Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Vason » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Lord Mercat wrote:From what I've always understood, you would reroll the damage total, minus one die (usually I roll damage separately for each unit anyway, unless its a huge battle). If you roll the die first, even it it were to get removed, you then run into the problem of which die to remove- not to mention, what if you rolled a critical? That adds an extra die that may not even have been there at all had you just removed the die to start with. So if its a size one explosion, armored guys take no damage.

This has been an issue with my group, a simple solution would be to say that Shielded removes one die of each size from the total dice roll. This would allow for critical damage rolls to still happen, and make my earlier questions a little simpler to resolve.

In the interest of simplicity, fewer dice rolls, and maximum destruction :studgod: , I would say in both of my earlier situations to roll the damage only once per attack, and to remove the lowest die.
Vason
Champion

Postby stubby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:29 am

There's two separate problems here: 6, the attack that hits a bunch of people at once (like an Explosion), when some of them are Shielded and some of them aren't, and 7, the attack that hits a bunch of people one after another (like Overkill), when some of them are Shielded and some of them aren't.

For #6 there, the ideal thing would be to recognize that your explosion is going to hit some Shielded dudes, and roll one die separately as the die that doesn't affect the Shielded guys. If that die gets Bonus Dice, too bad! Those don't affect the Shielded guys either.

#7 is trickier, since you don't always know when Overkill is about to happen and you've got to play it by ear. I want to say, once you make a big roll that's going to have Overkill, save all those die rolls! Each time the attack hits a Shielded guy, remove the lowest die roll and subtract it from the Overkill damage. If you remove a Critical Hit die, also remove all the Bonus Dice that went with it.

Hopefully this stuff doesn't come up too often in actual play.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby stubby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Alternately, for the explosion one, roll damage for the Shielded guys first, and roll the final die of damage for everyone else afterward.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

stubby wrote:Alternately, for the explosion one, roll damage for the Shielded guys first, and roll the final die of damage for everyone else afterward.

I think this is a much better solution. Simple and clean, with no die removal after the fact.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Battlegrinder » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

153. Can creations with full minds be heroes? I've been thinking of having one of my army's heroes be a 40k style dreadnaught, with the badly injured body of hero mining piloting it (or maybe move one of my heroes into the 'naught after they die a few times), but I'd like them to keep their hero feats once inside (though their cliche may change).
Battlegrinder
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 am

Absolutely. Heroes don't stop being heroes just by piloting something, and if they pilot something by being built directly into the hardware, so be it!
IVhorseman

Postby Vason » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 am

stubby wrote:Hopefully this stuff doesn't come up too often in actual play.

Sometimes you REALLY have to kill everything in one shot.
Vason
Champion

Postby Voin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 pm

154. Any special considerations for surface/underwater warfare interface? Shots raining down onto submerged units? Submersible units firing up from the depths? Concealment/cover depending on how murky/icy the water is?

Some specific examples:
* Savage islanders firing arrows and spears on swashbuckling pirates (who are swimming underwater).
* Amphibious frogmen firing harpoons from underwater at target on land.
* Submarine firing ballistic missile (rocket rules? launcher projectile?) against land-based structures.
* Naval destroyer plunking depth-charges at submarine.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Specific rules for these situations aren't hashed out, but there's enough to whip something up in context. For example, murky water is up to player's discretion as long as they both agree. Treat it as either 1/3, 2/3 or blind cover which results in a -1, -2 and -5 penalty respectively.

I've never been shot or shot at underwater, so I'm not sure how quickly projectiles slow down, which would translate to lower damage rolls. I say take the brikwars approach and don't lower the damage because lower damage is less fun. This should cover your islander or frogmen scenarios.

The other two weapons you describe just sound like launchers, and I don't see why they'd need any unique stats.
IVhorseman

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Just for expediency, I'd say treat any cover from water as 1 less than the actual coverage. So if you have 2 points of water cover, treat it as one point. Full submersion would be like 2 points, unless the water is opaque enough to give the Invisible bonus.

Water deflects the angle of projectiles a little bit, but it also deflects light, so your target is often not quite where you think it is.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Zupponn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:08 pm

If you're below a certain point, bullets can't harm you as well.
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby Voin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Zupponn wrote:If you're below a certain point, bullets can't harm you as well.

Well, at that point, regular damage decrease over distance comes into play.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

155. So I looked over the updated Grab rules, which seem to cover things like giant mechs and monsters scooping up handfuls of deliciously crunchy 'figs. But I was wondering how would grabby weapons work?

Grappling Hooks?
Magnetic Grapples with tow-cables shot from snowspeeders?
Sticky-bombs?
Tractor Beams? (this one I assume is just application of Movement SN dice)
Those grappling torpedoes from the Atlantis sets?

Image, Image, Image, Image, Image
Voin
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I think you're right on the money with tractor beams.

Here's a thread talking about grappling hooks, which I don't think we ever got a consensus on like Bonn-o-Tron.
IVhorseman

Postby Coriolanus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 pm

156. Has there been a definitive ruling on how squads take damage from weapons that normally damage everybody? (explosions, flamethrowers, arc-fire) The 2005 rules said that damage is distributed to each squad member, but as I recall it did not directly address the question. I have always read it that all types of damage are taken as a squad, but this creates problems with flamethrowers, since the only way for a flamethrower to damage any squad members is if the flamethrower is larger than the squad, which doesn't make sense.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
Coriolanus
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook