Classical Music Thread

And why is there a forum for it

Moderators: Silent-sigfig, Maverick

Classical Music Thread

Postby Colette » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Discuss.

I personally love Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, "L'inverno", by Vivaldi, although the rest of Le quattro stagioni is pretty good as well.
Lego Company wrote:...At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior...


:belushi:
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Silverdream » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave was pretty decent. Flight of the Valkyries was a classic as well.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 6743
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Colette » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Silverdream wrote:Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave was pretty decent. Flight of the Valkyries was a classic as well.

Oh, my mom loves Tchaikovsky's pieces, particularly Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35.
Lego Company wrote:...At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior...


:belushi:
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Maverick » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Colette wrote:Discuss.

I personally love Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, "L'inverno", by Vivaldi, although the rest of Le quattro stagioni is pretty good as well.

Vivaldis "Spring" i like.
Think i'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
User avatar
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJKlOkrgt0
A lot of Randy Rhoad's guitar work is inspired by classics. He is actually one of the first neo-classical guitarists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNOa5Gjh2lc
Malmsteem is also a neo-classical player, also very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX8kD9ybFs
Paul Gilbert, playing some classical with his dumb fucking f hole guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu7UA-823Y
Steve Morse, current Deep Purple guitarist playing some classical.

These are all good classical pieces.

And also, Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Colette » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJKlOkrgt0
A lot of Randy Rhoad's guitar work is inspired by classics. He is actually one of the first neo-classical guitarists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNOa5Gjh2lc
Malmsteem is also a neo-classical player, also very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX8kD9ybFs
Paul Gilbert, playing some classical with his dumb fucking f hole guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu7UA-823Y
Steve Morse, current Deep Purple guitarist playing some classical.

These are all good classical pieces.

And also, Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Get that uncultured guitar shit out of earshot. True classical is played with the violin and other instruments of the age.

Except for that work by Gustav Holst at the end. Despite being too recent, it's OK.
Lego Company wrote:...At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior...


:belushi:
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Colette wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJKlOkrgt0
A lot of Randy Rhoad's guitar work is inspired by classics. He is actually one of the first neo-classical guitarists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNOa5Gjh2lc
Malmsteem is also a neo-classical player, also very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX8kD9ybFs
Paul Gilbert, playing some classical with his dumb fucking f hole guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu7UA-823Y
Steve Morse, current Deep Purple guitarist playing some classical.

These are all good classical pieces.

And also, Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Get that uncultured guitar shit out of earshot. True classical is played with the violin and other instruments of the age.

Except for that work by Gustav Holst at the end. Despite being too recent, it's OK.

A violin is a guitar missing 2 strings, frets, and has a different tuning and neck length. I guess the violin is uncultured too, since they're both stringed instruments, not to mention the violin has a shorter range of expression than a guitar considering it has 2 strings less and a shorter scale length. (although if you insist upon the violin, listen to Uli Jon Roth, he uses a special gutiar with extra frets that can emulate the sounds of a violin better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5072S-hBg )

Also, the guitar is older than you probably think. The classical guitar was invented around 1600, Bach and Beethoven were both born after 1600. Also, "True Classical" is a really fucking dumb thing to say. While you can argue only old music can be classical, (and by that logic, heavy metal will one day be classical music) classical is actually related to music theory, which is how all music using physical instruments is made. (minus noise music) That doesn't mean anyone who uses music theory is making classical music, but some guitarists study classical music and use music theory to make music similar to classical music, which is where neo-classical comes from.

TL;DR: Classical music on a guitar is composed the same way classical music is composed on a piano or violin.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby 88mmofpain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:24 pm

classic sam getting upset over other people's tastes
Two men are joined as one in you:
One seems cold and hard,
One who achieves his goals.
Another is tender and kind,
He forgets not even the poorest.
He feels for the least of us.
User avatar
88mmofpain
Battlefield General
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm

88mmofpain wrote:classic sam getting upset over other people's tastes

I dunno, seemed more like Colette was getting upset
Colette wrote:Get that uncultured guitar shit out of earshot. True classical is played with the violin and other instruments of the age.

Who's alt is this? I'm gonna assume overwatch, because he's saying he's not overwatch.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby 88mmofpain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Colette didn't sound very upset, you take things too seriously and don't understand sarcasm.
Two men are joined as one in you:
One seems cold and hard,
One who achieves his goals.
Another is tender and kind,
He forgets not even the poorest.
He feels for the least of us.
User avatar
88mmofpain
Battlefield General
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Colette » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:...While you can argue only old music can be classical...

Correct. While I don't claim to be a classical music connoisseur, I have a friend who does, and he proclaims there is no classical music after Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring in 1913.
Lego Company wrote:...At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior...


:belushi:
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 pm

What about Carmina Burana, she is kind of a big deal, 1935.
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Colette wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:...While you can argue only old music can be classical...

Correct. While I don't claim to be a classical music connoisseur, I have a friend who does, and he proclaims there is no classical music after Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring in 1913.

Well by that logic, all music up to this point will be classical in the future. (Remember the episode of Futurama "A Fishful of Dollars"?)
Your friend obviously is looking at things in a very black and white manner. Classical, like mentioned earlier, is a way of writing music. There is no end to classical music, classical is a CLASSIC WAY OF WRITING, and does not mean ONLY MUSIC THAT IS OLD, if that makes any sense.
I also doubt you even listened to any of those guitarists. Heck, the Paul Gilbert one is literally note for note performances of the likes of Bach.
Image
Spoiler: show
my old sig
Image

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
User avatar
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
Location: planet express

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby 88mmofpain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Music is stupid, how can you define something with all the types of music out there? I don't classify music at this point unless I'm talking with other people, but everything I hear is labelled as either "shit I like to hear" or "shit I don't like to hear".
Two men are joined as one in you:
One seems cold and hard,
One who achieves his goals.
Another is tender and kind,
He forgets not even the poorest.
He feels for the least of us.
User avatar
88mmofpain
Battlefield General
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Hell

Re: Classical Music Thread

Postby Silent-sigfig » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm

This thread is shit
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
User avatar
Silent-sigfig
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Number one in USA

Next

Return to WTF is Trap Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest