Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Vason
Hero

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by Vason » Wed May 22, 2013 4:19 pm

For Orbital Bombardments, I've given one unit Supernatural Dice to make him like a spotter: d6s for range out from the spotter, 1d10 for a radius effect, more d6s for the damage dealt by the bombardment.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm

36. Lemme rephrase that. What I'd really like to know is commonly accepted distance for planet to orbit. Brikwars planes are recommended to fly at an altitude of 5". That's the equivalent of 5.53 meters for a minifig, but I doubt that's too relevant. So what would the average distance be for spacecraft? 10"? 20"? More?
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Effectively infinite.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am

If you use a simplified ratio of 1 meter : 1 Inch, a very low orbit over an earth-like world would be somewhere between 200,000-300,000 inches above your battlefield. So yeah, effectively infinite :P If you're not worried about a realistic scale, and just want your Orbital Bombers to be out of range to all but the biggest and baddest of guns, I'd think 30-40" would do the trick, it would take a 7" gun or 5" launcher to hit that high up.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am

Kirillyos wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:There'd normally be massive penalties for being out of range, but i'd waive them in favor of awesome.
Perhaps balanced with a massive bonus for aiming at a planet-sized target?
Sure, as long as you're not aiming for any specific part of the planet.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Thu May 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Vason wrote:So yeah, effectively infinite :P If you're not worried about a realistic scale, and just want your Orbital Bombers to be out of range to all but the biggest and baddest of guns, I'd think 30-40" would do the trick, it would take a 7" gun or 5" launcher to hit that high up.
Yes, thank you - this is what I was looking for.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Some questions about field hazards:

37. Can Mechaniks build them like anything else?

38. How would if be handled if one wanted to combine an effect in a weapon. For example, a "dirty bomb" that not only exploded, but left nasty bio-chem-radiological crud in the area of effect?

39. How would "quick-fade" hazards be handled? For example, and EMP that would temporarily disable vehicles,structures, and other electronics (including robots and high-tech weapons) but leave low-tech troops alone?

40. If one were to build an "explosive" that deploys a field hazard rather than blowing up (barrel of toxic goo), would the "1 element = 1" rules for explosives/rockets still apply? Would a minifig-held flask of oil turn into a 1" movement hazard, while 3 2x2 cylinders stacked together representing a container of nuclear waste turn into a 3" exposure hazard?

41. How would removing field hazards be handled (besides marching a penal squad through a minefield). I know Scouts have the ability to take control of mechanisms, but I'm talking more about things like mine removal or de-toxing an area. Maybe something like "fire extinguisher purchased as a minifig tool extinguishes [Skill Roll] inches of flame"?

42. The rulebook didn't seem to clear on this (or maybe I'm just missing something) - but the rules on Mechanisms seem to imply that they are hidden (especially in conjuncture with Concealed Hazards), though this seems to be in conflict with the earlier rules on "Field Hazards are never secret". Can anyone clear this up for me?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 24, 2013 2:32 pm

37. Sure, fuck it.

38. Pay the CP price for both, then as soon as the weapon goes off, the hazard comes into effect. Easy peasy.

39. I'm not sure how you'd handle it CP wise (which is why I shy away from CP). Still, I'd just have it in effect for a turn or two and then it's over. For an EMP strike, you could make it a skill penalty that functions like a curse: high tech units and units operating high-tech vehicles roll skill twice, and take the worst result.

40. Sure, but I wouldn't limit these in any way. If you want to have a huge explosion poop out a tiny hazard, or have a relatively harmless explosion leave a 10" wide field of toxic goop, just go for it.

41. It's a case-by-case basis. Fire extinguishers can put out fires, caltrops can be picked up one-by-one over a long period of time, and shovels can scoop up big piles of doody. Use your brain, and figure out how to handle it on the fly.

42. Field hazards are never secret because players know about them - that doesn't mean that minifigs don't. You can have field hazards that are totally invisible, so long as you and your opponent both agree that their minifigs don't know about them. Also that they're not going to completely avoid that area because they know the danger, even if their minifigs don't. If you're not charging headfirst into a minefield, I'm not sure why you're playing brikwars.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri May 24, 2013 8:41 pm

That makes sense.

A couple more questions:

43. When measuring a creation for the purpose of assigning stats, is it customary to round up or down?

44. Do explosives dropped like bombs (as in, out of a bomber plane), count against the inches of weaponry the vehicle gets to utilize that turn?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm

43. Whichever you prefer/want to spend CP for

44. Actually, no.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 am

IVhorseman wrote: 40. Sure, but I wouldn't limit these in any way. If you want to have a huge explosion poop out a tiny hazard, or have a relatively harmless explosion leave a 10" wide field of toxic goop, just go for it.
That's not quite what I meant - not an actual explosion, but an element or more that contains the hazard until it's deployed.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 am

Yeah, sure. Just do whatever, man.

EDIT: I guarantee this answers whatever other questions you may have.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sun May 26, 2013 2:47 pm

When in doubt, :fudge:

The Third World
Nice Dubs
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe.

Post by The Third World » Sun May 26, 2013 10:07 pm

So, my brain is blurring together after several hours with LDD, and I want a judgement call from the fan base? I have built this seriously bitchin bunker for a game of Brik Wars that I am going to run on the Forums here, but I honestly couldn't make sense of the fortification rules in the book so I am hoping someone can help me figure out about how many BP this would be worth?

Note: I don't need or want an exact value, it's more terrain than a real thing but I do want the game to be an approximately even match between the two sides so I would like to have a rough guess, please note that I will handle the issue of how many points worth of ordinance the tower's cannon has and so on. We are looking for this:
:fudge:
Not exactitude.
Brik World: see what it is like in The Third World. Brik Wars get's taken to strange new places, where there is more to war than just the fighting. Ask me about it some time...

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon May 27, 2013 1:29 am

The Third World wrote:I honestly couldn't make sense of the fortification rules in the book
For the sake of improving the rulebook, can you tell me where you got stuck?

(I know a couple of examples in that section will make a big difference, but I've been focused on other areas.)
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?