Complicated

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Complicated

Postby Nimja » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 pm

I just want to say that the 2010 rules "Structural damage" system is really complicated. Like, too complicated.I prefer 2005 rules, when you had Grinding and Basic damage.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Re: Complicated

Postby Ross_Varn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:15 pm

A salient point, but one better suited for another thread, sirrah!
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Nimja » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Still "The Rulebook" Subforum.
Subforum Description wrote:Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Colette » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Nimja wrote:I just want to say that the 2010 rules "Structural damage" system is really complicated. Like, too complicated.I prefer 2005 rules, when you had Grinding and Basic damage.

If memory serves me correctly, that was in 2005, and was actually one of the easiest parts to learn.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby stubby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Nimja wrote:I just want to say that the 2010 rules "Structural damage" system is really complicated. Like, too complicated.I prefer 2005 rules, when you had Grinding and Basic damage.

Are the 2010 and 2005 damage systems different? I thought they were the same.

Edit: I'm not asking this question just to be a jerk or anything; when I'm working on a new system I start forgetting the details of the previous one. I looked over both rulesets and I don't think I saw any obvious differences, but I could be wrong.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 am

Nimja wrote:Still "The Rulebook" Subforum.
Subforum Description wrote:Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Yes, but this is feedback. To the '10 ruleset. Of which there is a thread stickyed at the very top of the forum you just posted- nevermind.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Nimja » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

stubby wrote:

Are the 2010 and 2005 damage systems different? I thought they were the same.

Edit: I'm not asking this question just to be a jerk or anything; when I'm working on a new system I start forgetting the details of the previous one. I looked over both rulesets and I don't think I saw any obvious differences, but I could be wrong.

Structural Damage is new to 2010. I don't like It beacuse I donbt like to dissasemble my MOCS uless they have just exploded.
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby stubby » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Okay I still have no idea what you're talking about. What's Structural Damage? Are you sure you're not reading BrikWars 2001?
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Gungnir » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm also confused. Ctrl + F revealed no instance of "structure damage" in the 2010 rulebook.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 pm

I see General (Size), Component, and Special Damages (Grinding, General Overkill, Component Overkill, and Target Overkill).
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Nimja » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am

Yes, it was Size damage. It is strang. I'm just trying to say thet the 2005 rules were simpler for that kind of thing.
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby stubby » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm

The 2005 Damage rules worked the same way as far as I can tell.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Nimja » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

No they were :
Code: Select all
If(damage+total grinding damage>armour){
Kaboom();
}else{
CloseButNoCigar();
}
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby stubby » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 pm

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/7.htm#5
2005 wrote:General Damage
Targeting a Creation for General Damage doesn't take a lot of precision – the attacker just has to be able to target any part of the Creation’s central Structure (7.1:Structure). This will often grant a nice bonus to the Attack Roll, since the attacker can take a Size bonus for however much of the Structure is visible to him (+1 bonus per 2” target Size; see 5.1: Making Attacks). If the attack strikes Surface rather than Structural elements of the Creation, it damages the Surface elements specifically rather than doing General Damage (see Component Damage, below).

Size Damage
As when attacking minifigs, General Damage must first exceed the target’s Armor to have any effect. If it does, the target Creation takes one point of Size Damage, represented by sticking a colored Damage Pip to a prominent spot on the Creation or its baseplate. Black or red 1x1 bricks are the usual choice for Damage Pips, although other elements may be used for convenience or better visibility.

When a Creation takes a point of Size Damage, its Move is decreased by 1" (to a minimum of 1") and its abilities are reduced as if its Size were one inch worse. The weapons and devices it can activate during a turn, as well as the Creation's maximum Momentum in a Charge attack, are decreased as if it were one inch smaller. The Creation's Structure Level is decreased to match the new effective Size limit, if necessary, making damaged Creations that much more vulnerable.

If Size Damage is enough to reduce a Creation's effective Size to zero, the Creation is destroyed in the manner that seems most appropriate. Towers collapse, spaceships explode, whales go belly-up, zeppelins burst into flame, and pirate ships sink to the briny bottom. Creations of Size 1" (and Vermin of Size 0") are destroyed on the first point of Size Damage.

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/7.htm#2
2010 wrote:General Damage
Targeting a Creation for General Damage doesn't take a lot of precision – the attacker just has to be able to target any part of its central Structure (7.1: Structure). This will often grant a nice bonus to the Attack Roll, since the attacker can take a Size bonus for however much of the Structure is visible to him (+1 bonus per 2” target Size; see 5.1: Making Attacks). If the attack strikes Surface rather than Structural elements of the Creation, it damages the Surface elements specifically rather than doing General Damage (see Component Damage, below).

Size Damage
As when attacking minifigs, General Damage must first exceed the target’s Armor to have any effect. If it does, the target Creation takes one point of Size Damage, represented by sticking a colored Damage Pip to a prominent spot on the Creation or its baseplate. Black or red 1x1 bricks are the usual choice for Damage Pips, although other elements may be used for convenience or better visibility.

When a Creation has taken Size Damage, the model remains the same physical size, but the Creation's Effective Size is reduced by one inch for each point of Size Damage. The Creation's abilities that are based on its Size are now limited by this new Effective Size instead. The Weapon Size Limit on the number of Weapons and Devices the Creation can activate during a turn (8.1: Weapon Size), the Creation's maximum Momentum Dice in a Charge Attack (9.5: Collisions), and the Creation's maximum Structure Level (7.1: Structure) are decreased to match the new Effective Size.

Additionally, the Creation's Move is decreased by 1" for each point of Size Damage, to a minimum Move of 1".

Any positive advantages that might result from a smaller Effective Size, such as a decreased targeting bonus for attackers, are ignored. The Creation's Size as a physical target hasn't decreased, only its ability levels.

If Size Damage is enough to reduce a Creation's effective Size to zero, then the Creation is destroyed in the manner that seems most appropriate. Towers collapse, spaceships explode, whales go belly-up, zeppelins burst into flame, and pirate ships sink to the briny bottom. Creations of Size 1" (and Vermin of Size 0") are destroyed on the first point of Size Damage.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Nimja » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 pm

I think I was confused. Please lock the topic.
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Next

Return to The Rulebook