"Leader" units

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: "Leader" units

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Why not treat a heroic sacrifice like a heroic weapon? Add another die to the roll, use whichever comes highest. Boom.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

"Leader" Stats

Every time a player has a hero use a feat to "summon reinforcements" or "motivate the troops", the player rolls a D6. The resulting number is the number of times the opposing player(s) may kick the original player in the nuts for attempting such a shitty feat. (No critical failures, unless the kicker(s) screw up. Critical successes still apply.)
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:41 pm

If there are multiple opposing players then they all get to kick d6 times.

Darthnox129
Officer

Post by Darthnox129 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I think the officer would be better off as being similarsimilar to the 2005 ed one that makes squad forming free, but I would add some cp and give it a minor buff effect, for example one officer could give a +1 bonus to skill, damage, move, or armor, and you could pick an effect each time he joins or forms a new squad. (Not when reforming a squad though, and you would have to wait one turn after disbanding a squad to form one, otherwise people would choose move buff, move up to an enemy, reform and pick skill buff, attack, reform and pick damage buff, then reform and pick armor before the turn ended. LOL for OPness)
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.

Yeah, I play Tau in 40k. What? Of course I have friends, why would you think I didn't?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am

Squad forming is going to always be free in bw2010. The Officer skill bonus is only going to apply to Actions that the Officer takes part in, and like everyone else, Officers only get one Action per turn, so there's a hard limit on how often you can use his bonus.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Change that +1 to skill rolls into +1 die size and you might have an idea.

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:19 am

IVhorseman wrote:Change that +1 to skill rolls into +1 die size and you might have an idea.
I like that, but will it apply to heroes? Heroes seem like they don't play by the rules and should not get a die size increase from the general.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:24 am

I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am

IVhorseman wrote:I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.
I like this. Heroes are the maverick cops who don't play by the rules and generals are always threatening to take their badges.

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:01 pm

stubby wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.
I like this. Heroes are the maverick cops who don't play by the rules and generals are always threatening to take their badges.
Sounds good.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:15 am

Time and time again has shown from experience that adding static values to skill rolls severely fucks up the way things work. +1 means that a rifle or pistol shot will hit 5/6 times it is fired, which is flat out unfun.

the critical thing is indeed true. Any minifig always has the choice to "underskill" and use a smaller die for this reason.

Darthnox129
Officer

Post by Darthnox129 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 am

stubby wrote:Squad forming is going to always be free in bw2010.
Sorry, didn't know this. In my homebrew squad rules, which are crappy (and not on the forums so don't look for them!) you need an officer to form a squad. I think those squads might be broken though, so I'm going to redo them when I have time.
stubby wrote:The Officer skill bonus is only going to apply to Actions that the Officer takes part in, and like everyone else, Officers only get one Action per turn, so there's a hard limit on how often you can use his bonus.
Oh, that's a little disappointing. But thanks for the info nonetheless!
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.

Yeah, I play Tau in 40k. What? Of course I have friends, why would you think I didn't?

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm

I feel like army-wide buffs in general tend to work out poorly.

Say there is a general giving +1 or +diesize to the whole army, and a player just stations him in the most defensible area he can find and walls it off to make sure he doesn't get killed. Now, in real life, he's not going to be inspiring anybody to do anything more awesome. He's just siting there in his armored box.

A better solution to buffs would be stuff like almighty bennies - rewarded for good behavior or showmanship or awesomeness, and possibly squad banners, which could give bonuses to everyone within X number of inches in the form of inspiration, but can also easily be stolen or destroyed. (giving negative buffs)

So, to make generals work in a more like.. game-play improving way, we'd need to think up some sort of way to make them have to lead from the front. So, to make troops "hold the line" and be better at defense, a general would actually have to be defending something. And then his presence in that structure would improve the defense of everybody in that structure. Or, if he wants to improve firing acuracy of artillery or something, then he'd have to actually be standing there next to that specific battery. That way; the general is actually involved in tactics in some way, as a general should be. Not just giving a passive buff to everthing just because he exists.

I would also say that there shouldn't be a negative given to the other army if he's killed. Because just not having him anymore can be a significant disadvantage (in some scenarios more than others). So he could be redshirted for just like a hero.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:37 pm

GENERAL STATS: move: 5" armor: 4 Skill: 1d8 Specialty: Chain of Command.

CHAIN OF COMMAND:

A general is only as good as as his communication equipment. Therefore, I propose that a general's abilities be tied into "Command Banners", as opposed to his own self. Command banners raise the dice size of all units within their radius by 1. They can be large radio towers, flags on poles, or bonfires for sending up smoke signals. They can be mobile or stationary, and an army can have as many as they want, as long as the general is controlling the largest one.

As with all things, size does matter. Not only must the general be operating the largest one(subordinates may operate it as well, as long as the general is nearby), but banner size also determines its effectiveness(and cost). Each 1" of banner size grants a 3" bonus radius.

If multiple banners are spread out over a battlefield, they can function as a chain. The banners only receive bonuses if they are within (size * 12)" of another banner which is within range of the largest banner( or a chain of banners, as long as they eventually link up to largest one).

No matter how many banners you have, you are limited to only a skill die size increase of 1. The general must be positioned at the largest one for any bonuses to take effect. The bonus effects do, however, stack with officers in Squads.(An officer-led squad of normal figs with banner has a skill of 1d10)

Destroying banners only removes their bonus radius, but it can break chains to other banners. Killing the general removes all bonuses.

NOTES:

I'm not sure how much banners should cost.

The larger the banner, the larger the target to destroy.

This gives players an incentive to attack the general fig, or the largest banner. While larger banners could have a higher armor level, they should be more vulnerable to component damage.

I think that i may add the idea that the die size bonus can only be used to increase one aspect per turn(Armor, Damage, Skill, speed).
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:26 am

Voin wrote:6. So if I have a Leader throw a regular minifig (4 CP) under the bus, I get +4 d6s to spread around my army that turn?
No, just a +4 bonus, no d6es. But I'm thinking of just changing this to a bonus equal to the victim's Skill die, and adding a note about minimum CP value to avoid cheesing. Base unit cannot be Half-Minded and must cost at least 4CP, or some such.
Voin wrote:7. Do only "inherent" abilities (i.e. Skill Die, Movement, Gunnery, Scouting, etc) count for determining Benny Conversion, or does their carried equipment (weapons, armor, etc) count as well?
Only inherent abilities, but issues like this are why I want to change to a skill die bonus instead of a CP cost.
Voin wrote:8. (More of a nomenclature issue than a question): We might wanna change the name of either this or the Officer's ability to avoid confusion.
It's funny, because this is the part of the rulebook I was working on earlier today, and I spent some time trying different terms. What I'm going with for now is Specialty:Leadership for Officers, and Specialty:Inspiration for Leaders, but I may still change that later.