Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Gungnir » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:07 am

That much force is needed to get past the shields and armor of some capital ships.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:34 am

Gungnir wrote:That much force is needed to get past the shields and armor of some capital ships.

Not that it always works, mind you.
Voin
Minifig

Postby Voin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 pm

148. Since there was a lull on the forum for a while, I was gone for a bit - what happened to the site since then? Everything is in funky colors and a lot of people's custom avatars (including mine) are gone.
Voin
Minifig

Postby Tzan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

The Shadowscythe gave us a new years day present.
Feel free to reset your avatar.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Voin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Tzan wrote:The Shadowscythe gave us a new years day present.
Feel free to reset your avatar.

Ahh, okay, cool.
Voin
Minifig

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Hey I have a stupid n00b question:

What happens when I've got a squad full of heavily armored dudes? If I have 4 guys in heavy armor, does that mean that the whole squad of 10 gets to ignore 4 dice worth of damage? I can tell that static damage of +1s from all the rifles would add up to the point where an armored guy would die (and if you chose to include armor resistance in the damage roll then you'd be forced to target an armored dude), but it feels like there's something super broken that I'm forgetting about that could be abused.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby stubby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:05 am

IVhorseman wrote:Hey I have a stupid n00b question:

What happens when I've got a squad full of heavily armored dudes? If I have 4 guys in heavy armor, does that mean that the whole squad of 10 gets to ignore 4 dice worth of damage? I can tell that static damage of +1s from all the rifles would add up to the point where an armored guy would die (and if you chose to include armor resistance in the damage roll then you'd be forced to target an armored dude), but it feels like there's something super broken that I'm forgetting about that could be abused.

I'm not sure I understand the question here. Normally you're applying damage to a squad one dude at a time, although you get to pick which order the dudes get hit.

If the first dude in line has armor, then he gets to ignore a die of whatever damage hits him personally.

If the next dude in line has armor, then he gets to do the same.

Now if you're talking about some type of damage that affects the whole squad at once, like an explosion, then the full explosion damage hits each squaddie in its radius. The ones wearing armor take that amount of damage minus one die.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Whether or not you understood it, that clears it up.

Let's say that there's a squad with 4 armored figs and 16 regular figs. The squad gets targeted with a weapon that dishes out 4d6 damage total. My fear was that since the squad had 4 suits of armor, it would negate all of the damage, but thankfully that's not the case.
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:44 am

150. Does an entity need to have a mind of its own in order to be given and use an ability?

Examples:

A. A targeting-assist computer (1 CP Gunnery Ability). It does not think for itself, all it does is sit there at the gunner's station, relay telemetry from the target, adjust the gun, and do other things that give the gunner that sweet +1 Gunnery Support bonus.

B. A security system (1 CP Tracking Ability). Again, does not think for itself, all it does is sit there and detect intruders, alerting the owners of the system.

So... no minds needed, or half-minds?
Voin
Minifig

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:10 pm

It's still a step above being an inanimate object, so I'd go with half-minds.
IVhorseman

Postby stubby » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:53 pm

150. Gunnery Support uses an Action, so a targeting computer would need at least a Half-Mind to have an Action to spend. Or you could house-rule it as a piece of equipment; the minifig uses his own Action to lock the targeting computer on to a target, and can use his Action on the following turn to fire the weapon.

Tracking has a passive ability (the ability to see Stealthed units) and an Active ability (the ability to Mark targets). If it's just a simple Mechanism, then it can detect intrusions and raise some kind of alarm. It would need a Half-Mind to have an Action to spend to Mark them.
stubby

Postby Vason » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 pm

151:
stubby wrote: Now if you're talking about some type of damage that affects the whole squad at once, like an explosion, then the full explosion damage hits each squaddie in its radius. The ones wearing armor take that amount of damage minus one die.

How does one choose which die to remove from the explosion damage pool? Choose the highest die and remove it? Lowest? Reroll the damage total, less one die?

152: Similar question, with Overkill: say I fire my size 3 gun at a line of minifigs, the first one unshielded, the second one shielded, the rest behind unshielded, and roll 6, 5, 4, 4(bonus). The total is 19, which kills the first, but how do I handle the second? Remove the highest die from the roll, subtract 5 due to the first minifig, giving a total of 8? Remove the lowest, subtract 5, get 10, and kill the one behind it as well?
Vason
Champion

Postby stubby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:49 am

shit, these are good questions
stubby

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 am

Vason wrote:152: Similar question, with Overkill: say I fire my size 3 gun at a line of minifigs, the first one unshielded, the second one shielded, the rest behind unshielded, and roll 6, 5, 4, 4(bonus). The total is 19, which kills the first, but how do I handle the second? Remove the highest die from the roll, subtract 5 due to the first minifig, giving a total of 8? Remove the lowest, subtract 5, get 10, and kill the one behind it as well?

This is merely my interpretation of the rules, but my gut says--in terms of sequences like this--treat a complicated process like this from highest to lowest. With a spread of 6 5 4 4, 19 damage overkills by 14 damage, but we'll go through the process die-by-die for the sake of the guy with the shield. I would assign minifig one (unshielded) the highest damage die (6) first. This overkills the fig by +1, so I'll apply that as a bonus to the next die. Fig number two now faces a spread of 5 4 4 +1. For his shield, I'll remove the highest die roll (5), meaning the spread he now faces is 4 4 +1 (or 9 damage). Shielded guy bites the dust with overkill damage now at 4, not enough to go through anyone else. This also assumes everyone is within the weapon's range. If the damage is proceeding beyond the range of the weapon, you'll also have to start taking account of -1 damage per inch.

Like I said, just my interpretation of things or how I would :diy: myself.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby Lord Mercat » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

How does one choose which die to remove from the explosion damage pool? Choose the highest die and remove it? Lowest? Reroll the damage total, less one die?

From what I've always understood, you would reroll the damage total, minus one die (usually I roll damage separately for each unit anyway, unless its a huge battle). If you roll the die first, even it it were to get removed, you then run into the problem of which die to remove- not to mention, what if you rolled a critical? That adds an extra die that may not even have been there at all had you just removed the die to start with. So if its a size one explosion, armored guys take no damage. At least that's how I usually play.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.

Marriages Saved: 1
Lord Mercat
Minifig

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook