Launchers are Underpowered

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Launchers are Underpowered

Postby Doopliss » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:45 am

Launchers are more expensive, harder to aim, and take up twice the space as three Rockets of the same payload. Primarily, this is because Payload Size can only be half of the Launcher's size. Firing a Size 2 Explosive requires a Size 4 Launcher, which will run you 14 CP (12 for the launcher, 2 for the Explosive) and a Use of 8. A Size 2 Rocket, on the other hand, costs only 4 CP with a Use 4. The cost doesn't balance out until you carry six rounds, but you could only fire that many in a battle much longer than normal. Multiple Rockets can also be fired at once, while Launchers can only fire once a turn at most.

It seems to me that Launchers should, for a start, be much cheaper. Without Explosive payloads, they're a harder-to-aim, longer range, half-damage Gun for the same cost. Also, to make them more valuable for long-range artillery, they should either get a range increase or the range of Rockets should be decreased (I'm leaning toward the latter).
Doopliss
Hero

Postby Professor Ken » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Launchers are made for medieval types who otherwise lack any sort of heavy artillery whatsoever. I can see why they might have a high Use rating in that case, but I think that the current rules make them rather redundant when high-powered plasma howitzers are readily available.
Were it that simple...
Professor Ken
Officer

Postby tahthing » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 pm

these weapons are for fluffy* armys not for more serious players

*fluff in wargameing terms means backround storys, why whould a medival army have rocket launchers?
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Doopliss » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:25 pm

No arguments there, but to keep everything balanced they should have a lower CP cost. That's also important to balance them against every other use of CP, as well as rockets. Since CP is an entirely meta-variable, it wouldn't affect anything on the realism front. As is now, they're almost always a worse bet than a gun (ballista), even when attacking walls.

It's not as if modern/future Launchers don't exist either. They just fire explosives that, in BrikWars, would be better off firing themselves. Even from a realism standpoint, it seems like they should have some kind of Range edge over Rockets.

How about upgrading standard Payloads to 1d10 damage as well? Seems like being smashed by a Minifig-sized chunk of rock would do more damage than an arrow.
Doopliss
Hero

Postby tahthing » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:47 pm

rockets have there own contiuous propotion (some do not all be for theres a rant), so they have a good range, a launcher has a single shot, the advantage is that with a launcher you can ram eneything that fits down the barrel (it uses a charge in the barrel to launch it,whats your problem), but they should be cheaper.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Doopliss » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:06 pm

You can only use half of what you can ram down the barrel, BrikWars-wise. :P

It seems to me that rockets would have a lot more space dedicated to exploding then moving, since they have the same blast as a pure explosive.
Doopliss
Hero

Postby tahthing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm

hmmm
a rocket to be more explosive and remane the same size has to ether A:have more explosive but that makes it heavyer and have smaller engine or B:have better explosives but that makes it more expencive.
thats pretey much it for rockets they ether sacrific one for the other or become more expencive(brikwars wise since they are makeing better and cheaper rockets) though that adds more complexity of what colour nose head is what.
a launcher should launch everly think it can fit since its funny, those hollow tower parts are now gonna become mortas to fire tanks and stuff,
*gose and starts searching for parts* all i can say its so orky it can be called a waaaaagh machine
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby birdman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm

your mortars fire tanks?
birdman
Galidor

Postby tahthing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm

once i finise my project yes, thats why my tank is like that it makes repairs easyer after inpact, hmm how many tanks to take don't that Armord core.... maybe a building or two.....
EDIT:
done
Image eat that!

size comparison
you can also see the updates I've done on my tank, and my new carpet now litterd with lego
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby pesgores » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Mortars that shoot tanks...this is all what Brikwars is about.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby randomno12 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:44 pm

i don't get tahthing's post. its a tank,,, and a box?
CAKE OR DEATH? That is the question...
randomno12
Officer

Postby birdman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:04 pm

that is a ridiculously brikwarsy weapon. good job!
birdman
Galidor

Postby tahthing » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 am

randomno12 wrote:i don't get tahthing's post. its a tank,,, and a box?

in the box theres explosives to fire the tank!
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby pesgores » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 pm

tahthing wrote:
randomno12 wrote:i don't get tahthing's post. its a tank,,, and a box?

in the box theres explosives to fire the tank!

I can't understand why there are no prizes for most Brikwars-ey people?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Return to The Rulebook