BW 2010: Testgame + Combining damage and Armored

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

MDT-Maikel
BrikWars Legend

Re: BW 2010: Testgame + Combining damage and Armored

Post by MDT-Maikel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 am

Nice stories, somehow I have to find the time to dig deeper into the rulebook. But building mocs is more fun at the moment.

Btw: Is there a pdf of the 2010 rules coming soon? It is way easier to read from paper for me.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:19 pm

stubby wrote:
WestNordOst wrote:So with this property, suddenly there are two notions of armored - armor and some kind of damage consumption. This is confusing.
I agree about this, especially just the fact that "Armor" and "Armored" are such similar terms. I'm open to suggestions for different names.
IVhorseman wrote:"plated" is another term I'm gonna toss out there.
I'd rather "plated" or "plating" as well...

After all, you are probably going to be using plates to build it right?
stubby wrote:
WestNordOst wrote:
  • Connect the damage consumption with the armor level. Could be like this:

Code: Select all

Armor level   Armor    Damage consumption (per shot)
    0             0        0
    ½             1d6      0
    1             1d6      1
    2             2d6      2
    3             3d6      3
    4             4d6      4
    5             5d6      5
    The better the armor, the harder to do damage with small weapons
I thought about something along these lines as well, but I'm trying to eliminate math and reduce die rolls wherever possible. It may be the better solution.
Eh... I don't know...

On the one hand, I do like this better then a plated knight being outright immune to most forms of damage...

On the other, my Briktoid Droids all have static Armor values instead of die, so I don't know how that'd work out...
stubby wrote:
WestNordOst wrote:something in-between would be that if it fails critically on the first shot, then one can just not continue to fire this turn but it doesn't become inoperative.
I like that as a middle ground, but it's hard to explain in-game. What would cause a gun to stop firing but still be usable when you fired again?
Easy, it jammed on the first shot, and he instead spent his action unjamming it.
IVhorseman wrote:Concerning Automatic Weapons:
I like the open-endedness of being able to fire as many or as few shots as you want, but it does slow down and tie up the game. To remedy this, the guy I play with most often have developed a sort of unspoken rule that minifigs may only fire single shots, three-round bursts, or simply shoot until the gun runs out of ammo. This speeds up our game, because we're not debating the pointless argument of "should I shoot 2 or 3 or 4 times this turn?" I do like a 1 meaning the gun's empty no matter what firing mode, since this happens all the time on the first shot with no consequence. I also think having rifles at 1d8 damage is a pretty good incentive for using those guns instead.
I like all of this.

Crit failure on any Use roll for an automatic weapon leaves it JAMMED, meaning it has to stop firing right then and there.
Though having both this AND the limit on shots fired might be a bit much...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:38 pm

I started just applying the auto penalty towards all shots fired, since automatic rifles were just way too good. So if you're firing three shots, it's -2 to all rolls, and you just roll em all at once instead of wasting time figuring out which penalties apply towards which shots.

That plus automatic jam on a critical fail seems to work pretty good.