Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:57 pm

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:133. If a grabber arm has a gun built into it does it get automatic hits with the gun after making the grab?

133. No, but that's a cool mech.


Thanks! The idea came to me after building the old Battle Droid Carrier and noticing how much that windscreen resembled a mechanized fox head. Foxes are one of my wife's favorite motifs, so I took it a step further and made it thematic to a mythological version: Fox -> Kitsune -> 9 tails -> back-mounted 9-weapon rack (and the weapons can all be switched around for a customized loadout).

Image

The main body was inspired by the excellent Ninjago line, but I plan on upgrading it (this version was basically proof-of-concept). Currently, the Kitsune weapon rack can only fire forward, but eventually I'll make the Mk. II have hinge-arm pieces to give it wider firing arcs (and make it look even more Japanese, since those things will resemble tentacles). It's just that hinges are a pain in the ass to work with in LeoCAD.

stubby wrote:Grabbing is a little funny in that whatever or whomever you grabbed is still assumed to be struggling around while you've got a hold of them, so it's not clear that they wouldn't be wiggling out of the way of your palmblaster and you'd just end up blasting your own fingers off.

After some playtesting a couple weekends ago I need to add some limitations to the Grab rules for grabbing units much smaller than yourself. It'll probably be free Grabs on anyone half your Size or larger, and then some kind of Use roll on any unit smaller than that. (One of my mechs ended up taken out by a single munchfig. I should post photos later.)


138. "munchfig"? Like the little goblin dudes from the Heroica games?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:135. Are there any rules against creating an anti-missile weapon system (something like a programmed half-mind slaved to a small gun)?

136. If the anti-missile system is mounted on the missiles target, would the penalty for targeting fast moving objects be negated like it is for minifigs with the charing rules?


Remind me to install shields on my missiles if ever we battle.
Speaking of which:

139. Energy shields on missiles is totally legit, right?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:136. If the anti-missile system is mounted on the missiles target, would the penalty for targeting fast moving objects be negated like it is for minifigs with the charging rules?


136. Actually, I think so! Good catch.

Gungnir wrote:137. If I stat a grappling arm as a launcher, could I throw my opponent's units into each other? And if so, how much damage would the unwilling payload take?


137. Yyyyes. Yes? Yes. Treat damage as a collision for a charge of whatever distance it is.

Voin wrote:139. Energy shields on missiles is totally legit, right?


139. Yes but a) that's assuredly a waste of CP and b) seriously, fuck that you're a dick if you do this. Shields may or may not even help contain the blast and lower the damage, so keep that in mind.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6072
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 pm

140. Is it legit to pilot a large vehicle from a smaller one docked to it? It's fairly common in sci-fi that the command deck of a starship or mech can jettison and serve as its own craft, and even numerous of LEGO sets are built this way.

Image

141. How are microgravity environments (e.g. for spacecraft boarding) handled? Is it simply a 3-dimentional slippery field?

142. How would a slow crushing action (say, from getting stepped on by an AT-AT) be handled? Would the foot need to be purchased as a weapon?

143. How about shoving someone's face into an airplane propeller or burning them with the thrust of a jetpack?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
Voin wrote:139. Energy shields on missiles is totally legit, right?


139. Yes but a) that's assuredly a waste of CP and b) seriously, fuck that you're a dick if you do this. Shields may or may not even help contain the blast and lower the damage, so keep that in mind.


I only asked because I had read in the Wookiepedia entry on missiles that some of the ones in the Star Wars 'verse had shields.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Voin wrote:I only asked because I had read in the Wookiepedia entry on missiles that some of the ones in the Star Wars 'verse had shields.


Some of them also had 90 megaton yields (which, on the tabletop, is approximately all the dice :all: ), which might be excessive even by Brikwars standards.
Image
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Voin wrote:I only asked because I had read in the Wookiepedia entry on missiles that some of the ones in the Star Wars 'verse had shields.


Some of them also had 90 megaton yields (which, on the tabletop, is approximately all the dice :all: ), which might be excessive even by Brikwars standards.


Granted, some of the things in BrikWars are scaled down a bit.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 pm

144. After being infected with contagion/poison, does a minfig roll agaisnt 1d4 every turn umtil they succumb, or only the turn immediately after the initial poison/contagion attack?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Voin wrote:Thanks! The idea came to me after building the old Battle Droid Carrier and noticing how much that windscreen resembled a mechanized fox head. Foxes are one of my wife's favorite motifs, so I took it a step further and made it thematic to a mythological version


Image
I've got just the pilot for it.

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:(One of my mechs ended up taken out by a single munchfig. I should post photos later.)

138. "munchfig"? Like the little goblin dudes from the Heroica games?

138. Yes. They're covered in 10.4 under Swarms. It was a humiliating defeat.

IVhorseman wrote:
Voin wrote:139. Energy shields on missiles is totally legit, right?

139. Yes but a) that's assuredly a waste of CP and b) seriously, fuck that you're a dick if you do this. Shields may or may not even help contain the blast and lower the damage, so keep that in mind.

They had a pretty good energy-shielded missile at the end of Kingdom Come, if I recall right. I don't think you'd ever stick shields on general-purpose missiles, but I can think of special cases that you'd want to make missile-defense-proof.

Voin wrote:140. Is it legit to pilot a large vehicle from a smaller one docked to it?

Voin wrote:141. How are microgravity environments (e.g. for spacecraft boarding) handled? Is it simply a 3-dimentional slippery field?

140, 141: Yes and yes.

Voin wrote:142. How would a slow crushing action (say, from getting stepped on by an AT-AT) be handled? Would the foot need to be purchased as a weapon?

142. You can do Trampling Damage to any target that's smaller than you and isn't able to avoid getting run over. (Mobile targets usually have to be Disrupted unless they don't feel like avoiding the Trample for some reason.) The damage is your Size minus their Size. So, a 5" tank would do 3 Damage when running over a 2" Horse. Trampling usually isn't enough to kill a target by itself, but it can be treated as Grinding Damage if you want to slowly crush its life away.

Voin wrote:143. How about shoving someone's face into an airplane propeller or burning them with the thrust of a jetpack?

143. These are good opportunities for What I Say Goes rulings. But in these cases, the easiest thing would be to treat the propeller as a Melee Weapon of the size of the propeller, and the jetpack as a FlameThrower of the size of the jetpack.

Voin wrote:144. After being infected with contagion/poison, does a minfig roll agaisnt 1d4 every turn umtil they succumb, or only the turn immediately after the initial poison/contagion attack?

144. Poison works like Fire. Fire keeps doing damage as long as you're on Fire, and Poison keeps doing damage as long as you're poisoned. Every time you roll a 4, the Fire/Poison gets bigger; every time you roll a 1, it gets smaller. A minifig is only Size 1, so it'll never get bigger than Poison/Fire x1 in any case. If the Poison/Fire shrinks to zero, then the effect is over.
Image
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4331
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 am

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:(One of my mechs ended up taken out by a single munchfig. I should post photos later.)

138. "munchfig"? Like the little goblin dudes from the Heroica games?

138. Yes. They're covered in 10.4 under Swarms. It was a humiliating defeat.


You'd be surprised how many times in history some "impregnable" battle behemoth (like the Bismark or the city of Babylon) got taken down by a seemingly insignificant attack.

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:143. How about shoving someone's face into an airplane propeller or burning them with the thrust of a jetpack?

143. These are good opportunities for What I Say Goes rulings. But in these cases, the easiest thing would be to treat the propeller as a Melee Weapon of the size of the propeller, and the jetpack as a FlameThrower of the size of the jetpack.


145. As the circumstances come up, without having to buy them as separate weapons first?


stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:144. After being infected with contagion/poison, does a minfig roll agaisnt 1d4 every turn until they succumb, or only the turn immediately after the initial poison/contagion attack?

144. Poison works like Fire. Fire keeps doing damage as long as you're on Fire, and Poison keeps doing damage as long as you're poisoned. Every time you roll a 4, the Fire/Poison gets bigger; every time you roll a 1, it gets smaller. A minifig is only Size 1, so it'll never get bigger than Poison/Fire x1 in any case. If the Poison/Fire shrinks to zero, then the effect is over.


146.Can a Medik do anything special to cure poison/disease?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Voin wrote:You'd be surprised how many times in history some "impregnable" battle behemoth (like the Bismark or the city of Babylon) got taken down by a seemingly insignificant attack.


I don't think "an aircraft carrier, three battleships, three cruisers, and six destroyers" counts as an insignificant attack. The Swordfish may have set up that situation, but that's not the same as saying nine biplanes singlehandedly sank a 40,000 ton battleship.
Image
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Voin wrote:You'd be surprised how many times in history some "impregnable" battle behemoth (like the Bismark or the city of Babylon) got taken down by a seemingly insignificant attack.


I don't think "an aircraft carrier, three battleships, three cruisers, and six destroyers" counts as an insignificant attack. The Swordfish may have set up that situation, but that's not the same as saying nine biplanes singlehandedly sank a 40,000 ton battleship.


I had not taken a look at that battle yet, but it sounds fun.

147. Does regular Armor protect against environment damage (like Exposure Hazards), or does that take specialized armor?
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:38 pm

145: If you followed that logic, you'd have to pay for every single little thing that could potentially be used as a weapon, as a weapon. Charging flamethrower prices on top of every rocket engine and melee weapon prices for every toenail on a mech is excessive, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be stat out to that when the situation arises. If you're really going to be a stickler about it, treat it as a tool or a random object.

146: I don't see why not. Roll the medik skill vs. the poison roll, and cure it if successful.

147: Armor protects against one die of each size in any given attack. So, if an exposure would deal dice in damage, the armor prevents one of them. Disregard this where it makes sense - a knight's suit of armor might not protect against toxic gasses and the like in the way a spaceman's would.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6072
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Gungnir » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:25 am

IVhorseman wrote:145: If you followed that logic, you'd have to pay for every single little thing that could potentially be used as a weapon, as a weapon. Charging flamethrower prices on top of every rocket engine and melee weapon prices for every toenail on a mech is excessive, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be stat out to that when the situation arises. If you're really going to be a stickler about it, treat it as a tool or a random object.

Why not just use trample damage? If it's caused by a creation's propulsion, that would make the most sense to me mechanically.
Then again, I'm an idiot, so what do I know?
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Dimmy
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 am

Battlegrinder wrote:
Voin wrote:I only asked because I had read in the Wookiepedia entry on missiles that some of the ones in the Star Wars 'verse had shields.


Some of them also had 90 megaton yields (which, on the tabletop, is approximately all the dice :all: ), which might be excessive even by Brikwars standards.


That's... almost twice the yield of the largest bomb ever built in real-life, the mighty Tsar Bobma.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest