Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

The Third World
Nice Dubs
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe.

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by The Third World » Mon May 27, 2013 6:29 am

It was when I had to multiply the size of the building by it's structure level, I couldn't figure out how to measure the stupid thing because for one thing it is 3D.

45; Do I use the longest part?
46; If so what is the longest part, frontage or height?
47; How do I judge the size accurately when I can't take a tape measure to it because it's digital?
48; Should I count all three dimensions or just one?
49; If all three does the tank cannon and sniper's turret on the roof count for height or not?
50; Is the roof tower considered a separate building?
51; If so does the upper turret count for it's height so that I can give it a high armor value to match the rest of the structure?

All these questions, and me with no answers, so I just gave up and asked for some help.
Brik World: see what it is like in The Third World. Brik Wars get's taken to strange new places, where there is more to war than just the fighting. Ask me about it some time...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon May 27, 2013 11:25 am

It's all one building, and you only measure the longest segment. Whichever one measurement you take is fine. 3 studs is fairly close to 1" in length. Surface elements like guns and doors are NOT considered part of the main structure.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am

If deciding which side to measure is really bothering you, just measure it diagonally.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

The Third World
Nice Dubs
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe.

Post by The Third World » Mon May 27, 2013 11:42 am

52; OK then, one more question: if there is a door in the middle of the wall does that 'break' the length measurement or do you just kind of ignore it and measure the length as if the door were not there? (As in measure to either side and add together?)
Brik World: see what it is like in The Third World. Brik Wars get's taken to strange new places, where there is more to war than just the fighting. Ask me about it some time...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 am

ignore it.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am

The Third World wrote:It was when I had to multiply the size of the building by it's structure level, I couldn't figure out how to measure the stupid thing because for one thing it is 3D.
I don't have much experience with LDD per se, but when I build 3D models in LeoCAD, I either make an "inch" block (2 bricks sandwitched between two plates) that I copy-paste for the length and then delete, or count up the studs/bricks on the longest dimension and then convert that to inches.

Last edited by Kirillyos on Wed May 29, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 am

53. Another question: passengers/cargo traveling in/on a vehicle/mount don't count against its push/carry capacity, do they?
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 am

Only when the other guy's doing it, and you're enough of an asshole to point it out.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Only when the other guy's doing it, and you're enough of an asshole to point it out.
So that's a... "no"? I assume that no matter how many clown-clones I stuff into my DeathDozer of Dimmy DOOM, only the stuff it's shoving around with the spiked blade on the front counts against encumbrance?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed May 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Not trying to be a dick here, but the official Brikwars rules are more of guidelines than actual rules. Some of the things you're asking are good questions, but others are things that you probably could figure out by yourself through a little testing. In my opinion, you should just playtest things you have questions about and then see how you like what you're doing. Then, if something doesn't feel right, try tweaking until it does. This allows you to focus on having fun rather than worrying if you are doing things right.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Zupponn wrote:Not trying to be a dick here, but the official Brikwars rules are more of guidelines than actual rules.
Yeah, I know. But there's nothing wrong with getting some discussion going on the forums. Just because someone posts a question doesn't obligate you to answer or even pay attention to the thread. Live and let live.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Honestly, they're questions that come up more than you'd think in actual games. Little tiny details that don't mean much to us, but suddenly in the middle of a game it's the deciding factor for whether or not your Hero is dead. If there was somewhere where it could be pointed out so everyone can see it, then yeah, it's worth responding to and discussing.

Not to say he isn't right of course. Nuances like that are best dealt with via beer.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Honestly, they're questions that come up more than you'd think in actual games. Little tiny details that don't mean much to us, but suddenly in the middle of a game it's the deciding factor for whether or not your Hero is dead. If there was somewhere where it could be pointed out so everyone can see it, then yeah, it's worth responding to and discussing.
Exactly! Thank you! That was one of the reasons I even (re)started this thread (besides being kinda new/rusty to the game - last time I had played was in my pre-military days, and the 2010 rules hadn't even been out yet). I'm not an Anorak by any means, but I would like to have a thorough understanding of how the game works (considering I'm the one hosting amongst my social circle). Also, since I like to use sneaky, creative tactics (anything less would be like slapping Sun Tzu in the face), I don't mind exploring some of the finer nuances that dwell at the frayed grey areas in the proverbial margins of the rules.
IVhorseman wrote:Nuances like that are best dealt with via beer.
I'll stick with the vodka, comrade - I'm Russian.

Cheers! :omnom:

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Kirillyos wrote:I would like to have a thorough understanding of how the game works (considering I'm the one hosting amongst my social circle). Also, since I like to use sneaky, creative tactics (anything less would be like slapping Sun Tzu in the face), I don't mind exploring some of the finer nuances that dwell at the frayed grey areas in the proverbial margins of the rules.
Just remember that a lot of the grey areas are that way for a reason. There's a couple rules (carrying capacities being one of them) that if you treated the same way every time, the game would turn out boneriffic. Sometimes, if someone really really wants to do something that's technically against the rules, just down beer vodka until it seems legit.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Just remember that a lot of the grey areas are that way for a reason. There's a couple rules (carrying capacities being one of them) that if you treated the same way every time, the game would turn out boneriffic. Sometimes, if someone really really wants to do something that's technically against the rules, just down beer vodka until it seems legit.
Yeah, I get what you mean. If they applied universally across the board, my Roman Signifer would be in bad shape...

Generally, if it's something that makes sense for the unit to have as standard issue (like this Roman Legionary's gladius sword, tower shield, and pilum javelin), then I don't really bother adding up encumbrance - I figure they're acclimated to humping that loadout around the battlefield by now.

I generally apply the carrying rules only to large objects outside of the character's typical gear.