Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:42 pm

stubby wrote:115. Sounds good to me.

Hmm, sounds like I might want to look into making some airborne troops. Screamin' Eagles!

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 pm

116. If troops are embarking/disembarking from an infantry transport or APC, do they have to spend movement walking from where they are inside the vehicle to the ramp, or can they just exit the vehicle and have the full use of their move?

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:22 pm

I usually make em use their move from inside the vehicle, but that's probably less fun than what you suggest.

Bigger tools just multiply normal tool stats by their size in inches. That's the simplest solution.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Voin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:39 pm

117. Anybody have any good ways of statting out Command vehicles, radars, or communications arrays? I was thinking maybe a radius Bless for units close to the Command Vehicle, and something like the Scout's Tracking ability for the radar, but I'd like to hear what others came up with.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 pm

I've struggled with this issue myself, but I simply can't think of a good game mechanic that would fit. Simply increasing skill rolls via blessing doesn't really make that much sense, although it's the closest I've seen so far. Adding to any other stat doesn't work either, although increased range COULD work. Either way, it's hard to find something that's both fun to use, AND "feels" like it's doing a radar effect.

For the most part, I think this kind of thing is best suited for objective-based play. "Disrupt enemy communications" is a pretty good mission for a team to have.
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I've struggled with this issue myself, but I simply can't think of a good game mechanic that would fit. Simply increasing skill rolls via blessing doesn't really make that much sense, although it's the closest I've seen so far. Adding to any other stat doesn't work either, although increased range COULD work. Either way, it's hard to find something that's both fun to use, AND "feels" like it's doing a radar effect.

For the most part, I think this kind of thing is best suited for objective-based play. "Disrupt enemy communications" is a pretty good mission for a team to have.

I could see a Command Vehicle having a "bless effect" due to increased morale of troops near it, inspiring gung-ho nationalistic pride, or simply more efficient and clear orders. Heck, you implemented a "bless effect" on your Missile Lock, so there are plenty of descriptors that could fit on a generic "bless effect".

At the very least a Command Vehicle could be a fancy conveyance for one's Officers.
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I agree with you, I just think it's boring is all.
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I agree with you, I just think it's boring is all.

On the other hand, making an effect too esoteric makes it hard to remember, which leads to pausing the game to look up obscure rules, which leads to anger around the game table, which leads to hate amongst the players, which leads to much suckitude.

Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Also that. I'd love to see Radar and similar things incorporated as a standard Brikwars mechanic, but I really just don't think it fits.
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 am

IVhorseman wrote:Also that. I'd love to see Radar and similar things incorporated as a standard Brikwars mechanic, but I really just don't think it fits.

We can make a new topic and trawl the forum for ideas. Somebody on here might come up with something good for that stuff.

Should that sort of thing go under "rulebook" or "bonus material"?
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 am

That sort of thing usually happens in threads just like this one.

If anyone has an idea to share with the class, poop it out over here!
IVhorseman

Postby stubby » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Voin wrote:On the other hand, making an effect too esoteric makes it hard to remember, which leads to pausing the game to look up obscure rules, which leads to anger around the game table, which leads to hate amongst the players, which leads to much suckitude.

Putting a generic bless on a command vehicle sounds pretty esoteric to me, unless it's supposed to represent an effect that a command vehicle might actually have. What tactical function are you trying to replicate here?
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Voin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm

IVhorseman wrote:ranged attacks can't be parried, under normal rules. I make an exception when it comes to beamswords and laser shots, in which case I indeed just use the shield/weapon's UR.

This is why you hunt lightsabre beamsword users with firearms slug-throwers and not blasters laser guns. A bullet can't be deflected by an energy blade, travels faster than a blaster bolt, and doesn't leave a laser light-show pointing back to your exact location. And yes, they have those in Star Wars.

Besides, in BrikWars stats, there's no appreciable difference between a crossbow, a revolver, and a blaster-pistol. Though I suppose the difference could be made relevant with different types of energy shields that block matter or energy blasts, or the players could settle on a specific tek for setting flavor.
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm

stubby wrote:Putting a generic bless on a command vehicle sounds pretty esoteric to me, unless it's supposed to represent an effect that a command vehicle might actually have. What tactical function are you trying to replicate here?

Voin wrote:I could see a Command Vehicle having a "bless effect" due to increased morale of troops near it, inspiring gung-ho nationalistic pride, or simply more efficient and clear orders.
Voin
Officer

Postby stubby » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Like I said, pretty esoteric. These aren't aren't actual tactical effects that you're using a game mechanic to simulate. You started with the game mechanic, and these are vague rationalizations that you "could see" justifying it.

So again: what are the specific real-world effects that a command vehicle has, that you want to simulate with a game mechanic?
stubby
forum janitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook