Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Do you guys like it?

Yes
69%
No (state why)
31%

Total votes : 16

Postby pesgores » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Who shoots first and hits and has a good damage rolls kills the other. Of course, the guy with the laser pistol has far more chance of getting a good damage roll and probably skill roll. And if they shoot at the same time, the shot hits the other first, but he may also die from the slingshot.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Greenkey15 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

*sigh*

What I'm saying is, with the old rules a slingshot and a laser pistol are the SAME THING. With my house rules, it is more realistic and can be more chaotic at the same time. I don't care if you use them, but I WILL, and you can not stop me. It is a simple enough list, and if you feel the need to make a slingshot, you can do so.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:37 am

Sling shot are just as powerful as laser guns, haven't you seen starwars episode VI.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:25 pm

I've added a poll to it to see if you guys like it or not. I really didn't get any information from any of the posts except for the first one.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:54 pm

No (state why):

I personally like slingshots and laser pistols having the same basic stats. If slingshots were way crappier than lasers, there'd be no reason to give anyone a slingshot, and everyone would have lasers. Since they're the same, players can worry less about equipment's tactical efficiency, and more about what looks cool to them.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:32 pm

IVhorseman wrote:No (state why):

I personally like slingshots and laser pistols having the same basic stats. If slingshots were way crappier than lasers, there'd be no reason to give anyone a slingshot, and everyone would have lasers. Since they're the same, players can worry less about equipment's tactical efficiency, and more about what looks cool to them.

Which also turns the game into a Zerg-o-Mania FunFair. Really, all that matters in the game now is who has more, and who gets luckier die rolls. Also, if you used CP, then your worries would be totally diminished. But if you don't, I can see your argument being true, as everyone would have guns that do over 9000!!! d6 damage with a use rating of 1. I'm going to add Pesgores' TekLevels to the chart pretty soon, which should balance things out quite a bit, too. I'm going to add a "silenced" trait to weapons, too, which would balance out the gap between the "slingshot and laser pistol" as well.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby Doopliss » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Greenkey15 wrote:Which also turns the game into a Zerg-o-Mania FunFair. Really, all that matters in the game now is who has more, and who gets luckier die rolls.

You need more special creations. Just saying.
Doopliss
Hero

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:41 am

No (state why): because it isn't as much about weapon tactics as it is about troop tactics (do you let then run over the field like maniacs, let them take cover and wait for the dude with the rocket launcher to take out the tank, moving them to higher ground for a better position, let them wait around the corner for an ambush, where you put your snipers and vehicles or drop some figs behind enemy lines). It is these kinds of things that deside who wins and who kills more. and with all those different weapons you would need to go and look at their stats every time you want to fire a different gun and that would really slow the game down.
It is fine the way it is!!!!!
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby tahthing » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:22 am

if you don't have cp then every unit would be heavyly armord and weilding railguns, while being backed up by heavyly armord tanks with more railguns.
with out cp people play about more since theres the excuse that your oponent put a better army together.
let the ewoks destroy the tanks its funny.
though a massive slingshot shoudnt be better than a railgun,
saying a weapon has a range of so-and-so a damage of so-and-so and a blast radius of so-and-so.
a sling shot would have lower attack and lower range but higher blast radius
a laser would have higher attack and higher range but no blast radius
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:15 am

There are always things you can do to balance out less advanced factions. Generally, instead of worrying about crappy long range weapons like slingshots, I give them a lot of CC weapons. Close-Combat units can cause real damage to enemy troops if they swarm and get close enough.

And remember that under the Brikwars rules virtually ANY weapon can be made larger. This means that while you can have tanks wielding MKIII Rail Guns, you can also have crossbows scaled up to MKIII size and mounted on carts. Also remember that advanced cultures don't necessarily have a monopoly on explosives.

Finally, if neither of these things appeals to you, keep in mind that in Brikwars, only the stats are important. It doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest if a bazooka is a rocket launcher or a bow firing Magikal exploding arrows.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Greenkey15 wrote:Really, all that matters in the game now is who has more, and who gets luckier die rolls.

Which is the entire basic concept of wargaming.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Cpl. Halan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Greenkey15 wrote:Then let me change my example- A MINIFIG WITH A LAZER PISTOL VS A MINIFIG WITH A SLINGSHOT.

and then they shoot at eachother for about 10 rounds, neither one hits and someone else's tank blows them to bits
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby stubby » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Greenkey15 wrote:I'm going to add Pesgores' TekLevels to the chart pretty soon, which should balance things out quite a bit, too. I'm going to add a "silenced" trait to weapons, too, which would balance out the gap between the "slingshot and laser pistol" as well.

My question is, if you want to go to all the work of recreating the BW2001 troopers' arsenal, why not just use the BW2001 troopers' arsenal?
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Greenkey15 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:58 pm

stubby wrote:
Greenkey15 wrote:I'm going to add Pesgores' TekLevels to the chart pretty soon, which should balance things out quite a bit, too. I'm going to add a "silenced" trait to weapons, too, which would balance out the gap between the "slingshot and laser pistol" as well.

My question is, if you want to go to all the work of recreating the BW2001 troopers' arsenal, why not just use the BW2001 troopers' arsenal?

It's not balanced for 2005. I've tried it, it doesn't work. This I've playtested, and it's fair.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby Cpl. Halan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 pm

yeah, the guns are too powerful
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook