Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:00 am

Voin wrote:They have instead gone out of their way to attack us,


Who's us? The Taliban have never attacked me or my country. However I do think that the Taliban is a terrible organization that has committed countless atrocities.

Voin wrote:But they choose not to. They choose to continue their pig-headed savagery, senselessly attacking innocents and committing countless crimes against humanity.

What they do is monstrous, and so we vanquish them like monsters.


This sounds eerily similiar to what Theodore Roosevelt said during one of his speeches, justifying the race war in the Phillipines.

Race-making and Colonial Violence in the US Empire: The Phillipine-American War as Race War wrote: Roosevelt acknowledged and expressed regret for U.S. abuses but claimed that for every American atrocity, “a very cruel and very treacherous enemy” had committed “a hundred acts of far greater atrocity.” Furthermore, while such means had been the Filipinos’ “only method of carrying on the war,” they had been “wholly exceptional on our part.” The noble, universal ends of a war for civilization justified its often unsavory means. “The warfare that has extended the boundaries of civilization at the expense of barbarism and savagery has been for centuries one of the most potent factors in the progress of humanity,” he asserted, but “from its very nature it has always and everywhere been liable to dark abuses.”


Also, I'm very curious to you're opinion on the US military. The Americans have killed tons of civilians in Iraq, tortured people to get information and snuggled people (especially women who are enlisted in the American Army. Are these crimes justified because they fight for a better regime and against an oppressive enemy?
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7557
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 am

Silverdream wrote:
Voin wrote:They have instead gone out of their way to attack us,


Who's us? The Taliban have never attacked me or my country. However I do think that the Taliban is a terrible organization that has committed countless atrocities.


The good people of the world? The non-extremists who just want to live their lives in peace? We humans are all one race, one species. Humanity as a whole must not abide atrocities even agaist the least of us.

But more specifically, they aided and gave shelter to al-Qaeda, and attacked coalition forces when we went into Afghanistan to bring bin-Laden to justice. Note that the the Taliban had no legitimate claim to jurisdiction or sovereinty. This would be like a gang attacking a police force that came to a neighborhood to arrest a criminal.

Silverdream wrote:Also, I'm very curious to you're opinion on the US military. The Americans have killed tons of civilians in Iraq, tortured people to get information and snuggled people (especially women who are enlisted in the American Army. Are these crimes justified because they fight for a better regime and against an oppressive enemy?


Certainly I condemn these vile acts and the scum that commit them. Crimininals like these are a disgrace to the uniform that I, and many of my brohers and sisters in arms wore with honor. Even a firing squad seems too good for them.

However, the media tends to ignore the fact that many of these war crimes are actually commited by Private Military Companies mercenaries, rather than by actual American service-members. Murderous psychopaths who couldn't hack it in the real armed services flocked to Blackwater, Titan, CACI, etc, for a chance to play soldier because they knew they could slaughter civilians and get away with it, being under neither military law, nor the law of the countries they were deployed to. It's only recently that these pretend soldiers have been made accountable under the UCMJ.

Ulimately, even those within the US military that violate the UCMJ or the International Laws and Customs of War are brought to justice. War crimes, snuggle, and indiscriminate slaughter are not what we stand for. Those atrocities are, however what the Taliban stands for. With us, it's a few bad apples that are a stain on our way of life. With them, such brutality is their way of life and the center of their ideology.

This is not a mere blanket statement by some casual spectator. During my time in the military, I had to work closely with Afghans who were driven from their homes by the Taliban, and my training involved learning much about the Pashtun culture and language.

~sigh~If only they had been so motivated to repel those invaders as they had been against the Soviets (who were not invaders, but rather invited in as allies by the Afghan government)...
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 am

Good point about blackwater, I hadn't considered that most of the troops in Iraq were mercenaries. However there are very high rates of female soldiers in the US military getting snuggled by their fellow soldiers (check out the link).
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7557
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Voin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:32 am

Silverdream wrote:Good point about blackwater, I hadn't considered that most of the troops in Iraq were mercenaries.


Thank you - I am pleasantly surprised at how covil our discussion has managed to remain (this being the internet and all).

And that undisciplined mercenary rabble gets paid more than us real warriors. And the the federal government claims they have to do reductions in force becuase there's not enough tax money to keep all the military jobs - but somehow there *is* enough to keep those murderers from Blackwater out there committing war crimes.

Silverdream wrote:However there are very high rates of female soldiers in the US military getting snuggled by their fellow soldiers (check out the link).


Yes, we were made well aware of this tragedy during our training. Again though, the US military condems such evil and actively punishes those who commit it.

The Taliban, however, actively encourage such sin becuase they are insecure about their "manhood".

(from Wikipedia): "Dominating women simply affirmed manhood. For their leadership, rigid fundamentalism was a matter not only of principle, but also of political survival. Taliban leaders "repeatedly told" Rashid that "if they gave women greater freedom or a chance to go to school, they would lose the support of their rank and file.""

They pretend to be real soldiers, they pretend to be real men, and they pretend to be a real government, but they are none of those - their ideology is a plague of hatred and cowardice, and cannot be allwed to contiune by good, moral society.

It is tragic that they chose this path of villainy, but the choice was theirs, and so the consequences are what they bring upon themselves.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
User avatar
Voin
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Voin wrote:Are you implying that making fun of other terrorist groups like... the Black Panther Party... would be racist?


I'm not going to make any assumptions about what you do or don't know about the American Civil Right's movement, but the short answer to that question is: YES VERY.

The problem with your argument is that you're turning it into an "us" vs. "them" situation, which does two very dangerous things. First, it means that anyone who disagrees with "us" is part of "them," which is not in any way shape or form true. Second, it narrows things into a simple binary where one side is 100% right while the other is 100% wrong, and there are no in betweens. The type of argument that relies on othering one group of people in order to alienate them is inherently flawed.

Either way, I'm stepping in as mod and locking this topic before it gets even dumber. We all figured out how an RPG crit fails by now - it causes both sides to drop everything for a stupid politikal argument.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6375
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Previous

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest