Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Current Heavy Infantry draft rules:
Heavy Infantry
Skill: 1d6
Move: 4"
Armor: 4

Specialty: Phalanx (+1CP)
Heavy Infantry specialize in coordinated use of Heavy Shields. If a Phalanx unit is in a Squad between two other Phalanx units, all with Heavy Shields pointed in the same direction, then they have formed a Shield Wall. For the Phalanx unit or units in the middle (but not the units on the ends!), all Damage from the other side of the Shield Wall is automatically Parried. This does not spend any of the unit's Actions or Counters; it happens automatically.

Even without a Shield Wall, if a Phalanx unit is in a Squad with at least one other Phalanx unit, and both have Shields or Heavy Shields, then they receive a +1 to all Parry rolls.

A Phalanx Squad cannot be forced to engage in a Melee through a Shield Wall. If they are forced to engage in Melee from an attack on one of their un-Shielded sides, or if they choose to drop the Shield Wall and engage in a Melee voluntarily, the Shield Wall is disrupted and any Phalanx benefits are canceled for as long as they are in Melee.

Specialty: March (+1CP)
If a Marching unit is in a Squad with at least one other Marching unit, they can March in formation, walking at normal speed and ignoring Movement penalties from Body Armor or Heavy Armor. Marching is walking only - units cannot jump, Sprint, or climb in the same turn as Marching, although they can still Bail if necessary. Marching does not cost an Action.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Voin wrote:Question: For a regular minifig (5" move) rocking both a two-handed weapon (-1" move), and heavy armor (Half-speed), how do we calculate it's move?

A. (5" - 1")/2 = 2"

or

B. (5"/2)-1= 1.5"

Basically, I wondering in which order move penalties should be applied.

In the last battle I played, my friend had a troop like that, and I let him take the more generous option, simply because half-inches were a pain in the as to keep track of on a battle grid.
I think you just answered your own question. When in doubt, favor the method that results in faster gameplay.

Voin wrote:Of course once he slaughtered enough of my guys to make a sea of corpses, it counted as rough terrain, which he couldn't move through (double half-movement penalties), so the joke's on him. :lol:
Ah, the Valhallan Stratagem. Classic.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Oh man, that march specialty is cool. It grants heavy armor mobility sure, but you have to be a big fat obvious tank to do it!

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Voin wrote:Question: For a regular minifig (5" move) rocking both a two-handed weapon (-1" move), and heavy armor (Half-speed), how do we calculate it's move?

A. (5" - 1")/2 = 2"

or

B. (5"/2)-1= 1.5"

Basically, I wondering in which order move penalties should be applied.
Move penalties affect the Move stat, not Movement. A minifig (5" Move) with a 2H Weapon (-1" Move) has 4" of Move.

Half Speed affects Movement, not the Move stat. Half Speed means that every inch of Movement costs 2" of Move.

A unit moving at Half Speed spends 4" of Move on 2" of Movement.

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am

4.1: Movement wrote:Half Speed
Actions that actively burden a minifig, such as wearing Heavy Armor, carrying or dragging a heavy object (up to the size of a minifig or 2x4 brick), or engaging in difficult movement requiring the use of both arms (swimming, crawling, climbing ropes, etc.) will reduce a minifig's Movement to Half Speed. For a minifig moving at Half Speed, all Movement costs twice the usual number of Move inches - that is to say, moving two physical inches across the battlefield costs four Move inches.
Maybe I'll add a little clarification box in the sidebar or something.

Legofighter
Officer

Post by Legofighter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:13 am

I have a question as well. Say one minifig fires at three enemy figs that are all really close next to each other. Now say said attacker rolls an incredible 13 for damage. Is that enough to kill all three or only 2? (or if you prefer, does killing a fig reduce the damage done by the figs' armor value or by the figs' armor value+1)?

EDIT: I tend to use the second option, but I've seen people using the first so that's why I'm asking
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 am

I'd say it kills them. You don't have to do a whole point of damage over their armor rating, you just have to beat it.
That 1/3 for each fig is enough to kill them. Or at least seriously wound them.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:34 am

See the Overkill section here.

It's enough damage, although you might not be able to hit all three with a regular gun unless they were in a line.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 pm

silasw wrote:...Although you might not be able to hit all three with a regular gun unless they were in a line.
I always assumed that minifigs fired a few shots when making a ranged attack. Otherwise, the way attacks on squads work wouldn't make sense.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Legofighter wrote:I have a question as well. Say one minifig fires at three enemy figs that are all really close next to each other. Now say said attacker rolls an incredible 13 for damage. Is that enough to kill all three or only 2? (or if you prefer, does killing a fig reduce the damage done by the figs' armor value or by the figs' armor value+1)?
If the enemy figs are all in the line of the attack (being close to each other doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is whether they're in the path of the damage), then this is almost exactly the example given in the Overkill rules.

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/7.htm#2
7.2: Taking Damage wrote:Image
12 points of Damage is enough to kill multiple minifigs if they happen to be standing in the line of fire.

12 Damage kills the first minifig. After overcoming his 4 Armor, 8 points of Overkill Damage remain.

8 Damage kills the second minifig. After overcoming his 4 Armor, 4 points of Overkill Damage remain.

4 Damage is enough to match the third minifig's Armor but not defeat it. The remaining minifigs survive.
Gungnir wrote:I always assumed that minifigs fired a few shots when making a ranged attack. Otherwise, the way attacks on squads work wouldn't make sense.
Nope. One shot, one target. How do squads not make sense? It's still one attack, one target (in the squad). If you're dividing a single attack between multiple squad members then you're doing it wrong.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 am

I might add that to the Horsemanship specialty, rather than making it a general ability.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:36 am

That's correct. The old Piloting rules were unnecessarily restrictive, so I gave them the axe. The Pilot's new specialty is stunt driving.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks! I missed that one.

Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:29 am

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.
Isn't that how riders already worked?
Nope. Normally you're either steering the horse or firing the rifle, not both.
Voin wrote:Would a centaur just be statted like a horse, but with a full mind, bringing the cost up to 10 CP?
That's right. It would go from a 1CP Half Mind to a 2CP Mind.
Voin wrote:How would buying armor work?
The Horse Armor stats are close enough; it's 2" Armor either way.
Voin wrote:Can the human half of a flying centaur (a pegacentaur?) wear armor without impeding flight?
Normally the rule is that flying creatures can't wear even partial armor, but I'm thinking about reviewing this rule because of the Phaleks.
Voin wrote:For a centaur to attack with both hand weapons and hooves, would I have to buy Multidexterity?
If it wants to attack with all of them in the same turn, then yes. Otherwise it can use any two of them in a single turn. (In CC, that is - he can still only make one Ranged Attack per turn, unless he gets Multitasking.)

How are those centaurs put together? Does that connection piece exist in real plastic? Because if so, I want some.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Voin wrote:Or if that seems like too much work, you can look into buying 3rd-party purpose-made centaur torsos from Brickforge.
Already got some, but I want that poseability from the neck hinge. Maybe I'll get one of those 3D-printer guys to help me out.
Voin wrote:On a tactical note, I find centaurs make for cost-efficient cavalry because they're 3 CP cheaper than a Horse (9CP) + Rider (4 CP) combination. I look forward to using them in future Brik battles.
True, but with the horse+rider you have the horse acting as a meat shield for the rider, who can hop off and keep attacking when the horse is killed.
Voin wrote:Although I just realized something: as SR 2 creatures, wouldn't centaurs also be able to field larger weapons than regular minifigs?
Yes, until they're wounded and brought back down to Effective Size 1", at which point they're stuck at minifig strength again.