Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Bluefog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Results in a D10 explosion of the immediate area, correct? Or would it result in another roll to see if it was just a malfunction? I just say it automatically explodes, curious to see what you guys do.
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
User avatar
Bluefog
Officer
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Payload hits the target, but doesn't go off. The target gets to use the explosive as a makeshift melee weapon, but if HE crit fails, it does go off.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Dimmy
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I just have the RPG explode.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:34 pm

RPGs are the only weapon where I have something bad happen on a one (for most, I just have the planned attack not take place. Guns misfire, melee weapons slip in their owners hand and he losses his chance to hit, etc). For anything that explodes, I usually flip a coin. Heads, it doesn't go off, tails it detonates too soon (I'm usually not mean enough to have explode on the launcher, but sometimes it does).
Image

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Bluefog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:20 pm

What about if the guy holding the rocket launcher gets killed, would launcher explode too? I've been doing a coin toss for that, but contemplating making it that it will depending on how much overkill there is on the minifig, you know, dude gets killed while about to fire rocket launcher and the attack is a critical success type of deal.
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
User avatar
Bluefog
Officer
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Bluefog wrote:What about if the guy holding the rocket launcher gets killed, would launcher explode too? I've been doing a coin toss for that, but contemplating making it that it will depending on how much overkill there is on the minifig, you know, dude gets killed while about to fire rocket launcher and the attack is a critical success type of deal.


Depends on how they die. I usually have rockets go off only if the guy is killed by an explosive or energy weapon, otherwise the missile is fine (also, if you have a sniper/good luck, sometimes having your troopers target the missiles being carried by your enemies can be more successful than just targeting the enemy).
Image

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 am

Explode unless that team is losing already, unless we're tired of playing and just want the game to end quick.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I suppose it would depend on how realistik your battle is. The real-life Soviet-designed RPG-7 has an inertia-triggered-fuse that arms the warhead in mid-flight, well-away from the operator, once the grenade has built up enough momentum. That's why those sub-literate cave-dwelling terrorist savages in the Taliban can carry them around like armfuls of French bread and (unfortunately) not blow themselves up - Russian engineering is legendary for its ruggedness.

Realistik misfires typically involve the fuse *not* arming for whatever reason (i.e. the grenade not traveling far enough to trigger), and landing somewhere as a dud (part of my duties in the military involved working with such UXOs [UneXploded Ordnance]. Also, the geniuses in the brass apparently don't understand how acronyms work.

One soldier, Channing Moss took an RPG to the torso, and it got stuck there in him, unexploded (but with the very scarily real potential to still go off). The docs had to literally perform rocket-surgery to get it out of him (he lived, thank God).



So in Brikwars terms, I'd say it lands as a dud, and then has a coin-flip or die-roll or whatever chance of going off on subsequent turns. A quick (and stupid daring) minifig might take the initiative to pick it up and fire it back at the enemy.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Voin wrote:I suppose it would depend on how realistik your battle is. The real-life Soviet-designed RPG-7 has an inertia-triggered-fuse that arms the warhead in mid-flight, well-away from the operator, once the grenade has built up enough momentum. That's why those sub-literate cave-dwelling terrorist savages in the Taliban can carry them around like armfuls of French bread and (unfortunately) not blow themselves up - Russian engineering is legendary for its ruggedness.

Realistik misfires typically involve the fuse *not* arming for whatever reason (i.e. the grenade not traveling far enough to trigger), and landing somewhere as a dud (part of my duties in the military involved working with such UXOs [UneXploded Ordnance]. Also, the geniuses in the brass apparently don't understand how acronyms work.

One soldier, Channing Moss took an RPG to the torso, and it got stuck there in him, unexploded (but with the very scarily real potential to still go off). The docs had to literally perform rocket-surgery to get it out of him (he lived, thank God).



So in Brikwars terms, I'd say it lands as a dud, and then has a coin-flip or die-roll or whatever chance of going off on subsequent turns. A quick (and stupid daring) minifig might take the initiative to pick it up and fire it back at the enemy.


^This is boring and kind of racist. It's hilarious when tons of your guys die on low rolls. If you keep rolling like shit and it makes the game unbalanced, then that's when you stop having them blow up.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Silverdream wrote:^This is ... kind of racist.


Lol, since when did the Taliban become a race? They're a terrorist organization that straddles the Pakistan/Afghanistan border, and there's nothing wrong with making fun of them, since they deserve it. If they don't want to be called "sub-literate, cave-dwelling savages", they should learn to read (they obviously don't even read the book of the religion they claim, since the Qur'an prohibits pretty much everything they stand for), stop hiding in caves like the cowards they are, and give up their savage terrorist ways.

Are you implying that making fun of other terrorist groups like al-Qaeda, the KKK, Hezbollah, the Black Panther Party, Hamas, or the Aryan Brotherhood would be racist?

While we're at it, why not look up what that word actually means, so there's no further confusion:

1. the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others
2. abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief


Now, if you were to accuse me of belittling the sort of scum that commit acts of terror, then that assessment would be correct. I really don't care what race/color/nationality/religion they are - the point is that terrorists deserve no respect for their cowardice and atrocities.

Besides, my option was for more realistik battles. You don't like it - don't use it. I'm not forcing it on anyone. But I didn't see anyone else chiming in with real-life military experience.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:23 pm

It just seems far too reminiscient of how American soldiers would treat enemy Japanese in World War II, Vietnamese in the the Vietnam War and Filipinos in the American-Phillipine war. Dehumanizing people is sickening no matter what they've done, and it leads to worse ideas.

Also in my opinion, it goes directly against the spirit of the game to have a realistic brikwar. Then again, it's also in the spirit of the game to go against the rules of the game.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Silverdream wrote:It just seems far too reminiscent of how American soldiers would treat enemy Japanese in World War II, Vietnamese in the the Vietnam War and Filipinos in the American-Philippine war. Dehumanizing people is sickening no matter what they've done, and it leads to worse ideas.

Also in my opinion, it goes directly against the spirit of the game to have a realistic brikwar. Then again, it's also in the spirit of the game to go against the rules of the game.


I understand your point and respect the idea of not dehumanizing people. I was born in the Soviet Union, where that happened all too often with dissidents (including members of my own family), who were hunted down and murdered by the socialist regime. Even here in my adopted homeland of America, I find that the far-right dehumanizes the poor and the foreign, while the far-left dehumanizes the pre-born and the military.

But the common factor in all those is the dehumanization was directed against innocent people. Those who had not gone out of their way to harm anyone.

Criminals and terrorists like the Taliban dehumanize themselves through their inhuman actions. That is why humanity as a whole needs to take a stand against extremism in all it's ugly forms.

P.S. I'm not saying America is entirely blameless, but the Empire of the Rising Sun and the North Vietnamese/Viet Cong treated the Americans much worse. Look up Japanese or Vietnamese P.O.W. camps and try to keep from throwing up/weeping for the lost soul of humanity.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 pm

But we digress...
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm

I know all about Japanese and Vietnamese war crimes. Unit 731, the snuggle of Nanking etc. The Filipino guerillas also tortured captured American soldiers.

What you're saying makes no sense to me. I'm not saying that as an argument against whatever you're arguing, but I really don't understand. The Taliban dehumanize themselves?

I think everyone can agree that extremism is bad, and that's why I'm arguing that we shouldn't dehumanize people. Just because someone else is being horrible doesn't give you the same excuse.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 am

Silverdream wrote:What you're saying makes no sense to me. I'm not saying that as an argument against whatever you're arguing, but I really don't understand. The Taliban dehumanize themselves?


When people go about their lives and don't antagonize each other, there exists a kind of social equilibrium. I don't go after you, you don't go after me, and everything is fine. In this equilibrium, if Bob attacks Joe unprovoked, Bob is in the wrong. Now if at this point, since the equilibrium has been disrupted, Joe chooses to defend himself from Bob's attack, Joe would be right in doing so. Bob brought the retaliation on himself through his own actions.

Before he attacked Joe, it would have been wrong to throw Bob in prison and deny him his freedom, since he was just minding his own business. But through his own actions, Bob chose to deny himself his freedom, since he knew the consequences of his unprovoked assault.

Similarly, we do not go out of our way to attack the Taliban. They have instead gone out of their way to attack us, and the acts they commit are inhuman. Thus, through their own vile actions, they ask for the reprisal by those they antagonize.

Were they to act like human beings, they could be welcome at negotiating talks, and perhaps some peaceful agreements could be reached.

But they choose not to. They choose to continue their pig-headed savagery, senselessly attacking innocents and committing countless crimes against humanity.

What they do is monstrous, and so we vanquish them like monsters.

Silverdream wrote:I think everyone can agree that extremism is bad, and that's why I'm arguing that we shouldn't dehumanize people. Just because someone else is being horrible doesn't give you the same excuse.


I am not saying we should commit war crimes against them like they do to us. We need to remember that to remain the good guys, we must take the high road.

But under no circumstance should we treat their organization as though it is a legitimate, civilized government or nation to be diplomatically reasoned with. It would be like trying to negotiate with the Bloods or Hezbolla or KKK or any other terrorist group or gang of cutthroats. They are a petty band of brigands, rapists, and murderers with delusions of grandeur, nothing more.

While there is hope for the individuals that choose to leave these wretched hives, the organizations have vilified themselves well past the point of any acceptance by civilized society.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Next

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest