Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 pm

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:122. Can vehicles use the stealth skill?

I don't think the Scout's Stealth ability is what most people have in mind for "stealth vehicles". With the scout, they just hide better and sneak around when no one's looking.

For most popular fiction "stealth vehicles", perhaps a better descriptor would be "Cloaked" (as in "suddenly disappears from view"), and perhaps it would be better to buy it by the inch like we do for Armor Plating or Field Hazards.

Nah, Stealth is fine. If you've put a bunch of camouflage all over your tank and are sneaking it up to enemy lines, then it works exactly like Stealth. If you've just cloaked your Romulan Warbird, then you want to do it somewhere where the Enterprise doesn't notice it, otherwise they're tracking your ion signature or something the whole time.

Cloaking is tough to balance, mechanics-wise; it's very tricky not to make it OP. The Stealth rules are the best solution we've come up with so far, but I'm open to more ideas if you've got any.

Hmmm, good point.

stubby wrote:For energy shields, the dice just act as counters for how many levels of Shielded you can put up against any single attack. The 1d6es and 1d10s used to actually add 1d6 and 1d10, but in the current rules there's no reason for them to be any specific dice; they might as well be pebbles or something. Like I said, this section is due for a big overhaul.

So then there's no reason (other than thematic) to pay extra for specialized energy shielding, since general shielding takes care of everything?
Voin
Minifig

Postby stubby » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Voin wrote:130. So then there's no reason (other than thematic) to pay extra for specialized energy shielding, since general shielding takes care of everything?

130. A Specialized energy shield is twice as effective (Shielded x2) against the type of damage it's specialized against.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:01 pm

stubby wrote:Cloaking is tough to balance, mechanics-wise; it's very tricky not to make it OP. The Stealth rules are the best solution we've come up with so far, but I'm open to more ideas if you've got any.

That's why I wanted to try and Stealth a vehicle. I'd planned on sneaking an APC behind someone's army, then shooting them with mounted guns, running over a few squads, and disembarking the infantry. I eventually decided that doing that would be a little too likely to get me beaten, so I scrapped the idea. I have been thinking about using the stealth rules to hide units I really want to protect (like my drop pod guidance vehicle, should it prove worthwhile to use), but I suspect that the points spent to make a vehicles capable of using stealth will generally be better spent on more weapons, troops, and gear.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:52 pm

131. I know that creation cannot move while it is using the Divert All Power or Teamwork rules. Can it move after doing so? For example, if a light tank is ambushed by a bigger one, but manages to get behind cover, could it use Divert All Power to charge up all it's weapons, and then roll out of cover to engage the bigger tank, or would it have to stay in postion and wait for the larger tank to come after it?

132. Can a unit use Divert All Power to charge up all weapons, but instead of firing them the next turn, only use it's normal allotment of weapons, keeping the extra ones charged for later use?

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Voin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:
Voin wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:122. Can vehicles use the stealth skill?

I don't think the Scout's Stealth ability is what most people have in mind for "stealth vehicles". With the scout, they just hide better and sneak around when no one's looking.

Who says a tank can't sneak?

You haven't been around many operational tanks, I take it?

We've been spying on your tanks from inside our tanks for years. We're very sneaky.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:11 am

Gungnir wrote:We've been spying on your tanks from inside our tanks for years. We're very sneaky.

Who needs spies when Mother Russia proudly displays her martial might with magnificent military parades?
Voin
Minifig

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 am

133. If a grabber arm has a gun built into it does it get automatic hits with the gun after making the grab?
I've recently made what I call the "Mk I Kitsune-class mech" for my wife, and she requested that I install Iron-Man-like blasters in the "palms" of the claws:

Don't worry, the 9-tails weapons rack in the back rotates, so that none of the weapons hit it in the back.
Voin
Minifig

Postby stubby » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:131. I know that creation cannot move while it is using the Divert All Power or Teamwork rules. Can it move after doing so? For example, if a light tank is ambushed by a bigger one, but manages to get behind cover, could it use Divert All Power to charge up all it's weapons, and then roll out of cover to engage the bigger tank, or would it have to stay in postion and wait for the larger tank to come after it?

132. Can a unit use Divert All Power to charge up all weapons, but instead of firing them the next turn, only use it's normal allotment of weapons, keeping the extra ones charged for later use?

131, 132: No.

Voin wrote:133. If a grabber arm has a gun built into it does it get automatic hits with the gun after making the grab?

133. No, but that's a cool mech.

Grabbing is a little funny in that whatever or whomever you grabbed is still assumed to be struggling around while you've got a hold of them, so it's not clear that they wouldn't be wiggling out of the way of your palmblaster and you'd just end up blasting your own fingers off.

After some playtesting a couple weekends ago I need to add some limitations to the Grab rules for grabbing units much smaller than yourself. It'll probably be free Grabs on anyone half your Size or larger, and then some kind of Use roll on any unit smaller than that. (One of my mechs ended up taken out by a single munchfig. I should post photos later.)
stubby

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:43 pm

stubby wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:131. I know that creation cannot move while it is using the Divert All Power or Teamwork rules. Can it move after doing so? For example, if a light tank is ambushed by a bigger one, but manages to get behind cover, could it use Divert All Power to charge up all it's weapons, and then roll out of cover to engage the bigger tank, or would it have to stay in postion and wait for the larger tank to come after it?

131, 132: No.

134. So once a unit has spent a turn using Divert All Power, it's completely immobile on all subsequent turns until it fires?

Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:28 pm

It can move again if it wants, it just reverts back to normal weapon allotments.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby stubby » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:134. So once a unit has spent a turn using Divert All Power, it's completely immobile on all subsequent turns until it fires?

134. Sure it can move, but it loses Divert All Power and has to start over.
stubby

Postby Battlegrinder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:30 pm

stubby wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:134. So once a unit has spent a turn using Divert All Power, it's completely immobile on all subsequent turns until it fires?

134. Sure it can move, but it loses Divert All Power and has to start over.

135. Are there any rules against creating an anti-missile weapon system (something like a programmed half-mind slaved to a small gun)?

Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Any unit with an open action can attempt to shoot down a rocket as a response action, although since a rocket is moving quickly and is usually quite small, it's a difficult shot. A half-mind slaved to a gun meets this prerequisite.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Battlegrinder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:07 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Any unit with an open action can attempt to shoot down a rocket as a response action, although since a rocket is moving quickly and is usually quite small, it's a difficult shot. A half-mind slaved to a gun meets this prerequisite.

136. If the anti-missile system is mounted on the missiles target, would the penalty for targeting fast moving objects be negated like it is for minifigs with the charging rules?

Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Gungnir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 pm

137. If I stat a grappling arm as a launcher, could I throw my opponent's units into each other? And if so, how much damage would the unwilling payload take?
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook