My drum player is annoying often

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

Re: My drum player is annoying often

Postby aoffan23 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:10 pm

He probably legitimately is a dick (you know him much better than me), but really? You can't play the off beats? That's hardly an advanced technique or anything. Just "strum" down on-beat without hitting any strings, and then hit the strings when you bring your hand up. And yes that would completely change the feeling of the song. Imagine La Grange (just because you mentioned it) with the guitar strumming on-beat. You've just completely changed the groove of it.

That aside, if he really is being a rick (I accidentally typed that, but it's staying), then just tell him that you get that he's good and all, but not everyone is going to be able to do exactly what he wants, and that you think he should just be a little more considerate of everyone's skill level. Tell him that if someone's having trouble playing a part, that it would benefit everyone to just help them with it instead of giving up and doing it yourself. Then they'll know the part and be better than they were before, thus opening up possibilities for playing even harder stuff if they need to.

If he's not okay with that and just wants to play everything himself then there's not really any reason for him to be in a band, so it's probably better that you find a new drummer at that point.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Sun May 25, 2014 1:46 pm

This still sounds to me like you just need to sit down with your drummer and talk about how he needs to find a band that's closer to his skill level, and you need to find a newer drummer who is closer to where you're at. It's not like shitty drummers are that hard to find.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby aoffan23 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:47 pm

stubby wrote:This still sounds to me like you just need to sit down with your drummer and talk about how he needs to find a band that's closer to his skill level, and you need to find a newer drummer who is closer to where you're at. It's not like shitty drummers are that hard to find.

[SNIP]

I changed my mind about what I thought about this. Skill level isn't the only thing that brings a band together. What he needs to do is decide whether HE finds skill level more important than overall cohesion. If he's only been getting annoying recently, then I assume they worked relatively well together before. It sounds to me like if he can get over the whole "everyone has to play to my standards" thing and work with the other guys then it could be good. If he can't get over it, then skill is clearly the most important thing to him. In that case, it would be a good idea for him to look for better players.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:59 am

Man, I really need to check these forums more often.

Anyways, I kicked him out the band, and also out of my life. (Sounds dramatic, amirite?) In general, he was becoming poison to me. He was always negative and always ranted about stupid shit, like how feminism is retarded because men are getting snuggled and stuff like that. When the rest of the band found out he was gone, everyone was relieved.

My singer told me the day after I kicked him out that he called him and told him to leave my band and to join a new band hes making, and it's funny because just the day before the drummer was telling me about how valuable my friendship is to him. Anyways, there's a guy who looks like a good candidate for drummer that I think will join and I hope that works out.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 pm

lol.

Sounds like it all worked out in the end
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

IVhorseman wrote:lol.

Sounds like it all worked out in the end

yeah, pretty much. The only bad thing (and good thing) is there is only one week of school left, which means if I don't get a new drummer at the end of this school year it may be another full year before we can find a new one.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Mon May 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Craigslist a drummer. Obviously it's a scary Internet friend, but meet em in a public place with the rest of your band, and then do something fun to make sure you all mesh good (and that they're not like... 30 or something).
IVhorseman

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:09 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Craigslist a drummer. Obviously it's a scary Internet friend, but meet em in a public place with the rest of your band, and then do something fun to make sure you all mesh good (and that they're not like... 30 or something).

I would do that, but my mom thinks that everyone on Craigslist is a snuggler. I once put an ad in a guitar center, you can imagine how that went down.

Anyways, I get to see this guy tomorrow, and if he can't do it my guitarist knows a different guy. If that doesn't work, then I'll just Craigslist a drummer over summer when I can drive.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Tue May 27, 2014 1:04 am

:protip: don't tell mom
IVhorseman

Postby Vami IV » Wed May 28, 2014 12:55 am

Brikguy would know how to solve your problem.
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Vami IV wrote:Brikguy would know how to solve your problem.

He could be your new drummer! Look him up!
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Previous

Return to Advice