Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Voin wrote:6. Are Heavies reduced to Half-Speed when carrying their 2"+ weapons around?
Yes. When they're moving around, they're treated like any normal minifig.
Voin wrote:7. How exactly do Multitasking/Multidexterity interface with power limits? Obviously, I don't think it's meant to be an "infinite attacks per round" cheat, but rather to make thematically appropriate units like Hydras and General Grievous possible.
The power limit is unchanged. The actual General Grievous is large enough to handle four lightsabers at once. The minifig General Grievous (size 1") isn't, so he'd have to be made a Heavy or have to use a Heroic Feat or something.
Voin wrote:8. What happens if I give Multitasking/Multidexterity to a RoboTank that has no hands but several integrated weapons?
Multitasking and Multidexterity are getting combined when the current editing pass hits chapter 10 (currently in the middle of chapter 5). For a robo-tank, it'd mean that it could fire at multiple targets in the same turn rather than just one. It couldn't fire any weapon more than once or exceed its power limits, though.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:44 am

6. You don't have to run the whole distance. There'a a house-ruley kind of exception if you keep rolling bonus dice on top of bonus dice and then the final roll is a 1, but not everybody uses it.

7. I think you can purposely fail in a normal boring way, but critical fails are something special. You'd have to roll to try to critically fail.

SynchingShip
Champion
Champion

Post by SynchingShip » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:16 pm

6. So when y'all playtest stuff, do you typically post the details of the playtests (which, most of the time is gonna be an awful mess until you get the thing right), or just get the thing right and then post the completed results?

7. When fielding launcher-equipped infantry, how many "reloads" do people around here typically send them into combat with? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm over- or under- equipping mine.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm

SynchingShip wrote:6. So when y'all playtest stuff, do you typically post the details of the playtests (which, most of the time is gonna be an awful mess until you get the thing right), or just get the thing right and then post the completed results?
It's not usually an awful mess until you get it right. If everything goes smoothly then you need to do something to fuck it up some more.
SynchingShip wrote:7. When fielding launcher-equipped infantry, how many "reloads" do people around here typically send them into combat with? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm over- or under- equipping mine.
For infantry I usually do one reload or fewer, but that's just me. Any more than that, and he becomes a priority target and gets killed before he can fire off the extra reloads.

SynchingShip
Champion
Champion

Post by SynchingShip » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:06 pm

stubby wrote: It's not usually an awful mess until you get it right. If everything goes smoothly then you need to do something to fuck it up some more.
Sorry, I was just going off of my experience w/ playtesting stuff in RPGs.
stubby wrote: For infantry I usually do one reload or fewer, but that's just me. Any more than that, and he becomes a priority target and gets killed before he can fire off the extra reloads.
And then immediately looted for that sweet svagga of "loaded launcher", I presume? And then someone else immediately kills them for it, and so on...

Oh gosh, I was just reminded of the boots from "All's Quiet on the Western Front"...

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:10 am

Voin wrote:Is it okay for a unit to activate an Exposure Damage hazard field around itself and then run into a crowd of enemies? Like if a demon activated a Hellfire aura and smashed into a mob of slow-roasting peasants
Absolutely. Just remember that Hazard dice chew up a creation's Power limit pretty quickly.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:26 am

Voin wrote:6. What's the sight range on any given unit?
Infinite, but they can't see through things.
Voin wrote:7. Are there any official rules on attached weapons? If I want to add a bayonet to my rifle, do I buy it as a knife (hand weapon) or a spear (heavy weapon)?
There aren't official rules, but I would buy it as a spear.
Voin wrote:8. The recent update mentioned that even stable modern and futuristik Explosives can be set off prematurely if someone scores a critical on them. Say they do that to one missile in an ammo dump - are the others just damaged/destroyed as normal or does it cause a catastrophic cook-off? Or would the resulting explosion have to get a critical for the cook-off to happen?
Not just any criticals, only Overskill - you have to specifically crit on a Skill Roll to set off a stable explosive. The resulting explosions don't have Skill Rolls, so right now there's no way for one accidental detonation to set off other stable explosives.
Voin wrote:9. Is it legitimate for dropped explosives (mines) to be set with pressure/weight switches (like anti-personnel/anti-vehicle mines are IRL). So a minifig sapper covering his squad's escape from a tank column could set it to "explode if anything size 2" or bigger comes w/i the blast radius" or an armored minelayer could be pooping out mines with parameters set to "explode only when 1" creations enter blast radius".
This is fine. They'd be treated as Triggers (under Mechanisms), which are free.

You'd have to come up with fluff reasons for how the proximity sensors work. A simple pressure switch on a dropped mine isn't going to go off unless someone steps on it directly; you'd have to bury it to have its detection radius extent out to "w/i the blast radius." But that all depends on your particular fiction and tech level.

runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Post by runnybabbit223 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Voin wrote:6. What's the sight range on any given unit?
1" d'oh
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Voin wrote:So my question is, can a Mechanic use a Vehicle (Crane, Backhoe, Bulldozer, Constructo-Mech, etc) to extend his reach for the purposes of the above rules?
Sounds good to me, but what system do you use to determine how far the reach is extended?
Voin wrote:Creations that generate field hazards are immune to their own hazards, right? I don't need to worry about my Desolator melting his own balls off every time he irradiates the ground around him, do I?
Generally, yes. It's up to you to decide the size and shape of the Field you're creating, so you can either create a Field that doesn't include yourself (for instance if you're at the center of a fireball), or declare that the Field is generated from surfaces specifically set up to handle it (like electrified panels on the surface of a robot).
Voin wrote:So something I've never quite understood is why regular minifig can't use 2" ranged weapons w/o a turret (or Compensating).
Minifig weapons are Hand-Held Weapons, which are limited in specific ways (see the bottom of 8.1: Weapon Size). If you mount the weapon directly onto a minifig's body somehow, rather than carrying it in hand, then you could have a size 2" ranged weapon.
Voin wrote:I'm not quite clear on how Hazard Die limits work for owned Creations. Let's say I've got a recycler truck driven by Al "Blood n'" Gore that grabs 3 miscreants that it caught daring to not sort out their polystyrene and dumps them all at once into its "recycling" compartment to be turned into yummy, organic, gluten-free, fair-trade Soylent Green (that's how you know it's eco-friendly!). The recycling compartment is an on-board hazard w/ 2 hazard dice of grinding/dissolving damage. Does it inflict both dice on all 3 dudes, or do only 2 unlucky dudes end up as inventory at Trader Joe's?
It spends 2 dice on each dude until it runs out of Power. Each hazard die rolled spends 1 Power, so it depends on how large the truck is. Once the hazard burns through all the truck's power, it's dealt as much damage as it can until the next turn.
Voin wrote:Is the parabolic arc that a launched projectile (including explosives) traverses count against the launcher's range, or do we count that as if it had a flat trajectory?
Just a flat trajectory for measuring range.
Voin wrote:If you fire a spear (or other minifig weapon or tool) out of a Launcher, do you add a MOM if it 4+"?
Nope. Minifig weapons and tools don't have enough mass to get even a single MOM. Momentum = 1 MOM per 4" of straight-line movement up to Effective Size (9.5: Collisions), and the Size of minifig weapons and tools is 0".

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote: Sounds good to me, but what system do you use to determine how far the reach is extended?
Just... however far the physical model can reach. It's already dealing w/ what the Mechanik fig would have to be able to physically touch w/ his hands/tools, now he's touching bigger briks or ones further away w/ the arm of a crane.
That works for me. The reach of the mechanical arms, plus his Mechanik roll.
Voin wrote:Ah, so like a 2" minigun built into their armor, for example?
That would be fine.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:54 am

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:
Voin wrote:Ah, so like a 2" minigun built into their armor, for example?
That would be fine.
The minifig would still only be able to fire 2" worth of weapons though.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Jabberwocky
Champion
Champion

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:54 am

6. I was reading up on supernatural dice.... and got kinda confused.... do they last forever? Or do they cost CP every use? It seemed to me that the chapter would jump between the two... granted i was reading late at night.

7. I swore there was a rule on supressors long ago... may have been like the 2005 rules or something.... not that matters but would it just negate a responce action if its say the first attack?

8. Machine guns are new... and nice... do they count as select fire weapons? So i can shoot in a line or a cone? And how does one determine when the weapon system goes down and needs ''reloading''?

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:6. I was reading up on supernatural dice.... and got kinda confused.... do they last forever? Or do they cost CP every use? It seemed to me that the chapter would jump between the two... granted i was reading late at night.
You buy a SN die once and then you can use it once per turn.
Jabberwocky wrote:7. I swore there was a rule on supressors long ago... may have been like the 2005 rules or something.... not that matters but would it just negate a responce action if its say the first attack?
Like a silencer for firearms? I can't think of how they'd make a difference under the current ruleset; if you're making a Response Action to the sound of a gunshot then it's already too late to make a Response Action to it.
Jabberwocky wrote:8. Machine guns are new... and nice... do they count as select fire weapons? So i can shoot in a line or a cone?
That's right.
Jabberwocky wrote: And how does one determine when the weapon system goes down and needs ''reloading''?
  • 8.3: Automatic Weapons wrote:Arc Fire and Reloading
    When a MachineGun is used for Arc Fire, the player chooses the size of the Arc he's going to attempt (setting the overall Auto Penalty), and, starting from one end and moving to the other, rolls a separate Attack Roll for each target in order. However, after each roll, if the number on the Skill die (before applying bonuses or penalties) is smaller than the Auto Penalty, then the weapon has hit its limit. It fires that final shot and then becomes Inoperative. For instance, a MachineGun firing across three units of Arc would hit its limit if the player rolled a "1" or a "2" when firing at any of the targets.

Burst Fire and Reloading
    Unlike other Automatic Weapons, a MachineGun can also be used in Burst Fire, firing multiple shots at a single target. The player chooses the number of shots he's going to attempt in a Controlled Burst, and this determines the overall Auto Penalty; he receives a cumulative -1 for each shot in the Burst he plans to attempt. The player rolls a separate Attack Roll for each shot. For each roll, if the number on the Skill Die (before applying bonuses or penalties) is less than the Auto Penalty, then the MachineGun hits its limit. It fires that last shot and then becomes Inoperative.
Voin wrote:6. Can a Current Field the end of which is angled up be used to launch objects (and minifigs)? I'm imagining something like a super-science magnetic accelerator ramp or however you want to flavor it. You step (or drop something) on one end of the ramp/tube/whatever, and it goes zooming out the other end?
Sounds good to me.
Voin wrote:7. Can a Current Field be extended outward to "suck up/attract" an object or unit? Think tractor-beams/Loony-tunes magnets, big-ass vacuum cleaners.
Also sounds good, as long as the total size of the extended Field obeys all the usual power limits. Have you considered ImmortalTech black hole weapons?
Voin wrote:8. If the answer the the above 2 questions is a resounding "hell yes", can 2 Current Fields be linked together to suck something into one end, and then shoot it out the other? This would be bloody hilarious for jet engines and such. :D

runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Post by runnybabbit223 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Okay, this question is about as n00b as they get,
I've been using a "house rules" version of brikwars for some time now, but coming back to the regular brikwars system I've compleatly forgotten the use rating rules, and I can't be bothered to read the rules to find out.

Is the use rating what a minifig has to skill roll equal to, or higher than?
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm

yes
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.