Snipers

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Snipers

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:players should feel free to share their ideas.
I think this is the core idea that needs to remain true. Everyone can share their ideas yes, but if I (or anyone else) sees an idea that can be improved by a previous idea, they should share that too. Hell, even if someone thinks your idea is shitty they should be able to share that - that doesn't mean you need to listen to them.

I guess I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally take zero offense to people pointing out where my idea has been thought of before, or at least elements of it. Even if it's a worse idea. I wish I didn't have to censor myself and completely nitpick apart some truly tasteless rules (read: sam, collette, etc.), but it's neither worth my effort, nor constructive to the free flow of ideas. Boy could they be improved with a bit of criticism, though.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Ok, fair enough. I did say that a tad too forcefully. I totally agree. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed. Pointing to previous ideas to supplement is totally fine. I suppose I meant when players come up against "the wall." I have seen it before where it seems like previous material is constantly being pointed out and hailed as the be all and end all. I've seen a fair few newbies over the years get really frustrated with being constantly dismissed like that and that's all I meant. We should be saying, "ok, and..." and "that's good but have you also considered...," not "No, been done, fuck off." That's completely putting aside the discussion about what kind of pussy you are if you run crying from the forum when someone is mean to you, though. But I think we're on the same page.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 am

We are. This is page 3. Nobody else is here (yet!).

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 am

Mind. Blown.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Here is what I use for snipers in my Sci-Fi force. Pretty simple. Guy with slightly beefier stats than a minifig. I treat the rifle as a size 2 gun with a bipod (read: turret) and a scope after IVhorseman's design (+d6" when aiming). Since I'm operating on a commando-sniper-type model, I give them that Recon ability, essentially hiding anywhere on the field they want after the first turn. A little munchkiny toward getting around the weight restrictions of the gun, but it seems to work and has never been an overpowered ability in any of our games.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm

I completely agree with what quantumsurfer is saying but remember that this forum as a whole isn't a very kid/newb friendly place to begin with.
IVhorseman wrote:I wish I didn't have to censor myself and completely nitpick apart some truly tasteless rules (read: sam, collette, etc.), but it's neither worth my effort, nor constructive to the free flow of ideas. Boy could they be improved with a bit of criticism, though.
:godwin:
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Might as well point out my sniper stats. They're not as much snipers as much as mobile artillery.

Sniper Cannon:
Use: 5
Range: 15"
Damage: 3d6
Special: Can only be used by a basic minifig.

I limited them with the special because that way they're not OP. With a squad of five it's likely one or two will get to shoot.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd just change it to a size 3 gun and be done with it if I were you. That way, you'd need a team of three just to carry it around and set it up!

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Less payoff though. With these guys I might have a once in a lifetime roll where they are able to unleash a long range death attack.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

BrickSyd
Cannon Fodder

Post by BrickSyd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm currently trying to catch up with some of the stuff I missed so to those who would say that I am a bit late on this discussion, I would respond that
:necro:

My personal rules for snipers comes from the following considerations:
6- When I brikwars, I try to keep things as simple as they can be.
7- When I used a .308 caliber for the first time and realized that you can't do much sniping without a scope.
From this:
Brikwars 2010 wrote:If a target is Stationary, or if an attacker holds still to Aim more carefully, the attack will be more likely to hit, receiving +1 bonuses to Skill in either case.
I extrapolated that if a minifig stands still AND uses its gun's scope, it will get a +2 bonus (instead of +1 for just standing still). If the minifig is using a sniper gun (which should be easy to recognize: big scope, elongated cannon,...), it receives a +3 bonus.

I've never used tripods but I would follow the same idea:
Stand still (+1) allows you to use a tripod (+1) and/or a scope (+1) with an additionnal +1 when using a sniper gun (or +1d6 if your score is +4).

The bonus are applied on both skill and damage and are subject to out of range modifiers, meaning that your sniper can technically fire at a minifig that is 14 inches away without penalty. The catch is that you must be at a distance equal or greater to your bonus from your target to be able to snipe.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am

BrickSyd wrote:6- When I brikwars, I try to keep things as simple as they can be.
Me too, but for me that means eliminating rolls rather than making more modifiers. So one way or another the "official" sniper is going to be about setting up shots that are Automatic Hits. Most likely: if the sniper is in total concealment and doesn't move, then he can hit any target of any size at any distance that he can see from his position. (Out of Range penalties for Damage still apply.) I may or may not keep the "may not Snipe within 5" of his own or any other Sniper's previous Sniping position, or enemy unit."

I love Rev. Sylvanus's "Recon" idea and may steal it, changing "any opponent's first turn" to just "any opponent's turn."
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:28 pm

I think the cone of fire could work here too. If a sniper is aiming down his sights, he's not going to be able to spin even 90 degrees to make a shot, but shots in the cone are most likely going to hit, so those should be automatic hits. This sounds like it might balance the advantage with a slight disadvantage.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 pm

stubby wrote:I may or may not keep the "may not Snipe within 5" of his own or any other Sniper's previous Sniping position, or enemy unit."
I'll tell ya what, that's something that's mighty hard to keep track of when you're actually playing. You might just want to change it to "may only snipe every other turn" or something along those lines instead. Campers are lame, but there are plenty of ways to deal with them.

I'm also a proponent of the "flip a coin for instant headshot" idea.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:01 pm

A simpler way to do my sharp shooter idea would be to do this:

Speciality: Sharp Shooter: When a sharp shooter makes a Measured Shot (stays still that turn and shoots, no movement), he gets to use 1d8 instead of 1d6. If he does not stay still that turn he uses the standard 1d6 to hit. Kinda like a Gunner, but not necessarily with a Mounted Weapon. No size restriction on weapon, so if he is part of a team of three with a real big gun, that's fine. Equally, he could use a pistol, like a wild west gunslinger... Imagine the scene - two cowboys facing off at high noon, one a sharp shooter / gunslinger, the other one not. The clock strikes noon and the two cowboys reach for their guns. Neither have moved in the turn. The sharp shooter / gunslinger rolls 1d8 against the other guy's 1d6...
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."