Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Structures and vehicles how do

Post by Kastrenzo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm

I want to make sure I'm doing structure and vehicle's right

So size is usually "but doesn't have to be determined by size of the main body in inches"

A tank with a size of 4 . Has an armor rating of what. 4d6?

How does it handle damage. If a roll of dice beats it's sum of armor it loses 1 size? Like a rocket rolling a 9 and the tank rolls an 8 it loses 1 size?

What If the single attack beats the defense more than once? A rpg rolls a 11. But the defense rolls a 5. Does it immediately take 2 size damage?

And with that is it possible to insta kill a structure if the rolls beat it multiple times. Like through over skill or over kill
Lastly am I right in assuming that the only real way to damage structures is to either use extremely heavy weapons like rockets and explosives or to have multiple units attack at same time.

Like 10 mini figs shooting space aKS is more effective than 10 taking turns shooting.

Am I doing this right? Any other pointers on the subject
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Structures and vehicles how do

Post by stubby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Kastrenzo wrote:A tank with a size of 4 . Has an armor rating of what. 4d6?
Anywhere up to Structure Level 4 (Armor 4d10), but I usually put tanks at 3d10. (Tanks are the named example for Structure Level 3.)

Kastrenzo wrote:How does it handle damage. If a roll of dice beats it's sum of armor it loses 1 size? Like a rocket rolling a 9 and the tank rolls an 8 it loses 1 size?
That's the basic way to do damage. There are more complicated ways to do it if enemies are targeting a specific component of trying to grind down the armor or something, but for normal damage that's correct.

Kastrenzo wrote:What If the single attack beats the defense more than once? A rpg rolls a 11. But the defense rolls a 5. Does it immediately take 2 size damage?
Armor can be decreased by size damage, so you roll it again for each new point of size damage. So you take eleven damage, roll five armor, that's one point of size damage. There's six damage left over, you roll armor again for four armor, that's a second point of size damage. And so forth.

Kastrenzo wrote:And with that is it possible to insta kill a structure if the rolls beat it multiple times. Like through over skill or over kill
Yes. No matter how powerful your structure, there's always a tiny chance that it can get taken out in one hit. Nothing is ever completely safe.

Kastrenzo wrote:Lastly am I right in assuming that the only real way to damage structures is to either use extremely heavy weapons like rockets and explosives or to have multiple units attack at same time.
Overskill, Bennies, and Momentum bonuses also help. But even one guy with a hatchet can bust his way in eventually by using Grinding Damage to weaken the armor over several turns.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Kastrenzo wrote:So size is usually "but doesn't have to be determined by size of the main body in inches"

While the topic of vehicles is up, I wondered if I could get a quick clarification. Exactly what is the scope for measuring beyond a structures physical size for its structure level? I've always gone with just creative rounding, but I've seen people count a mecha's legs as part of the measurement. I'd always thought that if it is measured as part of the structure level, then it can't be a subcomponent, and therefore can't count as a propulsion device. If this is the case, then is any arbitrary measurement off the table? Or am I just making too many assumptions.
Kastrenzo wrote:or to have multiple units attack at same time.
Don't underestimate multiple units, they'll dish out a surprising amount of damage.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 pm

dilanski wrote:While the topic of vehicles is up, I wondered if I could get a quick clarification. Exactly what is the scope for measuring beyond a structures physical size for its structure level? I've always gone with just creative rounding, but I've seen people count a mecha's legs as part of the measurement. I'd always thought that if it is measured as part of the structure level, then it can't be a subcomponent, and therefore can't count as a propulsion device. If this is the case, then is any arbitrary measurement off the table? Or am I just making too many assumptions.
Officially, legs are not included. Unless your robot stores its power source in its feet, I shouldn't be able to decrease your power level by shooting your foot off.

Unofficially, do whatever you want. If you feel like your robot is more powerful than its torso size would imply, then give it extra inches. Lots of people claim to have more inches than they really do, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?