Portland, Oregon USA Looking to host BrikWars tournaments!

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

Nemo20k
Champion
Champion

Portland, Oregon USA Looking to host BrikWars tournaments!

Post by Nemo20k » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and new to BrikWars. Been a brik maniac all my life. I own part of a game store, and I am hoping to form a BrikWars group in Portland, Oregon. I'd like to organize tournaments, and even have some of my retail space devoted to briks.

If you have suggestions, please don't be shy. I'm sort-of taking this into my own hands, so there are no bad ideas!

Thanks,

Popchik
Hero

Post by Popchik » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:12 pm

That sounds like a great idea! the FBI deals with a person who partly owns a game store, and it would be awesome to have a brick-battle there. You might be able to use war game scenery instead of a Lego battlefield too.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone here from Portland, or even the state of Oregon. Regardless, that shouldn't stop you.

Talk to some friends and regular customers about Brikwars and gather interest. Once you start playing games, people will notice and things will REALLY take off!

The only thing I'd make sure to avoid though is to make absolutely SURE that if you sell bricks in your shop, that you in no way endorse any one particular brand (especially lego) over another, and basically anything else that Lego (I wouldn't worry about clone brands attempting to sue) might bitch about, what with the whole "massive bloody carnage" aspect.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Grrrr,.... only a 20 hour drive and ill be there,...... dang the lack of bullet trains on this continent!

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm from Portland! I'm just not there anymore. But that's where all the development and playtesting for the 1998 rules happened, I should ping the old crowd and see if any of them are up for it.

Nemo20k
Champion
Champion

Post by Nemo20k » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Wow. Thanks, everyone. The few people I spoke with at the store were really excited.

I was wondering about not endorsing lego over any other brands. I couldn't see why lego might object; they were making swords long before mega blox ever did!

Anyway, I plan to give away mega blox as prizes as well as lego. And we won't put either on store literature or advertizing.

Might have our first skirmish in December.

From there, I was looking at either battle tournaments, or a campaign.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Nemo20k wrote:I was wondering about not endorsing lego over any other brands. I couldn't see why lego might object; they were making swords long before mega blox ever did!
The reason is maybe not what you'd think. Lots of dishonest companies make shitty knockoff copies of the Lego brick, and studies show that as much as 40% of the toy consumer base doesn't realize there's a difference, or is at least confused about it. They unsuspectingly get the shitty bricks instead of the Lego they'd intended to, the bricks don't stick together, they toys don't work the way they're supposed to, and the kids and parents think that Lego's a shitty product and never want to buy it again.

Every time one of these shitty clone brands takes dishonest advantage of the goodwill that Lego's built up over the course of decades, kids that would have wanted to play with Lego are driven out of the construction brick market entirely. Knockoffs aren't just stealing sales from Lego, they're destroying future sales through their shitty product and dishonest marketing.

The reason that BrikWars makes such a point of clarifying that there's no Lego affiliation is that any time a product blurs the line between what is official Lego and what isn't, it becomes an example that can be used in a court exhibit that makes it easier for the knockoffs to win court cases against Lego, freeing them to screw unsuspecting customers over even further.

Mainly I tried to include multiple clone brands in the rulebook so it'd give me an excuse to write all of the above into the intro chapter, and give myself a greater audience for this particular opinion. I just haven't gotten around to the editing and revisions yet.

Nemo20k
Champion
Champion

Loki's Games announces their first BrikWars Tournament

Post by Nemo20k » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Loki's Games announces their first BrikWars Tournament in Portland, Oregon to be held on January 21, 2009 starting at 5pm.

All Players must pre-register, and must have an approved army list ready *before* Jan 21. We will be hosting army list workshops on Dec 10th, 2008 and Jan 7th, 2009 from 4pm until 8pm.

For our first tournament only:
Army lists are limited to 75 CP's, TL 3.
There will be no victory conditions, other than to wipe-out your opponent.
Rounds will last up to 1 hour each, with ten minutes between.
Prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd places, plus some give-aways.
Registration is limited to 8 slots.
Entry Fee is $5.
We are using the PDF version of BrikWars 2005 Chapters 1-6.

http://www.brikwars.com/downloads/BW2005.pdf

The following rules are also in effect, and supercede the BrikWars 2005 PDF version should they conflict:
BrikWars 2001 Chapter 2 - The Trooper's Arsenal
BrikWars 2001 Chapter 8 - Standard Combatants
BrikWars 2001 Chapter 9 - Alternate Species; Fnrd
BrikWars 2005.08 Chapter H - The Horse

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-brikwars.pdf
http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/h.htm

Please note the following chapters and supplements are not in effect for this tournament:
BrikWars 2005 Chapter 7 - Special Creations
BrikWars 2005 Chapter 8 - Squads
Supplement SP: Supernatural Powers
Last edited by Nemo20k on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:40 pm

When I grow up a little bit, enough to organize something like this, I will make a tournament here in Portugal too.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Don't forget to take pictures. You need to post them on here and tell us how it went.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

The Dreaded Chainsaw-face
BrikWars Legend

Portland Brikwars!

Post by The Dreaded Chainsaw-face » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:23 am

I am so down for some Portland BrikWars! Keep me posted, I'd love to play. If people are around we should make something happen.

Nemo20k
Champion
Champion

Bad News / Good News

Post by Nemo20k » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Ok, due to scheduling conflict in the short-term, the Loki's Games BrikWars tournament scheduled for January 21, 2009 has been postpwned until some time in March.

There will be Army Building workshops between now and then, either on Wednesday or Thursday evenings.

I will post dates and times as they become known.

I also have a few pix from a skirmish we did at an Army Building workshop. How can I share those?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Photobucket.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

bowdown111
God of BrikWars

Post by bowdown111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

YES! When is the next tournament? I live in Portland and I have a massive army so again... when is the next tournament?

Also, can you show pics of the last tournament?
Mega-Blocks are the bane of Legos. DESTROY ALL MEGA-BLOCKS. DESTROY ALL MEGA-BLOCKS.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

if using brickshelf remember to use the deep link or we'll not be able to see it till it goes public
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas