went," she whispered.
"As do I," L replied bitterly, "but it almost has to be better than dying." Drawing one of his sword out just in case, he took M's hand and they stepped through into the unknown...

Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
bad at shitposting

Re: Fall of the MoJ: The ORACLE...

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm

So glad you're continuing this. :omnom: :<3:

Scribonius
Cannon Fodder

Re: Fall of the MoJ: The ORACLE...

Post by Scribonius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm
So glad you're continuing this. :omnom: :<3:
Let me assure you, it was not lack of desire keeping me from working on it. This has NOT been a good year for emergency house/life crap, and I doubt it will get better any time soon. That said, the next step in this is just waiting for me to build a tank and some... hobgoblins... :twisted: