Brikwards Planning

Look at all those prestiges

Moderator: Silverdream

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Brikwards Planning

Post by Silverdream » Sun May 04, 2014 3:59 pm

This is an idea I've been playing around with for a long time, and people on chat seem to be receptive of it. Right now the idea is kind of in it's infancy stages, so it needs a lot of ideas and feedback. Basically, the idea is to give awards to those who have achieved something great. The prizes would probably be paypal money, small lego sets and steam games. Banished seems like a popular option. Right now, here are the categories and the merits of each one. Keep in mind that I don't think we should have too many categories, as it's harder to get donated prizes for them.

Best Forum Battle - Measured on how great the pictures and effects were, the quality of writing and how entertaining it was. This category would include BrikwaRPGs and chat battles.

Best MOC - Measured on aesthetics, how ambitious it is and the quality of the MOC. This category would include things like vehicles, buildings and vignettes.

Best Soap Opera - Measured in storytelling quality, dialogue, entertainment value, effects, and pictures.

Best LDD creation - Measured in aesthetics and ambitiousness.

Best Battle - Measured in Gameplay, Photography, Violence, Writing, and Overall Appeal.

Best Army - Measured in aesthetics, inventiveness and creativity.

Best Picture - Measured in aesthetics and overall appeal. This one I'm on the fence about.

How it would work is that we would have a few nominations threads, and a poll taking votes. There would also be a group of five chosen judges (that changes each year) whose votes would equal 50% of the vote.

If the first brikwards was to be held this year, I think anything from past years should be applicable for nomination. The year after, I think that only things from that year should be nominated.

What are your guys opinions on this, and would you will be able to donate stuff for prizes? I'd be willing to buy something on steam.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Re: Brikwards Planning

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 pm

What better award is there than knowing you won?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon May 05, 2014 5:18 am

Who's gonna pay for all of that?
Overwatch_Elite wrote:What better award is there than knowing you won?
1/10. Got me to reply.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Post by Craigallot » Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 am

So the winners can be chosen from everything that happened that year, not just things you put forward as your 'entry'? What about entries that are already part of other contests?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 am

Silverdream wrote:Right now the idea is kind of in it's infancy stages, so it needs a lot of ideas and feedback.
All right, here's my initial feedback: "it's" is a contraction meaning "it is." The possessive of "it" is "its." If anyone else pointed this out I would ban them for not being Blitzen. This is because I enjoy casual hypocrisy.
Silverdream wrote:The prizes would probably be paypal money, small lego sets and steam games. Banished seems like a popular option.
Is Banished a Steam game, or are you suggesting we banish the winners? Because banishment as a reward really appeals to my sense of BrikWars forum logic.
Silverdream wrote:Right now, here are the categories and the merits of each one. Keep in mind that I don't think we should have too many categories, as it's harder to get donated prizes for them.
I wonder if set categories are the right way to go. I kind of like the Silvawards (no, seriously) for how they make up ad hoc categories on the spot, kind of like Almighty Bennies work.

What might be better is to get the prizes first, and then take nominations for what they should be awarded for, and to whom.

I have a bazillion extra copies of Steam games from my time in the video game industry. I also have a bazillion extra copies of Lego sets from my time in the Lego industry. So I wouldn't have any trouble scrapping together random prizes; the only trouble is getting people's personal info for sending them out, especially for underage recipients (since I assume Brikguy will be winning 90% of all prizes) or people who don't log into the forums very often.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am

I'm only really afraid that some completely totally awesome MOC from 9 months ago is going to be entirely forgotten about if you do it as an annual thing. Once every 3 months would be awesome, but I think once every whenever silva feels like it is probably what's going to work best.

This Strong Bad Email will teach you the merits of its vs. it's in only 30 seconds.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 pm

stubby wrote: Is Banished a Steam game, or are you suggesting we banish the winners? Because banishment as a reward really appeals to my sense of BrikWars forum logic.
Well Scratch and Vami said they'd do anything for Banished, so I wouldn't be surprised either way. It would be an interesting idea for a prize though. Everyone else gets games and lego, and the other person gets to pretend to be a sane and rational human being.
stubby wrote: I wonder if set categories are the right way to go. I kind of like the Silvawards (no, seriously) for how they make up ad hoc categories on the spot, kind of like Almighty Bennies work.

What might be better is to get the prizes first, and then take nominations for what they should be awarded for, and to whom.

I have a bazillion extra copies of Steam games from my time in the video game industry. I also have a bazillion extra copies of Lego sets from my time in the Lego industry. So I wouldn't have any trouble scrapping together random prizes; the only trouble is getting people's personal info for sending them out, especially for underage recipients (since I assume Brikguy will be winning 90% of all prizes) or people who don't log into the forums very often.
Random categories actually sounds like a good idea to me, especially because it means that I get to establish myself as Grand Dictator of the Silvawards Brikwards. Maybe I should just rename this the Grand Silvawards. This may also cause people to build as much high-quality stuff as possible in order to fit into a category. It also means that I can arbitrarily create categories for what deserves Brikwards.

I can throw in 20$ for prize(s).

Also on the topic of underaged people, I think Steam games and banishment are fitting for them, because that way you don't have to know all of their personal information.
Bragallot wrote:So the winners can be chosen from everything that happened that year, not just things you put forward as your 'entry'? What about entries that are already part of other contests?
If someone does something worthy of winning a Brikward, then they've done something worthy of being recognized. Winning other contests should serve to reinforce that fact.
Image lol j/k

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

I would drop best picture from the categories, as every other contains "photography" as criteria. In addition, it has the positive of making the awards less cluttered.

I would also drop "best LDD", because fuck LDD
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon May 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Silent-sigfig wrote:I would drop best picture from the categories, as every other contains "photography" as criteria. In addition, it has the positive of making the awards less cluttered.

I would also drop "best LDD", because fuck LDD
First point noted, but as the most skilled LDD builder on the forums, I have to disagree. LDD is an art, and it's very complex. Scythe and the rest of the second best builders are all fanatically devoted or have mental disabilities that help them.
Image lol j/k

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Silverdream wrote:Scythe and the rest of the second best builders are all fanatically devoted or have mental disabilities that help them.
:D

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Tue May 06, 2014 5:43 am

Silent-sigfig wrote:I would also drop "best LDD", because fuck LDD
I would like to tell you to drop off the face of the planet. Because fuck you.
Silverdream wrote:As the most skilled LDD builder on the forums, I have to disagree. LDD is an art, and it's very complex.
Wow, arrogant much? Would you like a arrogance hat to match with your coat and shoes? :troll:
Silverdream wrote:Scythe and the rest of the second best builders are all fanatically devoted or have mental disabilities that help them.
Actually, I have both...

Wait a cotton picking minute. :fist:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 am

The Shadowscythe wrote:Wow, arrogant much? Would you like a arrogance hat to match with your coat and shoes?
"Best Arrogance Hat"
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 am

The Shadowscythe wrote: Wow, arrogant much? Would you like a arrogance hat to match with your coat and shoes? :troll:
You mean like the one you always wear?
Image lol j/k

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote: cotton picking
Woah dude watch the racism we don't do that on this forum. But I'm white, so I suppose I shouldn't talk about things like this, as brother Bragallot has said.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Tue May 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Best LDD creation - Measured in aesthetics and ambitiousness.

Best Battle - Measured in Gameplay, Photography, Violence, Writing, and Overall Appeal.

Well, there's an incentive to finish my LDD battle.
And if finish programming my game anytime this year,I could donate a copy.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick