Rules Revision

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:47 pm

I agree with Zip. It should be like "Start out with Quikwars, quick and simple. Then upgrade to Brikwars, the main game. Then supersize to Fully Loaded Brikwars, for those of you who have giant brains and 8 hours to spare."

I kind of like coming up with my own rules though, and customizing them to balance out the game. However, the in-book rules could come in handy for people that are just testing out the whole advanced rules thing.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

The Dude of Time returns...

Postby Timedude » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm

I just can't wait for the next version of the rules. I remember first discovering the 2005 rules when they first came out in 2006 (yes, sounds incorrect, but, strangely true), and I wish I played more. Brikwars was why I bought my first set of d10s. And it was rip roaring fun. I just can't wait to see what the future brings. Hopefully more artwork by our illustrious Rayhawk. Always a treat, sir. I may have to start army building using my brother's massive bunch of Legos (since I gave him mine as I'm moving out of the house soon and didn't user them much anyway). In any case, I can't wait.

A few things I really liked from past editions that I feel should be in the latest edition:
-Dimmies and Dungans. Somehow, these two 'iconic' units got skipped over in 2005, and I feel like they need to get 'official' stat cards for the latest edition.
-Mediks. Gotta have em. The other one too.. Engineers, is it? Yeah. I like that too.
-I remember some old autofire rules from a while ago (coulda been a few years by now), which basically amounted the distance between thumb and forefinger for spray area or something... I dunno how that worked exactly, I just remember it seemed ingenious at the time.
-A few basic vehicle types. A light car, a tank, a walker, a flyer. Just some basic stuff for those who are so inclined.
-Some more of the old flavor. I love the old 1998 rules for the different 'galactic civilizations'. Sure, they would have been a mess to play, but they looked like a ton of fun. I still want to play the spies.

I guess that's really about it. Look forward to it.

-TheSnackist (still says Timedude)
-TheSnackist
AKA Timedude
AKA Your New Benefecent Ruler (Lesser Games Division)
stubby wrote:What the hell! Timedude is here??

:? Well all I can say is,
8) it's about . . . time . . .
:csi:
Timedude
Cannon Fodder

Re: The Dude of Time returns...

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

What the hell! Timedude is here??

Timedude wrote:A few things I really liked from past editions that I feel should be in the latest edition:
-Dimmies and Dungans. Somehow, these two 'iconic' units got skipped over in 2005, and I feel like they need to get 'official' stat cards for the latest edition.
-Mediks. Gotta have em. The other one too.. Engineers, is it? Yeah. I like that too.
-I remember some old autofire rules from a while ago (coulda been a few years by now), which basically amounted the distance between thumb and forefinger for spray area or something... I dunno how that worked exactly, I just remember it seemed ingenious at the time.
-A few basic vehicle types. A light car, a tank, a walker, a flyer. Just some basic stuff for those who are so inclined.
-Some more of the old flavor. I love the old 1998 rules for the different 'galactic civilizations'. Sure, they would have been a mess to play, but they looked like a ton of fun. I still want to play the spies.

All of these are already in the new revision in some form or another (if you count the Horse chapter as covering the basic vehicle types). For flavor, instead of Galactik Civilizations, there's a bunch of stuff based on the stuff already in the wiki. BW2010's been on hold for a few months while I've been moving (again), but we're just finishing unpacking and I'm getting back on the BW horse.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:39 am

Wooo! Timedude posted!

I believe the autofire rules were made on these forums. It's possible that they are in the '05 ruleset, but I'm not quite sure. And if you want flavor, go look at the wiki... we've cooked up enough galactic mayhem to last any number of campaigns.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby mm233 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm

SweeT!!!(note the capital T. :lol: )

stubby said:All of these are already in the new revision in some form or another (if you count the Horse chapter as covering the basic vehicle types). For flavor, instead of Galactik Civilizations, there's a bunch of stuff based on the stuff already in the wiki. BW2010's been on hold for a few months while I've been moving (again), but we're just finishing unpacking and I'm getting back on the BW horse.

You gonna put the Assyrians, Vol, Stranians, The Scarlet Maskirovkas, Immortal Empire, and anything else you can think of in there!?!?!

As said before "SweeT!!!"

wish I had my army a little more beefed up and post/on the wiki by not but I haven't been able to order anything of BrickLink recently. :cry:

(oh interesting! i didn't know just typing "the wiki" will make a link!"

well I can't wait till the new version is completed.
TROLOLO
mm233
Officer

The Dude of Time returns... [pt 2]

Postby Timedude » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Ha, nice Stubhawk. That is the new moniker these days, right? I saw somebody else use it, so, eh, why not? Yep, it's good to be back, though. I miss this place. Just browsing a few topics quickly gives way to mayhem... Much like the game it represents. I love it all over again. Anybody from the old Frappr days till around? IVHorseman or anybody? I wish I remembered all your names, but... Can't say I do. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the 15 year anniversary edition. (feeling old yet, stubs?) Let me know if there's anything I can do around here. Why makes the best sigs these days? I'm feeling a change of name, sig, and avatar coming up. I was just browsing some of the old threads from my last login, a year and a half ago, I think about. Enough rambling. Resume randomization!

Oh, two other units I'd love to see return:
-Green Things from old 1998
-those spider things that would lay mines inside your head... what were those called? Ah! Headhugger droids. Those would be sweet.

Green Things before anything else, of course.

-TheSnackist rides again!
(Timedude)
-TheSnackist
AKA Timedude
AKA Your New Benefecent Ruler (Lesser Games Division)
stubby wrote:What the hell! Timedude is here??

Timedude
Cannon Fodder

Re: The Dude of Time returns... [pt 2]

Postby aoffan23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Timedude wrote:Why makes the best sigs these days? I'm feeling a change of name, sig, and avatar coming up.

I tried J+B and Soap, but neither ended up getting done. They still make some pretty good sigs, but J+B's gone now so try Soap, he's got a thread for them in artwork.
Tzan wrote:

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

mm233 wrote:You gonna put the Assyrians, Vol, Stranians, The Scarlet Maskirovkas, Immortal Empire, and anything else you can think of in there!?!?!

Well, not those so much. I'm staying away from people's personal intellectual property and sticking to the bigger-picture stuff. Jawjaws, spacemen, protofigs, the gray shift, etc.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Aww. That would be awesome.

Put the Immortals in at least.

Most of the old guard is still here, Timedude, including, I like to think, myself. Doc X, Blitzen, and NatalayAF seem to have disappeared though.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby aoffan23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Natalya's posted a few times recently, I think she's just less active.
Tzan wrote:

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby dilanski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 am

Add rules for deflector shields.
ImageImageImage
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Warhead » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Aww. That would be awesome.

Put the Immortals in at least.

Most of the old guard is still here, Timedude, including, I like to think, myself. Doc X, Blitzen, and NatalayAF seem to have disappeared though.

That would be insulting to others here so no, even though I would love to see the Immortals or any of my other armies used I have to agree with Stubby.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Yea, if the Immortals, 45th Union, or Assyrians get into the rulebook, every dimmy will want their tiny little army in there, too.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:01 am

Yeah, I guess so. Ah well. At least the basic premise of the guys we have made up will be added.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Strana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Once the rules revision is out ill start reworking the capital ship rules. especially heath to size to cp, expect math
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas
Strana
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook