Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:POP has no effect here. Explosion KnockBack is always 2" per 1d10 regardless.

109. So even big units get bonked around by Mk1 Explosives?

I think he was specifically referring to the horse vs kaboom situation. Being able to send tanks flying with mere grenades would be absurd, even by Brikwars standards.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:POP has no effect here. Explosion KnockBack is always 2" per 1d10 regardless.

109. So even big units get bonked around by Mk1 Explosives?

I think he was specifically referring to the horse vs kaboom situation. Being able to send tanks flying with mere grenades would be absurd, even by Brikwars standards.

Yeah, I can see a horse (or equivalent speeder bike/warg/jetski/riding crocogator/snowmobile/griffon/minicoper) being knocked off course by a hand grenade, but bigger units should take bigger explosives to knock off course.

Fun fact: a mere Mk. III Explosive (3 CP) is enough to engulf an nearly entire 32x32 stud baseplate in its 6" radius (1 foot diameter) if detonated in the center. Only those in the very corners could possibly escape being bathed in fire and concussive force.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Brikwars

IVhorseman wrote:68. Transforming is an action.

I'd be willing to debate that...

2010 Rulebook wrote:Although a minifig is limited to one major Action for the turn, there are many lesser actions that are too minor to count against this limit. Actions that require no particular attention, aiming, or dice rolls are considered to be Move Actions, and are treated as part of regular Movement rather than using up the minifig's Action for the turn. Depending on the amount of time and effort involved, Move Actions may use up some portion of the unit's Move inches, or reduce its Movement to Half Speed.

Very simple acts, like picking up or dropping regular equipment objects, holding conversations, or sneezing, don't slow a minifig down at all. More involved actions, such as picking up a heavy object (up to the size of a minifig or 2x4 brick), opening a door, or holstering a weapon, cost 1” of Move – taking that action took a small amount of time, and now the minifig has less time for moving.

In most popular fiction (from which BrikWars draws its clichés), a thing that (willingly) changes from one form to another doesn't pass or fail depending on skill and circumstances - it just does it. Transformers roll out, AnimeMon evolve, and that shy girl who didn't know she was beautiful lets her hair down.

IMHO, it seems a closer fit to a Move Action than a regular one.
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

110. So does Armor plating (if hit) use up a creation's inches of devices for the turn?

111. Can shields be extended to cover more than just the structure that generates them (think Death Star shield generator from Return of the Jedi).
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:21 am

110: no - they already have the penalty of more restricted (and expensive) movement.

111: probably?

Explosions should knock things around based off of their size. I could see a mk.I explosive moving up to a size 2 object, so maybe leave it to a cap of 2x(explosive size)? I'd still move applicable objects their max distance, for maximum awesome.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Voin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 am

112. What's the general consensus amongst the BrikWars community on flick-fire missiles?

113. If weapons are regarded as "Surface Elements", how are field guns that are just mounted on a bare-bones platforms, not on a bunker or vehicle, "powered"?

For example, my Civil War Gatling Gun (2" MachineGun) appears to be all Surface Elements and little to no "core structure". Do I just go off the size of the weapon, or off the size of the chassis it's mounted on (which, being about 1", I suppose would be legit).

114. How many SN dice are typically assigned to the average, garden-variety SuperNatural unit in BrikWars?
Voin
Officer

Postby stubby » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 am

Battlegrinder wrote:109. So even big units get bonked around by Mk1 Explosives?

Yes. But it's just a 2" Thrust. You're not moving the entire unit 2", you're just poking the part of it closest to the explosion. A 2" poke makes a big difference to a 2" unit, but not so much to a 9" unit.

Voin wrote:110. So does Armor plating (if hit) use up a creation's inches of devices for the turn?

Not usually, unless the creation is swinging it around like a Shield.

Voin wrote:111. Can shields be extended to cover more than just the structure that generates them (think Death Star shield generator from Return of the Jedi).

In theory. The Energy Shield rules still need a lot of work.

Voin wrote:112. What's the general consensus amongst the BrikWars community on flick-fire missiles?

They exist, and some vehicles have them? Not sure what you're asking. I've always just statted them as rockets.

Voin wrote:113. If weapons are regarded as "Surface Elements", how are field guns that are just mounted on a bare-bones platforms, not on a bunker or vehicle, "powered"?

Usually the platform is half the size of the gun, so I've never seen this turn into a problem. I guess it's possible; the gun would just have to use the Divert All Power rule in 8.6.

Voin wrote:114. How many SN dice are typically assigned to the average, garden-variety SuperNatural unit in BrikWars?

Between one and three, depending on the purpose of the unit.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Voin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:25 am

stubby wrote:They exist, and some vehicles have them? Not sure what you're asking. I've always just statted them as rockets.

It's just that some communities of LEGO fans have taken to hating on them for "being included in freaking everything". I personally don't mind 'em, but the placement on some sets does seem a bit shoehorned in.
Voin
Officer

Postby Battlegrinder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 am

Voin wrote: It's just that some communities of LEGO fans have taken to hating on them for "being included in freaking everything". I personally don't mind 'em, but the placement on some sets does seem a bit shoehorned in.

I generally don't like how ubiquitous they're becoming, but one the plus side, free missiles with every set! If they're really ugly, just replace them with something else.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Voin wrote: It's just that some communities of LEGO fans have taken to hating on them for "being included in freaking everything". I personally don't mind 'em, but the placement on some sets does seem a bit shoehorned in.

I generally don't like how ubiquitous they're becoming, but one the plus side, free missiles with every set! If they're really ugly, just replace them with something else.

At least the ones with a 1x1 cone for the warhead look like they're supposed to be missiles. I don't care much for the ones capped with a 1x1 round plate or round tile, however.
Voin
Officer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I like them because they're useful for things other than missiles. My mediks have needles made from flick-fire missiles.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Gungnir wrote:My mediks have needles made from flick-fire missiles.

Red Rover, Red Rover, the nurse says bend over!
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:21 pm

115. How are parachutes typically statted out? Is it just a minifig tool that negates falling damage?
Voin
Officer

Postby stubby » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Voin wrote:115. How are parachutes typically statted out? Is it just a minifig tool that negates falling damage?

115. Sounds good to me.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Voin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:115. How are parachutes typically statted out? Is it just a minifig tool that negates falling damage?

115. Sounds good to me.

And larger parachutes for larger creations? Like if, say, I wanted to air-drop a tank? I assume if a 1CP parachute can keep a 1" minifig from splattering, a 4" tank would take a 4CP parachute?
Voin
Officer

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook